What's this bit called ??

it is only a fanbelt a impeller and roll of tape isnt it? .

No it's not, it's a fanbelt and a roll of tape in a pretty box with Volvo Penta on the outside. :naughty:

Clive's right though Luke you'd be better off sourcing the parts seperalely from say Coastal Rides or anywhere really and buying your own box for it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's also French Marine in Rackheath. I;ve yet to go up there yet, but I'll bet they won't be the cheapest..... :o

I note you say you have KAD42's in your boat Luke. I thought I had the same engines as you, but I have AD41's, but from the photo they look the same from what I can see. Anyone shed any light on what the differences are?

With regard to the service kits etc, I am going to take the part numbers for the oil and secondary fuel filters to Panks in Norwich. I got Crosland primary fuel filters from there last week for £4.01p each! That's about £15 less than I expected as they are huge great things!

Nope, they are KAD42's, the same that I had in the F33 - 230hp - this was the main reason why I bought Wendy Woo..... Remember our conversation about hp when on the boat ?

Yes indeedy, I certainly do. I misheard and thought they were 200hp's, which mine are, but with 230's in that must be very fast indeed :naughty:

There's also French Marine in Rackheath. I;ve yet to go up there yet, but I'll bet they won't be the cheapest...

I think they are there or there abouts Mark I have used them for my Yanmar parts both Rackheath and of late Levington always very helpful. Benefit is they are on your doorstep so always available for advice.

I looked at the Yanmar spares kit and came to the conclusion as many on this thread that purchasing the items individually works out much more cost effective with the added knowledge that you are buying what you need rather than what they think you will need. For Yanmar I have always purchased genuine Oil Filters but engine and primary Racor Filters I keep my eye on ASAP Supplies who do the Yanmar match and wait for one of their periodic offers and stock up at that point. Can't have too many as back up in my view. Don't forget spare belts.

Thanks for the info Jill, and Ian - what a good site !!

The main problem is I guess is that I don't know what bits to actually buy and put in the box. Obviously an impeller, but there's lots of belts and stuff.....

Thanks for the info Jill, and Ian - what a good site !!

The main problem is I guess is that I don't know what bits to actually buy and put in the box. Obviously an impeller, but there's lots of belts and stuff.....

My inventory list that I am going to keep on board:

2 x water pump impeller

2 x alternator belts

2 x power steering pump belts

2 x primary fuel filters

2 x secondary fuel filters

1 x rubber bang thingy type filter removing tool

Anything else anyone considers essential for afloat emergency repairs (aside from the duct tape etc)

Toilet roll tube and a Gerbil.

There'll be no feltching aboard my ship thank you :norty::naughty:

With regard to oil, Ian, I agree with the provision of spare engine oil (I didn't list that as I thought it was a "given" but take your point), but I can't see the value in having stern drive oil? I need the boat lifted to check it as the drives are below the waterline so couldn't top it up anyway. Is there a trick I am missing?

Ok, you guys in the know have been so helpful to me, could I push you into possibly taking a look at this list and telling me what bits I should order (and how many) to keep as spares on the boat rather than buying the dedicated Volvo on-board kit.

Its pointless me buying something off this list that I (or someone reasonably talented) couldn't fit on the spot as I would take the boat to a proper engineer if there was a serious problem of course - but I have got it in my mind that I should have some spares on-board..... Things like "rocker cover gasket" and "alternator assembly" would be very pointless as I just wouldn't have a clue...

So, here is the Volvo list, if you get time it would be appreciated:- http://www.keypart.com/volvo-penta/diesel-engine/kad42a

I think I would go with the items I previously listed Luke. As you rightly say, most of the stuff you couldn't fit at sea anyway, but things like fuel filter blockages, impeller breakdowns and belt replacement are all straightforward and would at least get you home.

Just as an aside, looking at the picture on that website of their building, I realised that was one I drew all the structural steel for a few years ago!