Tudor Reformation

Timbo

12 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Launching.thumb.jpeg.2bb03a1a6c81483deca8f791d3dfba52.jpeg

Other things to notice are the rather fine hire dinghy, by Wrights of Ipswich, who were famous builders in those days. 

My old Sea Scout group had a pair of Wright built sailing dinghies 16', clinker built as sturdy as a brick backhouse. They were often taken from Waldringfield out around the Cork lightship and back and were certainly still going strong in the early 70s. B*ggers to row though!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Tim, 

May I add my two penneth. Anything you make for a solid roof will need to be inflexible or the slightest breeze will rip it off. Inflexible is another word for heavy. Nothing made out of wood for a roof should be described as lightweight as it simply isn’t. The hugely heavy two man job for a roof on Malanka has had Justin lying on it  more than once to prevent it being blown up and off by broadband breezes. If you make it too light you’ll be making more than one...

Just my two pennies.

oh and we have black inlaid go faster stripes too. Although technically not in shed at the moment. 

10 hours ago, Malanka said:

Tim, 

May I add my two penneth. Anything you make for a solid roof will need to be inflexible or the slightest breeze will rip it off. Inflexible is another word for heavy. Nothing made out of wood for a roof should be described as lightweight as it simply isn’t. The hugely heavy two man job for a roof on Malanka has had Justin lying on it  more than once to prevent it being blown up and off by broadband breezes. If you make it too light you’ll be making more than one...

Just my two pennies.

oh and we have black inlaid go faster stripes too. Although technically not in shed at the moment. 

I would disagree with this, because to stop things being blown up and away, it will only need to be strongly and correctly secured.  There are many lightweight materials available, i work with them every day in my job. The only problem is they`re modern day high tech materials, and can be expensive. They can be made to look good on a traditional boat, but might be detracting from the boats integrity by some die hard traditionalists by being modern and high tech rather than traditional.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I would disagree with this, because to stop things being blown up and away, it will only need to be strongly and correctly secured.  There are many lightweight materials available, i work with them every day in my job. The only problem is they`re modern day high tech materials, and can be expensive. They can be made to look good on a traditional boat, but might be detracting from the boats integrity by some die hard traditionalists by being modern and high tech rather than traditional.

If it looks right it is right. 

We all use epoxy based glues, modern paints, cozy central heating systems and gps Speedos on our wooden boats. There are Nanni diesels lurking under beautifully varnished floorboards and the modern bilge pump is a blessing none of us would dream of doing without.

If someone can knock half the weight off a rigid canopy roof I would be very interested to know about it, especially when balancing on a slippery rain soaked deck lifting the original in place!

• Like 3

I meant when it’s down as in on the roof cockpit open. Assumptions , assumptions, assumptions.

ours which weighs at least 35kg was flipped up and held by its support legs in the wind. Justin has to lie on it to stop it being ripped off. Also don’t forget where wind goes water follows. Safely and securely attached, presumably it’s legs will support it but also hold it down. That’s a recipe for rattling and banging in the wind if ever I heard one. Think this through, there was a reason boatyards stopped making hard roofs. It wasn’t because they were lightweight and easily used?????

We have a hard roof, we have modified it with modern materials, and reduced its weight by at least 10 or 15 kg. It’s still very heavy..

Im not guessing this is my practical experience. The reason is the size of the thing, and RTs cockpit is of a similar size...

the thing cannot be allowed to diagonally flex or longitudinally flex, therefore using traditional materials good luck with that...Stick with canvas and remember the old push back cabriolet roofs on cars.