Stern Mooring With Outboard

Wildfuzz

With our little 20` weekender we never really have the need to stern moor, however if we did is it possible with an outboard as I can see no easy way to disembark to tie up, with out causing damage / safety issues with the outboard running.

If it a stupid question I apologies in advance, just never "yet" had the need but thought I would ask as one day ...........

Well I developed this for our Viking 23.

It folds up and removes in less than two minutes, easy to store. No tools required. 

The Fenders touch the bank, giving enough clearance for the rudder plate on the engine too.

Very easy to get on and off via the stern, easier than when alongside.

It is made from Aluminium box section, uses 8mm SS bolts as hinges, and uses 4  Screwfix ss deck plates that are fixed on the transom, and 4 x ss M6 bolts, used  as pin, dropped into secure the aluminium to the stern.

SS chain gives some flexibility and helps prevent snagging. etc.

Top is Plywood and has captured m8 ss nuts so that a piece of 8mm ss all thread made into a hocky stick shaped bolt, acting as a wing nut...

No Doubt you need some more info, but I hope it's a start.

I took a while to develop, as strength vs simplicity was important. 

NOT available to be seen on the Broads anymore. 

Edit multiple holes in rear upright, allowed repositioning of the rear fenders, although 90% they were fine as  shown.

Richard 

image.png

• Like 4

Thats a very nice solution Viking23, a bathing platform alone is prone to catching when the tide height changes where yours gives a good range of bank heights.

Looks nice and simple too, most good solutions are the simplest, it's far too east to look at a problem and over-complicate it.

• Like 1

Clever stuff! I just made a boarding plank from an old shelf and sprinkled the last layer of varnish with budgie grit. We drop the mudweight to hold us off and keep a couple of old fender for draping round the engine.

3 hours ago, grendel said:

if you had a pair of boarding planks with blocks underneath at a spacing enough to stop the outboard hitting they could be deployed either side and space the boat off the quay the required amount.

With my design, we can do "Touch and go" and collect and drop crew members without securing the boat to the quay heading. 

We only need a gap of 6'10" between moored boats to do this.

There is also a flag staff dropped into one of the uprights, that acts as a hand hold. Not shown on this earlier picture.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
16 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Moor bow on, simples! Darn sight easier mooring up too! 

Do you know I never considered that, when moorings say "stern on only" I just pass them by.

Sometimes I wonder that I am still employed!!!!!!!!!:361_melon:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Wildfuzz said:

Do you know I never considered that, when moorings say "stern on only" I just pass them by.

Sometimes I wonder that I am still employed!!!!!!!!!:361_melon:

Some of the places for example Beccles Yacht station you can moor side on if you pay an higher mooring fee.

As for your employment you must be doing something right, the odd collar felt or maybe friends in high places:naughty:

Regards

Alan 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, w-album said:

I should add that WR doesn't like doing stern on either - because her rudder sticks out beyond the stern (and I am no good at reversing and she don't have a bow thruster!)

Broads sailing boats, and at least one drascombe, all have super efficient and economical bow thrusters. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . they are called quants!