old pickies around norwich

jillR

Great Pics Jill! :clap

The top one of Thorpe St Andrew looks as though it dates from the early to mid 1960s and features Ron Ashby's (Hearts Cruisers) home .. the MGB "Morning Flight" .... Clive should be able to fill in a bit more information about that one! :naughty:

The second one was taken by George Christpher Davies and probably dates from the early 1880s - William Thompson (born in 1817) was listed on the 1881 census as being both boatbuilder and publican (of the Steam Packet which later became the Ferry Boat). William Aldous became licensee of the pub in 1887 and was also hiring out boats from the premises.

Can't help with dating the third one at the moment.

Fascinating stuff Jill ...from the industrious area of Norwich to the tranquil beauty of Thorpe Green...wonderful :clap

One question...Where on earth did they turn those huge (for the narrow reaches of water used for unloading/loading) vessels around for the outward trip back to Yarmouth and destinations beyond ?.. :?

Indeed top marks to Carol for the link to 'Picture Norfolk'...Thirty pics of the Norwich Port area...Superb :clap

I can't personally ever remember it being that busy and to see pleasure boats winding their way between such 'huge' vessels...crikey (wonder how many near misses they had ? :shock: )

Moving on...whilst on the subject of Carol's link, I typed in various other locations such as Potter Heigham/Wroxham/Horning and some of the old pictures that are shown for those areas are amazing...so once again Carol you have come up with yet another cracking source of information for us all to enjoy...Thankyou

Best Regards....Terry

Great pic's thanks. I had a barge come through Somerleyton last summer full of the crap they were carting away from near there last summer and ive never seen anything so low in the water. I still wonder if it got where it was going :)

Andy.

Hi All

Great pictures.

Terry, I remeber Percy Percival telling me his racer Jacky S Two which incidently had two E Type engines was nipped and sunk by a coaster whilst on a mooring in Grt. Yarmouth, a total loss. One other comes to mind a friend of mine whilst landlord of the Bramerton Woods End PH kept his Moody off

shore jobby in the vicinity, she was nipped although not sunk, I seem to remember protracted discussions with insurers.

As you can see from the photo the size difference was so huge one little misjudgement of wind or tide ......... all respect to our resident pilot :bow

post-133-136713656969_thumb.jpg

The Picture Norfolk site is a great way to lose a few hours by doing as Terry has suggested ... type in village and town names and you come up with some wonderful old photos! I'm sure I did post a link to it on here before ... I have certainly had one on my links pages for a couple of years! :naughty:

As for where the coasters turned at Norwich ... the link to Google maps below shows you where the turning basin was in the wide section of the river. I was told that they pushed their bows into the pointy corner you can see on the left and then turned on that.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.626173,1.304616&spn=0.002491,0.006968&t=h&z=18

Carol

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, i remember going up to Norwich in 75 and again in 83. There were coasters moored there unloading. When we went to Norwich in the 90s it was a sight of decay and demolition. Very sad, but i supopose as they say "that`s progress". Regards to all................Neil.

Many thanks to you all for your replies to my request for info ref the turning of the coasters...Would have loved to seen it done... With no tug assistance it must have employed a special technique to position them into the correct part of river to enable the turn...I presume that they were 'thruster' assisted to get the bow over when reversing away from the pivot point as in Carol's google map link...a very delicate procedure no doubt...Where's Rod...I bet he could do it ;)

Barry...Thanks for the pic...It certainly puts things into perspective when you see it like that...and as you quite rightly put it all respect must go to our resident pilot for the job he does...and the responsibility of handling such a vessel (although small in comparison to what he is used to)...I hold my hand out to them cheersbar

I well remember my Dad learning the horn signals just in case we happened to encounter one on the Yare...but strangely enough, we never did...or not that my memory can recall...

And obviously accidents did happen...although a rare occurance I'm sure...Fancy being nipped by one of those :shocked

Very interesting thread Jill....Best Regards....Terry

Nice pics Jill. I love the snow one. I presume all the sales in one of the others are wherries? I know the wherries group on Flickr has some shots of a group wherries (Albion, Olive, Norada and Hathor???) making their way up to Norwich.