Tudor Reformation

Timbo

47 minutes ago, Victoryv said:

Any further progress ? will it be ready for Beccles ?

I think the plan is to wet her bottom next week all being well. Tim’s bought a camp bed and billy can to camp out on her at Beccles but don’t forget the bucket as it’s a long walk with your legs crossed :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

So...the story so far...

We've gone from this
Image21.thumb.jpg.aec218bcccbc0cf6fea674

To this

DSC_0232.JPG

Very excited and very nervous...launching Wednesday, fingers crossed!

RT has come to mean so much more than an old boat on the Broads. To me, Royal Tudor has come to represent the family and very dear friends, their skills, knowledge and kindness, camaraderie and the community that is The Broads. What an amazing place and what amazing people!

Of course, as was pointed out to me, Uncle Albert had the last laugh. The toilet that we thought was empty...was not. Definitely NOT EMPTY! I know it was not me as I only used shore toilets knowing the old boggetry had to be pumped out through the toilet itself and had to be flushed using the shower. Uncle Albert on the other hand...had left us two packets of his pads with which to soak up the latex glove rotting foul mixture that was my legacy! Three bin bags full of inco-pads and the thunderbox was 'drained', with two pads left to soak up anything left in the pipes when they were cut.

The problem now being...the thunderbox would not fit through the door to get it out of the boat. It took a man of extreme temerity, fortitude, dexterity and no sense of smell to cut the fibreglass thunderbox in half. Hot...well, you guys fill in the missing!

The video is upside down...well it is a video nasty in more ways than one!

All ready to fit the new toilet without which there is no way Ellie will set foot onboard RT. The new loo is a total contrast to the old...all porcelain with a control panel more advanced than your run of the mill spaceship!

While Ali soldiered on putting tar on the boat's bottom, see how I worded that, Steve sucked the muck out of the bilges. Grendel got on with helping DAve with steering and making the new control panel for the steering position. As for Dave...he spent 48 hours sat in the engine bay trying to work out exactly how thick I was...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

heres a few of my pictures from this weekend, while the steering is now working, it really needs a new steering cable, everywhere we tried to put a join, it would either bind on another join or catch on a rib, I think the longest section of cable was the 3m section we added in, this was just to clear all the other joins. before that I needed to add about a dozen grease cap fulls of grease to get the rudder moving.

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

as some of you might have guessed, the work done on the DIY SOS did not stop, that work was essential, without all of the helpers we would have been unable to proceed to the next stage and the next. what followed would not have been possible without that initial push, many thanks to everyone, each persons role from sanding to feeding the crew was essential, it got us to where we needed to be to get the rest done, I am sure Tim will thank each of you in turn.

but now we needed to hit specific targets, and employ specific skills, a select team was picked to crack on with those tasks, and for the other general skills that were required, the ability to turn their hands to anything. 

that crack team has been back to the boat shed several times with one target to aim for - that of getting all the necessary jobs done that could only be done while out of the water. as Tim has said she goes into the water wednesday, so we hope we have done everything, when I left yesterday, she had bilge pumps, but the wiring was still in progress. the skin fitting for the new toilet is in, with the sea cock shut. There are still jobs to be done, these will no doubt be tackled once she is on the water.

we dont have many pictures as the days have been full on. sanding and painting have been done, but the main push has been getting everything that was needed before launch, painting has been done just before we left the shed for the night, the rest of the jobs have been electrics, plumbing, bespoke woodwork, saturday I was told we needed a new dashboard, I was given a handful of gauges and switches, and told to copy the dashboard, but add these additional parts, a complete new layout was worked out, then laid out and then cut out, over half a days woodworking on one dashboard, but it will look nice.

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4892.JPG

IMG_4895.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

How high up do you fill the bilge,  I assume this is to get the Timbers to swell before launching.

Any chance of a description of the process for us plastic owners..

Good luck tomorrow.

There was a wooden yacht (I believe an old Broads yacht) that had been on the hardstanding at our marina for several years having work carried out. The owner didn't wet the bilges before launching it and low and behold the next day it was sat on the bottom. Pumped it out, up it came and eventually the wood swelled up again and it stayed afloat with the pumps eventually taking out less and less water.

The next wooden boat the yard launched they left it overnight on the slipway on the launching trolley so it couldn't sink but could take on water. That one managed to stay float long term.

We had never thought about it before but I guess it makes sense that wood swells and shrinks with the moisture content it contains.

Well done guys by the way the boat looks great. Maybe we will cross paths.

Good luck with the launch today.

• Like 1

having watched the procedure at the slipway where Royal Tudor will be launched (very shortly if everything is going to plan) they put the boat in on the trailer, then depending upon how quickly the water is coming in they can remove the trailer, and they are ready with the bags of sawdust, this is sprinkled on the water and paddled under the hull, this blocks any large cracks temporarily as the bilge pumps remove the incoming water, after a couple of days the wood will have swelled and expelled the sawdust and she will be tight. if the water doesnt slow down they rush to get the pump out pump ready with longer hoses to pump the water out. Since RT has been out of the water now for 3 years, her timbers are well dried out.

• Thanks 1