What's this bit called ??

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh! I thought it was another competition. Looks like the raw water pump Luke, the plate gives access to change the impeller, and a nice easy one to get at too from that photo.

It pumps water around the heat exchanger to allow heat transference between the engine coolant and the sea or river water, then chucks the sea water into the exhaust elbow to cool the exhaust and silencer (if any) which then chucks it back in the sea along with the exhaust gas.

is that the strainer on top of it Lucky?

if so it looks like easy access too, I like it.

the arrow is pointing to the engine it is the but which makes the boat move.

unless as David says you mean the raw water pump, which pumps river water through the heat exchanger then out of the exhaust.

Did you just edit your post David or was that a Lake sailor :)

Hi Luke

Look at the state of those engines. Best you get in there with some cleaning products mate, as they make mine look positively spotless :lol:

Just to expand on David's description, the raw water pump sucks water from the river/sea via the water intake on the front of your outdrives, pumps it up through the weed filter (the big black canister on top) and then through the heat exchanger where the water absorbs heat from the fresh water that circulates around the engine. It is finally injected into the exhaust pipe to come back out of the outdrive above the props.

That reminds me though, I really must get a couple of spare impellers before we venture to far.

Ah, that makes a bit of sense then. I started the boat this morning, just for a little tick over, and a little water dripped from here onto the fan belt below.

It wasn't too much at all, and stopped dripping after about one minute. I couldn't be 100% sure that it was actually coming from inside there, but it looked like it from where I was looking...

I'll keep an eye on it from now on, and if it does it again I'll get 'someone' to have a look at it - at least now I will be able to say (confidently) "Ah, yes mate, think theres a problem with the impeller/water pump mate - yeah...." rather than - "erm, erm.... its dripping from somewhere near there..." pointing. lol !!

the arrow is pointing to the engine it is the but which makes the boat move.

Yep, I guessed that was what you knowledgeable peeps call an "engine" !! lol !!

No, seriously, I really need to get on a course and try and learn some of this stuff !

Hi Luke

Look at the state of those engines. Best you get in there with some cleaning products mate, as they make mine look positively spotless :lol:

Fancy a job Mark ?? lol !!

That reminds me though, I really must get a couple of spare impellers before we venture to far.

Would you get a better deal on four Mark ? I'm guessing I should have a spare ??

I've just had a brilliant idea !!!

Must win the quiz on Wednesday, then the set of questions next Wednesday would be pictures of bits of the engine and you have to say what it is, and what it does !!! lol !!!

Could save myself a few pennies on a course !! lol !!!

Seriously though, as its the strainer thing on top, I take it that I should undo the black thing and clear out any poop thats in there.... ? I'll get onto that later today !

Seriously though, as its the strainer thing on top, I take it that I should undo the black thing and clear out any poop thats in there.... ? I'll get onto that later today !

It should have a basket inside Luke take it out and give it a rinse, word of warning, if the strainer is below the waterline make sure you turn off the seacock before taking the top off. Sterndrive ones that take water through the drive are always above the waterline (well if the boat's floating they are) but those that take water through a skin fitting are sometimes below. Oh, and don't drop the big "O" ring under the screw on cap in the oggin. :grin:

Just to add to Davids post again (sorry David, but Lukes boat is exactly the same as mine :grin: ). DONT take of the lid with the engine running (I know it sounds obvious but you never know). Yes, you should check and clean them out regulary. When you unscrew the lid, there will be a flat black plastic disk underneath with a tab on to hel you geta grip on it. This can sometimes get a bit stuck to the o-ring below so just be a bit careful if trying to prise it off.

No need to worry about water coming in, as David says, they are above the waterline. However, if you undo them just after stopping the engine, there may be a bit of back-pressure that pushes a drop of water out. Don't worry, it won't be much.

Must win the quiz on Wednesday, then the set of questions next Wednesday would be pictures of bits of the engine and you have to say what it is, and what it does !!! lol !!!

Could save myself a few pennies on a course !! lol !!!

Would you really trust the answers you got Lucky.

I can just imagine you phoning a mechanic and saying,

Yes it is definitely the fandogle block that has come away from the doobyjob whatsit, they told me in the quiz.

:Stinky

Good to see you've already had it all to bits and know where stuff is Mark, I know Luke hasn't but then again I bet you can't start your engine by magic, he can :grin: . BTW did you see those lovely run dry quick change impeller covers in this month's MBM?.

DONT take of the lid with the engine running (I know it sounds obvious but you never know).

Never, ever assume I know ANYTHING about engines !! Thanks for pointing this out - its something I could of easily done !!!

Would you really trust the answers you got Lucky.

I can just imagine you phoning a mechanic and saying,

Yes it is definitely the fandogle block that has come away from the doobyjob whatsit, they told me in the quiz.

:Stinky

Any mechanics that know me would understand !! lol !! (while seeing pound note signs in their eyes !!)

I did indeed! What I couldn't work out though, is how the lobes wouldn't still disintegrate?

The sides of the lobes do a lot of the sealing work Mark, (hence having to replace the end plate when it gets worn) so a lot of friction and heat is built up there if a run dry exists. Mind you I still wouldn't do it on purpose, but the quick change facility is an attraction when you have to change them at sea.

post-699-136713648982_thumb.jpg

The idea of the "Onboard Kit" is brilliant, so I've done a bit of digging and found the above. The Volvo Part number for my KAD42's is 876792 - but for the life of me I can't find a supplier....

Is anyone friendly with Volvo ??

Is anyone friendly with Volvo ??

We have our own Volvo inside man Luke, he should be able to point you in the right direction if your local man in Lake Lothing won't play ball.

Mind you he never seems to be about when you need him. :grin:

If you ever do get caught out you could try what I did once when I got stuck without a impeller, I piped the shower pump into the sea cock then onto the heat exchanger. not a perminant solution but it got me home :dance

a word of warning, make sure you get the o ring on the strainer properly as sometimes they dont seal, or the plastic has gone a bit hard and the lid is not done up properly, check the exhausts for water after just to be sure.

I emailed a Volvo company that a mate of mine used to own in Great Yarmouth. The email has just come back with these prices:-

Onboard Kit £110.55

Tool Kit £124.55

Service Kit £71.13

Obviously don't need the Volvo branded tool kit, just was interested. Chap said I can have 10% discount. Wish my mate still owned it !!!!!