What Outboard Do You Recommend?

Regulo

Never had a problem Ray with just popping it on its stand is upright onboard and never had a problem with starting , my old ex Johnson 2 hp sat for 2 years like that and started first time , some 4 strokes are very dependent on which side you lay them down as they fill the combustion chamber with oil which is not good at all .

It's very rare id there is such an animal to find a outboard less than 4 HP that has reverse not that it ever matters , a 2.5 will push yiu along very nicely and open up lots of new places + give you  options like at ranworth :default_beerchug:

Thanks, all. I did bring it home from Norfolk, laid on it's side as instructed in the manual, with no leaks at all. But I wasn't sure if the carb had been drained/run dry. Would fuel leak from the carb in those circumstances? There was fuel in the tank, which was fine. As you can probably tell by now, I'm an outboard virgin! (Shut up M.Mynah!).

My mind boggles, but only very quietly  so only I can hear it. I say no more......

Apart that is from agreeing that letting the engine run dry (that is, the last time you are using it on a trip , do not sdtop the engine, just turn off the fuel. That drains the carb) is the best way of leaving it for extended periods.

Having owned a Honda 7.5 for many years, personally if I bought an new outboard it would not be a Honda. Their spares setup and control is total rubbish. Also after two years the head water jacket corroded through to the exhaust port and it took weeks to get a new one sent from Japan. Also the carburettor is a complete abortion and distorts however much you are careful to tighten it down. This is due to bad design. I tried to get a new carb about seven years down the line from the engine being brand new and the Honda stockist said that the engine was obsolete and no more carbs were being manufactured.  I have bodged this engine to work over many years and on the whole it has been very reliable but only with me as its owner. It would have cost a fortune if I put it into a Honda dealer for repairs. Being mechanical minded, I do the repairs myself. It would have been scrap after about ten years otherwise. That is why you find them being stripped down and the parts sold on Ebay. 

Outboards, especially the smaller horsepower ones, don't cost a great deal and by their very nature are all self contained. 

Most now come with five years warranties, so If I had a boat which needed one as its main source of power I'd regard them as disposable. Put aside about £350.00 a year and after 5 years simply remove and renew and save a great deal of messing about as they get on in life.

Issue is if the boat is tiny and overall worth say £3,000 spending over £1,700 every five years might seem a bit much but then I see many smaller Shetlands for sale with outboards that look as if they may have been attached to the Ark so a shiny new one surly would make such boats more attractive to sell on in due time.

• Thanks 2

It is a peace of mind thing as well Robin, knowing it will start and run when you turn up is hard to put a price on. Also if it is a nice boat with a knackered engine 3 or 4 grand and you have a new boat performance wise. With an inboard, nice boat knackered engine you are probably looking to the North of 10 grand.