How To Remove Navigation Lamp Cover

We have no starboard illumination coming from the light and I presume its the bulb that has failed.

I undid the small screw but the cover does not seem to want to come off. Didn't want to force it so just asking if there is a knack to it's removal.

I don't have a close up off the offending light but if any of you can recognise it from the attached  photo would be great.

If and when I get it open can anyone recommend an l.e.d. alternative bulb to replace the filament one with?

32304431952_0522602174_b.jpgCC9J6713 by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

Hi Jeff,

It has clips on the top of the navigation light and a crew at the bottom, the cover needs to be lifted from the bottom. It could be that someone has put some sealant around the cover, preventing it being able to lift it off, if this is the case you will need to get any sealant off first. 

Regarding changing the lamp, if you go for a LED substitute then I would change both to keep the light output levels the same.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Thanks all,

Will deffo be changing both sides to L.E.D and probably the deck lights as well once I get the starboard side open.

Can't see any silicone sealant that is obvious so hopefully it was just me being gentle with it. I'll give it a good tug next time.......The light fitting that is :default_icon_e_biggrin:

19 hours ago, grendel said:

dependant upon the bulb type / fitting you should be able to get a direct LED replacement

eg here -http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/12v_LED_Bulb_Replacement.htm

By the way, 

My other half and I run an electronics shop so no problem ordering replacement lamps but not being able to get into the light I'm not sure what is in there to get the equivalent replacement.

It's a nuisance as I could have armed myself with them when next up there rather than having to take dud out and then order replacement and re fit on next visit to boat :2_grimacing:

• Like 1

They look very similar to the ones on No Worries - lamp is probably 12v 5w festoon. We thought of going LED when we swapped all the cabin lights out but heard it was difficult to get the right colour/temperature as as the engine would be running when they're on didn't bother in the end.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stumpy said:

They look very similar to the ones on No Worries - lamp is probably 12v 5w festoon. We thought of going LED when we swapped all the cabin lights out but heard it was difficult to get the right colour/temperature as as the engine would be running when they're on didn't bother in the end.

Wouldn't be so much for saving battery power. Most automotive lamps are canbus friendly anyhow so have a resistor to load them up thus negating any power saving to be had!

It was more to do with lamp life longevity and not having to change them so often.

Thats the theory anyhow :10_wink: