Broom Owners Club Ranworth Meet

CaptainJoshie

Hi All

It is planned to have a DIY BBQ on Ranworth Island on Saturday 9th September. I hope lots of BOC members based on the Northern Rivers will be able to come and the timing will allow members to cross over from the South during extra low Spring tides and back on the Sunday, albeit late on. We will probably set off to the North from Brundall on the Thursday or Friday and pause at the new restaurant at Acle Bridge. The event is being organised by Jo and John Haigh(Captain Joshie)  and they have booked the moorings, so please let them know if you wish to attend, just message Captain Joshie.

We hope to have afternoon cream teas and cakes, the DIY BBQ and something (yet to be confirmed) followed by a quiz.

Come on all the Broom 30, Skippers and other Brooms on the Northern Broads, this will be your chance to all meet and get together, let's make this a great annual meet up.

Pease let me know if you are coming as I may need to book more moorings, I hope!

John.

• Like 1

Hi Cambridge Cabby

I have asked the question "are Ocean 30's able to join the Broom Owners Club" and the answer was unfortunately they are not, as they are not Broom built so no not admissible to join. Sorry.

If you google Ocean 30 you can find an interesting history of them, Broom never built any, the hull etc were made by Aquafibre and finished by several other boatyards but never Broom.

John.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All Broom Owners.

It is getting close to the forthcoming BBQ meet on Ranworth Island on the 9th September.

I can now confirm that Ryan and Sam from Pedros Acle will be there in the evening to demonstrate making and sampling cocktails! That should be really fun  :cheers: !

So come on Broom Owners this is your chance to meet, chat and have fun with other Broom Owners. This meet is aimed at all the Northern rivers Broom Owners, so please come along and support this event, you'll have a great time I'm sure.

John.

IMG_1207.thumb.JPG.acfa746e7b3c9b1a020e96c91decf072.JPG

I have asked the question "are Ocean 30's able to join the Broom Owners Club" and the answer was unfortunately they are not, as they are not Broom built so no not admissible to join. Sorry.

it will maybe surprise one or two people to learn, not all broom skipper, (aquafibre 30) were built and fitted out by brooms

there will probably be more on the broads that have never seen the workshop at brundall than have.

like the ocean 30, the moulds were cast by aquafibre and fitted out by various yards but then the later owners adopt the  ' BROOM' name

• Like 4

Having bought our Ocean 30 as a Broom, and confirmed that on the Cambridge waterways it was listed as a Broom, it is a bit confusing as ours has a serial number which appears  to be a Broom one .A bit elitist really, and the above post sort of sums it up that they wish to keep the riff- raff out ! Shame, maybe all Ocean 30 owners should form their own group.No offence to the original poster (Captain Joshie).

• Like 1

A bit debatable, this one. Aquafibre were part of Brooms at the time, of course, and so maybe their Ocean 30 design became known as a Broom.

I believe it is probably right that they were almost entirely fitted out by other yards, in particular Herbert Woods.

I have always called them a "Broom" but never really thought about it before. Very nice boats. Worthy of the name, perhaps?

• Like 1

Hi Vaughan

As one of the sages on the forum would you know why some of the Ocean 30 s have Mercedes engines and are fitted out completely differently from others if indeed they were all fitted our by Herbert Woods? Ours for instance is all sapele wood, has a cocktail cabinet behind the seats and varies  considerably from others that we have seen. One would have thought that it would have been a standard fit. We have been trying to trace it's history as it has never been hired, so maybe it was privately commissioned? The hull   must be good as it virtually unblemished for  a 40 year old boat.If hulls could talk!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

There is a list here: http://www.broomowners.com/gallery/discontinued-models and the current model section too.. Sadly I notice the scorpio isn't listed.. bad luck Mark..

Bit of shame though I would have thought the more the merrier really..

I had Seamaster 30's for many years and at one time belonged to the Seamaster owners club.  They had one member who had changed from a Seamaster to another make  and he was allowed to remain in the club as an 'associate' member?!  I never understood this but it came to a point when this chap was given my booked mooring for a weekend meeting at Beccles 'because they thought as I was moored in Beccles I would not mind'   Left the club soon after!  :default_blink:

2 hours ago, oceandawn said:

why some of the Ocean 30 s have Mercedes engines and are fitted out completely differently from others if indeed they were all fitted our by Herbert Woods?

A Mercedes engine would (to me) indicate Richardsons, who I believe also fitted out these boats. Herbert Woods was a "BMC" yard in those days.

If you are saying that your boat was never in a hire fleet then she may have been built privately, with a marine mortgage? In which case she would be registered with Lloyds Register of Yachts, in the year of her building.

2 hours ago, oceandawn said:

The hull   must be good as it virtually unblemished for  a 40 year old boat.If hulls could talk!

That doesn't sound like a 40 year old ex hire boat!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vaughan said:

In which case she would be registered with Lloyds Register of Yachts, in the year of her building.

I forgot to mention - if your boat is British registered, then the number and tonnage have to be  carved into the main deck beam. On a GRP boat this may not be possible, so it is carved into one of the most prominent and permanent parts of the woodwork. This is often one of the main floors in the engine compartment or it may be the deck beam across the aft cabin.

If your boat has a number, it is easy to check with Lloyds.

Malankas tonnage ( original) and number are carved / branded in onto the first deck beam forward of the cockpit. It's quite striking when you first see it. 9.8 tons in 1953. Was heavy even then considerably heavier now. 

I don't think we will be able to make although not actually got round to joining said club yet ( nothing but inertia) . Old lady is currently in Brooms having gearbox repaired after last weeks debacle. She is also featured on the Broom FB page too. They said lots of nice things. 

Back to work now 

The Ocean/Moonraker 30 has quite a varied and interesting history, my folks are on their second one which was fitted out by R.A.Nunn of Wroxham and sold by Jones Boatyard in St Ives Cambs, it has the posh fit out inside and twin Merc OM636 engines etc. Incidentally Jones Boatyards website contains a lot of historical info about a variety of craft.
The first one they had was an earlier model with twin Perkins 4107's and spent much of her life on the southcoast but May have been a Moonraker built in Brundall.....

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Please don't shoot the messenger  :default_2gunsfiring_v1:, I only asked and I am definitely not elitist, my Broom Skipper is just my pride and joy.

Just thought I'd remind everyone of the event which is this Saturday, Malanka you would be most welcome and we'll have membership forms there :10_wink:.

Please feel free to dress your vessel with bunting, flags and lights etc.

John.

IMG_2694.JPG

• Like 1

Hi John

It as not suggested that you were being in anyway elitist. It was the club officials maybe who were.It is quite apparent that Brooms contracted many of their boats out to be fitted .Having said that having seen some of the Brooms in and around Brundall I think that I might be elitist if I owned one of those. Beautiful vessels makes ours look like a dinghy! Enjoy  the meet and let's hope the weather is kind to you. We had a great week down last week even came home with a sun tan.

• Thanks 1