Loves And Dislikes Of Boating On The Broads

Gracie

Just recently I saw towels hanging over the bow rails and out of cabin windows on a boat recently which for some reason I loathe,  just for a bit of fun what are your pet hates and loves of boating on the Broads?..........

The hate thing for me is the towels obviously, if you can't get them dry go buy a ruddy new one :naughty:

Apart from the obvious of just being on the Broads, I absolutely love the waves and banter from passing boats, that can really put a smile on your face and a spring in your step. We were passing a boat with a couple of fisherman fishing, my friend and me were helming and sat together on the double helm seat, im indoors and mate having a beer in the saloon, the sliding roof back, im indoors called across to one of the gents, "you missed a bite mate"...."Too busy looking at your girls mate" came the reply, not only did that make my day but turning to wave and say thank you I nearly crashed the boat into the ruddy reeds lol :facepalm:

Anyone got any specific loves and hates, friendly replies only thank you :kiss

Grace

• Like 11

Yes number one being on the boat,The friendliness of boating in the main.The endless sky's even in this day and age it can be peaceful. Not so good speeding loud people,taking up to much space and not thinking of others.The high overall out weigh the lows.:Stinky:wave

Ian

• Like 5

Oh Ray, that is so my favourite stretch too, takes a lot to beat that one and Dave, honestly that goes without saying, giving the boat back is one of the hardest things to go through in life I reckon, I'm sure I've come close to being arrested on occasion (still, that can't be a bad thing :naughty:)

Grace

• Like 5

I dislike (rather than hate) seeing the "Jolly Roger" being flown UNLESS the crew are also dressed up in the part. When a little bit of effort has been made in the name of fun, then I don't mind.

I love the height of the season when there are so many people out there having fun together.

I dislike seeing boats leave a mooring just as mooring fees are being collected. It doesn't matter how much the mooring fee is, you moored there, you pay the bill. For me especially annoying when the fare dodger is a private cruiser.

I love the peaceful cruising to be had out of the main boating season.

I dislike misbehaving children, especially in pubs.

I love the periods between the height of the season and "out of season" when the rivers have a few active boats, and the promise of my favourite times ahead.

I dislike being told what I should/should not  be enjoying. If someone gets their jollies watching Corrie/EastEnders whilst moored in the most beautiful spot in the world, they are happy and enjoying themselves. They are doing no wrong and nobody should tell them that they are !

! love the people watching there is to be had. I love helping moorers when it's wanted, I love.... well all of it really. 

• Like 17

• deebee29 changed the title to Loves And Dislikes Of Boating On The Broads

I hate absolutely everything  about the Broads. From the moment I arrive to the the two finger salute to the place as I leave. What I love is arriving home thinking I don't have to go there again for a couple of months! :51_scream: 

Nurse! Can I have my tablets please?

Fred

• Like 8

No Gracie, not the wrong word given that I hate the idea of that poor dog being cruelly treated ( another recent thread) and that the word hate is totally appropriate. It's just that I cannot think of any "normal" human activity that I dislike to the extent of hatred. ( just for the sake of Timbo, I will point out that it is the activity I refer to as "normal", not the human.)

My view of badly behaved children covers anywhere that they are, when I'm there too. Though whilst they annoy me, my view of their parents contains words I don't yet even know how to spell, let alone their meanings.

• Like 2

Was you a refereeing to me?

My attitude has changed over the years as I changed from a hirer to an owner. I don't mean I've suddenly crawled up my own bum which sometimes seems to happen when someone purchases a boat... I intensely dislike that attitude . No I mean the Broads has become much more personal, the people of the Broads, both boaters and locals, have a greater importance than when I was a holiday maker.

My pet hates are litter louts. Together with boat hooks and parents who don't watch with their kids. Oh yes MM... The sound of Coronation East End Street Farm Neighbours blaring out over a beautiful landscape. Oh and folks who lie in bed and moan when others want to be up and about. My 'loves' in a post when I get out of the airport.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 2

Skippers (Private and Hire) that berth alongside in 'Water only Points' and then stay there, Ludham Bridge area public moorings being a prime example.  That attitude is so selfish beyond belief.  When I need water and I see this has happened, it's like a red rag to a bull - I go alongside them without asking dragging the hose over their cabin roofs etc.  As soon as they say owt, I don't even reply - Just point to the sign where it states mooring for water only.  Pointless arguing with their kind, to be fair to them though, they probably can't read      :pcwhack:

Griff

• Like 10

Just now, brandenjg said:

I love seeing all the different boats cruising past but very much dislike the size that some of the boats have become. IMHO 50ft plus shouldnt be on the Broads

Branden

I think u will find a wherry is bigger than 50 foot n they traded here , few hire craft are that big but that said I see your point bigger craft take up 2-3 mooring spaces and the way to go it seams is build em big in the hire market but there isn't the infrastructure to support doing that maybe the hire company's should share the moorings cost lease wise with BA