Running Engines Are Not The Only Pest!

addicted

Don't you just love it when you're moored in a nice peaceful location enjoying the serenity when in comes a boat with multiple dogs that bark incessantly receiving from their selfish owners not one word of admonishment. After a short time of enduring this you're practically barking too!

Carole

• Like 10

I was having a Panini lunch on Blakeney quay last week and the same thing happened. I took my lunch and drink and went and sat on a bench.

However one chap told the owner of these two King Charles Rats " if you don't know how to train a dog you bl@#dy well should not own them" they left shortly after with them still yapping in the back of the car.

• Like 1

There are some people who appear to positively enjoy hearing their pesky little doggies barking. I have owned a dog and trained it myself and it is not difficult to train your dog not to bark incessantly and unnecessarily.

I bet that if I ran up and down a quayside shouting my head off I would be quickly be shut up by other boaters. These incessantly barking dogs are nuts and so are their owners.   :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

• Like 4

Someone should show this thread to my un-neighbourly moron of a neighbour, who seems to think it is his divine right to wake everyone in the neighbourhood by letting his 3 dogs out pre-08.00 every morning for a bark in the garden. This, combined with the inane dog-calls his wife makes, ensures we are always up bright  and early whether we want to be or not.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Steve

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Someone should show this thread to my un-neighbourly moron of a neighbour, who seems to think it is his divine right to wake everyone in the neighbourhood by letting his 3 dogs out pre-08.00 every morning for a bark in the garden. This, combined with the inane dog-calls his wife makes, ensures we are always up bright  and early whether we want to be or not.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Steve

0800 ..... Ah, heaven!

Our next door neighbour lets his 3 hefty great whatever they are out a 0300 to wake the dead.

I love dogs and have had our own but we always stopped them barking.

I think some people want dogs but aren't prepared to spend time with them where ours were always treated as part of the family.

• Like 5

It's an odd thing but has anybody noticed that when you get into a huff about something, doesn't matter what it is, the more "whatever you are in a huff about" seems to occur?

and when you stop getting the huff it doesn't seem to happen so often?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Only one thing worse than dogs barking outside and that's dogs barking at other dogs in a pub whilst the owners do nothing :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

No such thing as bad dogs, only bad owners. :default_2gunsfiring_v1::default_2gunsfiring_v1:

Well as a dog owner a phrase I don't particularly like as to me they are family , Shadow I'd a head strong 2 yr old husky / shepherd cross , he might whine a little ( minute or 2 ) when I leave him onboard but that's it , on less someone gets onboard and I don't mean walks past , he will know someone is passing but not bark or indeed any sound , its as much about which breed as the training but you can train a normally vocal breed to not  to be so vocal if u know what I mean . up side is he's a brilliant guard dog , extremely quiet but enter his space ie the boat n well its taking a chance , that said he's more likely to lick u than anything else :55c8f94984577_default_AnimatedGifDogs(127):

Although we don't have a dog at the moment we've had numerous dogs over the years none of whom have been allowed to bark to the annoyance of others. After having the incident of the foul mouthed woman and stone throwing boys at Loddon yesterday, a boat came in with three dogs on board who arrived barking their heads off and continued to do so all afternoon. We've been cursed with the same problem on the marina as well this season. We had a boat moored 3 berths along who would arrive with 3 large dogs which for some reason they would leave in their car with all the windows open where the dogs would bark continuously, until the owners having allowed it to go on for long enough to drive us nuts would then take them on their boat. The owner once told us proudly how he was an early riser up almost before it was light! He didn't need to tell us we heard him walking his dogs along the pontoon past our aft cabin window at about 5.00am! You can imagine how sorry we are to note the boat appears to have gone

Carole

• Like 1

Theres a boat always on the floating pontoon at Oulton Broad with small dogs onboard that go nuts whenever someone walks past on the jetty.  Been the same for years. 

Dogs in the wrong hands are a bloody nuisance, theres a terrier near my house thats often shut outside and it yaps constantly, it probably annoys its owners doing it inside so they shut it out. 

Dogs are like children, they require attention not just shutting away when you cant be bothered with them. 

We are on to our dogs in seconds if they bark to see what and why they are doing it. 

Dogs wil bark but they shouldnt be allowed to do it constantly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dilligaf said:

Must be a husky/shepard thing then, mine is husky/shepard/lab mix and it's very rare to hear anything from him, knock on the door though and he makes a hell of a racket and doubles in size, trouble is the tail keeps wagging which ruins the dangerous dog effect.

That's exactly how it goes , crazy dogs but really easy to get along with and really quiet but invaded their space when they don't know you n then they make noise :default_beerchug:

2hat we ate actually talking about is bad owner's rather than dogs misbehaving , mines only 2 n trust me he learns new things every day , if he's out of line then I pull him up on it that's not abuse its basically training , anyone who had had a did know full well the push boundary's to get to become alpha be they dogs or bitchs they all do it , responsible owners keep that in check and that's exactly what is wrong with the experiences that have been put forward on this thread be it boat or house , dogs suffer from anguish being left alone , some are better than others , I wouldn't complain about dogs on s car with the windows down as if I see one with the windows up and the dog is suffering then before i ring anyone the window is gone , that said no one has a right to let their dogs disturb others  especially in the early hrs. occasionally it happens but once should be enough for a responsible dog owner .

If our Yorkie barks in the garden he's in if it's mid evening which is rare, normally theirs a cat that passes that bugs him.

On the boat he barks like mad when Kaz puts her lifejacket on to moor up as he knows he's going for a walk. Other than that it's a lighter bark telling us then he points to what he's after or i'm playing with him.

In Sept where going to try take him in a pub whilst we have a meal, Were with my sister so if he plays up I can leave them and take him out. It won't be barking or chasing other dogs but will want to get up and sit on my arm like Spit the dog to get a better view he has small dog issues. Tempted to put a card on table saying first time in a crowd etc as I will need to blank him so he learns to stay at my feet.

We've gone back onto wild moorings now, if he's had a good walk during the day and then we just need to get him off to do business. So far he's not had get me to go out through the night as he doesn't do cold.

• Like 1

Cleo our cat was a noisy item whenever Phill was on the phone., not me, just Phill. She was doing that toddler thing of not allowing him to pay attention to anyone calling and would follow him out of the room if need be. As an oriental, that Siamese wail sounded like a baby crying, and if we weren't fast enough at taking her out of earshot, necessitated explanations to the caller that yes it was the flipping cat and no he didn't need to ring off to attend to the baby. Cats are harder to train than dogs.....

...... Now she's gone I miss the pantomime of heading her off from Phill's phone conversations!

6 hours ago, dnks34 said:

Theres a boat always on the floating pontoon at Oulton Broad with small dogs onboard that go nuts whenever someone walks past on the jetty.  Been the same for years. 

I know him well, as do several of us on this forum. The owner proudly refers to them as his 'pocket rockets'. Very effective security devices, no one has ever burgled his boat.

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Chihuahua's tend to be very spirited dogs with lots of bark. I once heard them described as "a quirky and eccentric personality unmatched by any other breed" Now what's the saying about dogs taking after their owners? :default_biggrin::55c8f94984577_default_AnimatedGifDogs(127):