A Weekend At Beccles Yacht Station

Hockham Admiral

We arrived at The Locks at 11.55 after a lovely relaxed cruise up one of the Broads' most lovely waterways. Both our visiting couples onboard were enchanted with the beauty of it.

We quickly moored in the remaining slot right up to the pub garden,,,,,, Oh for two fit (?) young men to moor us up all the time! (Paul & Simon take a bow!)   :default_icon_bowdown:   :default_icon_bowdown:   :default_icon_bowdown:

IMG_8691.thumb.JPG.35e8865f6bdb432df08a8ed06570a5d2.JPG

Then on to the bar, just before the Big Rush!

We soon settled down to our usual occupation!

IMG_8664.thumb.JPG.8f153305cd88c53138ab44a55ab2cf37.JPG

IMG_8666.thumb.JPG.8fdf444e454e60b5a1e3a98d7e20cf4d.JPG

• Like 9

We might be down that way on a day boat next weekend. I've never done the stretch beyond Beccles before. High tide is the middle of the day but I'm hoping that a Pilot day boat has a low enough air draft to still get under Beccles Old Bridge. I've looked on a map and can see that the river splits. Do we keep to the left fork to get round to the Locks? Is there much mooring room down there?

Jean, Hi.

I've never seen less than 5 ft under the old bridge, whatever the tide or weather; so it shouldn't be a problem. Today we had about 9ft going out at 11.00 and 7ft 6ins on return at 14.30 (LW 12.16).

Yes, turn left but nowadays it's signposted.

You should fit a day boat in, regardless of others, I'm sure.

• Like 1

As we slowly meandered back to Beccles, courtesy of Paul at the helm

IMG_8692.thumb.JPG.4c2f0486081144629705d45552195787.JPG

And Karie admiring the scenary

IMG_8694.thumb.JPG.4a11ca664f18b897b00c0ec90cb8cd68.JPG

We finally arrived on the outskirts of Beccles

IMG_8698.thumb.JPG.3946cdc04260c3c2eac0e3f739b00df6.JPG

Where we passed by the Lido

IMG_8703.thumb.JPG.50022e40317b8cc45a79823efd1a6153.JPG

and the Waveney House Hotel

IMG_8704.thumb.JPG.a0f7d204383a140590b46eda718c3a0b.JPG

then towards the Old Bridge

IMG_8709.thumb.JPG.239b76ed576523fd4d35fce0938836c9.JPG

And finally into our mooring

IMG_8711.thumb.JPG.875962e4d99d22886676553920d04c30.JPG

So it's just about "Goodbye" to our tales about our travels on the good ship "Friday Girl".

Tomorrow will be our last night onboard before she goes to the Boat Sales........... I can't say much more as it's a pretty emotional moment. Goodnight, Peeps.    

• Like 14

I haven't like'd this last post John as this must be a very sad time for you.

I really feel for you.

Thank you for keeping us up to date on a what looked like a very special weekend with good company and for the great photos.

All our Best Wishes

:default_beerchug:

David

• Like 6

John, thank you for the lovely photos and keeping us updated with the goings on at the meet, you have brightened my weekend no end, your last sentence brought a tear to my eye

This must be such an emotional time for you and Mary Jane after so many years afloat, I wish you both all the very best and sent to you with much love and affection

Like Eric so beautifully put, no one can take away your memories, hopefully you will continue to share them with us on here

All the very best to you both

Grace :default_icon_kiss::default_arms:

• Like 7

How kind you all are!

Perhaps I should have explained more?

I 'kneed' two complete new ones and my first op will be in the Autumn. Then it's another year before I can have the second one done and a further 6 months or so before I'm fully mobile again. 

At that time who knows? We most probably won't buy another one but the £3000+ per year costs will certainly allow us to hire the odd one or three for future Meets. So you're not getting rid of our company quite yet!

"The beginning of a new era" rather than "the ending of an old one" is how we like to think of it.

Grace, I met Mary-Jane on a blind date on Friday, 19th December 1980. You might say that she's my "Friday Girl", hence all our boats' names.  I'd had a boat on the Broads for a year already; so it's been an exciting and happy 38 years. And since we joined the NBN in 2008 we've met and made so many new friends and have wonderful memories (and vids/pics) of those memorable years.   :default_icon_kiss:

• Like 11

Wow, a blind date, bless you both..........I went on one of those once and sat in awkward silence for most of the evening but it clearly worked for you both. I just know this isn't the end of your boating adventures, bring it on I say :default_trophy:

Grace :default_icon_kiss:

• Like 4

Good luck John , you have been an inspiration to people on this forum ,bringing a lifetime of experience ,and balanced views ,i think we would all hope that you could continue to be a part of nbn ,as a mod ....(insert the the who) ,,,,all the best you old mucker!

• Like 2