Year Of Manufacture

Jocave

Maybe a daft question but I've just purchased a boat and am currently looking for insurance , one issue I'm having is with the year of manufacture, the marina selling it only have a rough idea of age and the owners don't have any idea, is there anyway of checking anything on the boat that will help with the year it was built??

Just now, Jocave said:

Its not a Broads registered boat ,its on a canal up north at the moment but its a Viking 23 called Maliboo, previously called Sally B reg is 73315

Yep not a problem, my viking has a close British Waterways Number to yours, mine used to start 733** too.

Mine is circa 1986, but to confirm, can you post a few pics of various parts of the boat.

Handrails, cockpit arrangement, interior wood work etc. They changed a lot during the mid 80's but if yours are similar to mine, , then I would be confident in saying how close yours is to mine. It might be it's twin sister lol.

On my middle galley cupboard door, is a Viking label with a number ***** it contains 86, so that to me confirms the year.

I have recently posted a few pics of mine, re outboard engine lift, and rear stern step, do a comparison.

Hope it helps,

Richard

• Like 1

Forgot to add... and missed the edit time...

When we left BWB waters, they said they would keep our original reg No. for us, if ever we returned, so contact CRT Canal River Trust, and they will know when it  was first registered, and if it was new at the time....

B I N G O ..

Richard

The handrails are wood, on mine they were one piece Stainless, the w/screen sides drop down, mine drop into slots, so as your reg No. precedes mine, might only be a few months, but boats might be on sales racks when new too.

If your cockpit area is white grp as apposed to ply I think yours is early 1986 or very late 1985. but, do check with CRT. 

I might review my ideas after seeing the later pics.

Richard

I hear tell Photobucket have discontinued their images being hosted on third party sites unless you are willing to pay extra for the privilege, this is causing chaos on some forums that dont host their own images, with messages popping up demanding payment where the images were.

Having looked at the later pics, you have had replacement cushions and a new seat in the cockpit. The side panels in the cockpit are ply, so my theory of 1985 build is about right. Although.... I believe Viking did sell shells for self completion, around that time too, so it might be one of them.

We have had ours nearly 30 years, still original gel coat, but I would like to know what paint you have used for the thin blue line, around the hull, we are still original blue gel coat, but very difficult to get the gloss back now. We tried "grunt" as suggested on here, but it did nothing after one application, but I guess we should try again.

You might want to have a look in at the Viking Owners website, a lot more detailed information on there. 

Best regards,

Richard

• Like 1

Well done Jocave :) Still could do with Teak Carpet me thinks!

If the boat has a serial number on the back the last two digits are the year the hull was moulded.. Not all boats seem to do it though but think Vikings did..

Many happy sailings! 

Cheers 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Viking23 said:

Having looked at the later pics, you have had replacement cushions and a new seat in the cockpit. The side panels in the cockpit are ply, so my theory of 1985 build is about right. Although.... I believe Viking did sell shells for self completion, around that time too, so it might be one of them.

We have had ours nearly 30 years, still original gel coat, but I would like to know what paint you have used for the thin blue line, around the hull, we are still original blue gel coat, but very difficult to get the gloss back now. We tried "grunt" as suggested on here, but it did nothing after one application, but I guess we should try again.

You might want to have a look in at the Viking Owners website, a lot more detailed information on there. 

Best regards,

Richard

Thanks Richard I will check out the owners website, no idea on the blue line though but I will ask the previous owners they may know..

48 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Well done Jocave :) Still could do with Teak Carpet me thinks!

If the boat has a serial number on the back the last two digits are the year the hull was moulded.. Not all boats seem to do it though but think Vikings did..

Many happy sailings! 

Cheers 

Ha ha could defiantly do with lots of things on the interior, going to enjoy the summer using it and then think about modernising it a bit, new seat cushions are a priority though as soon as I find somebody local that can do them.

• Like 1

On 2017-6-30 at 8:38 PM, Viking23 said:

Forgot to add... and missed the edit time...

When we left BWB waters, they said they would keep our original reg No. for us, if ever we returned, so contact CRT Canal River Trust, and they will know when it  was first registered, and if it was new at the time....

B I N G O ..

Richard

Can't see an option to check this on the CRT website ,guessing I need to give them a ring ??