Update On The Swing Bridges

• Guest changed the title to Update On The Swing Bridges

Hi Mark for the last week the bridges have only been opening later in the day, we didn't get held up too much  last weekend as we only need 8' 6'ft Our neighbour only got back to his moorings at  Brundall at 11.30 last night.

tel numbers

Somerleyton 01502 730510  Reedham 01603 675372

Good luck, enjoy.

John

Hi John. I have bridge numbers wanted the contact at the BA

I didn't bother last weekend as I knew they would be stuck. 

Having got stuck at reedham a few weeks ago when they lost power I'm getting fed up with them. Every year it's the same old story. 

Mind you the BA do nothing so maybe I should just stay at home!!!

if I get stuck the wrong side of Somerleyton, even at low tide I can't get through. At least I can at reedham. 

• Like 1

Its been cool and breezy all day today so no need for the only after 1700hrs swings as a result of heat anyway. 

They just seem to do what suits.  

In my opinion Network Rail need to pull their finger out and take the necessary steps with the infrastructure to provide reliable openings and the BA in taking our money should be on to them and making sure they are doing it! 

For starters when did either bridge last get a coat of paint?!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

Hi John. I have bridge numbers wanted the contact at the BA

I didn't bother last weekend as I knew they would be stuck. 

Having got stuck at reedham a few weeks ago when they lost power I'm getting fed up with them. Every year it's the same old story. 

Mind you the BA do nothing so maybe I should just stay at home!!!

if I get stuck the wrong side of Somerleyton, even at low tide I can't get through. At least I can at reedham. 

Hi Mark what is your air draft? at 9 foot 8 inches we have managed to get under Somerleyton bridge but it is a faff and not on in wet weather.

Whilst there are obviously people who use the trains for those of us that dont in this area they are the cause of a lot of inconvenience to road and river users.  

Some of us not only get affected by the inadequate swing bridges but also by the traffic chaos in Oulton Broad caused by the the Level Crossings.

I need to go to North Lowestoft soon, what with Oulton Broad and now the roadworks on Battery Green in Lowestoft Im wondering if I should take a few days food and water with me! 

• Like 1

This is the latest update on the bridges.

Broads Authority has been informed by Network Rail that all swing bridges will be closed to river traffic from 10:00 until 19:00 on Wednesday 21 June 2017 due to extreme temperatures.

It looks as if I am going to inform my fellow owners that Somerleyton is going to be an issue yet again.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Lowestoft Bridge gives priority to commercial shipping but not pleasure craft, perhaps understandably. Network rail just does not maintain its bridges. Time for local MP's to act on our behalf.

This is what is required of the railway companies:

15User of bridges.

Where the company constructs a bridge with an opening span, it shall not be lawful for the company to detain any vessel, barge, or boat at the bridge for a longer time than may be necessary for admitting a carriage or engine traversing the railway and approaching the bridge to cross the bridge, and for opening the bridge to admit the vessel, barge, or boat to pass; and the company shall be subject to and shall abide by such regulations with regard to the user of the bridge as may from time to time be made by the Board of Trade.

If the company detains a vessel, barge, or boat longer than the time aforesaid, or fails in any respect to abide by any such regulation as aforesaid, they shall for every such offence be liable to a penalty not exceeding twenty pounds, without prejudice to any remedy against them for any loss or damage sustained by any person.