The Clifton Bridge Experience

Having paid to hire Clifton Bridge for the week prior to buying our part share in Moonlight Shadow we have been looking forward to what we saw as a bonus week, in addition to our share allocation.

Here is my blog (seems a bit of an exaggeration but hey ho) of our week. As always I hope it doesn't bore .

Friday 11th August

Normally we set of on the day of departure from Derbyshire nice and early in order to avoid traffic and start our break in a relaxing manner. For some reason, this time we had booked a hotel for the Friday night. 

Seeing as we were hiring Clifton Bridge from Bridgecraft in Acle we had booked ourselves conveniently into the Acle Travelodge as we were taking our dogs with us too, severely restricting the accommodation available to us.

We set off at around 11 a.m. to have a steady journey to Acle stopping for refreshments and a leg stretch for the dogs along the way which lead to an approximate 2:30p.m. arrival at the Bridge Inn. (Ok we ignored the turn off for the hotel to go watch the boats, sue us :default_biggrin: ).

In actual fact we had decided to pop into Bridgecraft to try and get our boat earlier the following day. Thankfully, as we had hired from them previously they were able to offer us an 11 a.m. handover and as we didnt need a demonstration we felt comfortable we could be heading off before 11:30 a.m providing they didn't need to sort any issues with the boat from the previous week.

Heading off to the hotel happy we were almost ready for departure we settled in for a picnic tea within our room, a walk for the dogs and then an early night ready for the following day.

Side Note

The Acle Travelodge was pretty good. If you haven't stayed there and have pets I can certainly recommend it. You obviously get what you expect in a Travelodge, it's pretty budget but comfortable. It's not 5 star but never claims to be and I am not aware of too many places in the area that allow dogs in your room, but if you require a pet friendly stop near Acle you will be pretty happy here and the manager seemed a really nice bloke who would sort any issues out if he could.

Saturday 12th August

The easiest day in anyone's life to get up early had arrived, so once showered and dressed we walked the dogs before heading into Yarmouth to shop at Tesco. Provisions acquired and a quick coffee and biscuit in the cafe we headed off to Bridgecraft.

Upon arrival we found our boat was cleaned and ready :default_winko:

From our experience the Bridgecraft team were as friendly and helpful as previous visits and we set about with the usual loading and pre holiday checks. You know the ones, yes I know where the water goes, yes I know what a rhond anchor is........can we set off now please :default_smiley-angelic002:

All forms signed and a happy holidays from the Bridgecraft crew we set off heading tup north for nowhere in particular (the bottle of local cider left by the boatyard hadn't gone unnoticed either :10_wink:..........

11 hours ago, deebee29 said:

Not bored yet :default_party0010:

great start to your trip.

Bridgecraft are great, we've booked twice with them for next year (Westminster Bridge April & September) 

looking forward to the rest of your tale

Thanks guys.

We had Westminster Bridge a couple of years ago. Its a lovely boat and boatyard are very good.

More coming soon :default_biggrin:

Heading out of Acle we had a steady cruise along the Bure, as the rest of the crew set about unpacking and organising I took the hard working job of helming the boat :default_biggrin:

We took the river Thurne and headed up to Potter Heigham in the beautiful Norfolk sunshine. As it was well past low water we knew we had no chance at the Bridge but took in the wonderful scenery and chalet houses, whilst I got used to the different style and feel of the boat.

Reaching Herbert Woods we turned around and headed back to the Bure to continue onwards to who knew where. The aforementioned bottle of cider seemed to be calling out to me so it seemed only right I opened it up.

As the number of boats on the river started to grow as the boatyards let out other hirers for their holidays we ended up in Salhouse and moored up in one of the few remaining spaces. £8 overnight fee paid and an ice cream from Aldous (sp) enjoyed we headed out with the dogs and wouldn't you know it ended up sat outside the lovely Fur and Feather pub in absolutely gorgeous August sunshine.

As the brewery shop had closed we eventually headed 'home' for pizza, chat and bed. 

Saturday 13th August

Waking at 7:30 a quick shower and off out to walk the dogs heading past the campsite to the car park and then up to the Bell inn and back.

Water filled we headed up to Wroxham mooring in Faircraft Loynes and did a bit of shopping whilst waiting for the water level to fall.

After shopping in Wroxham we headed to the Bridge Pilots mooring for travel through the bridge. Clifton Bridge is marked up at 7 foot and the Bridge gauge showed 6 foot 9 but we passed through with a bit to spare, I am aware the gauges are supposed to leave a little safety margin but I'd be interested to know how accurate the height gauges actually are for future trips through the bridge on our boat when the pilot won't take us through.

Once through the bridge it was a slow trip up to Coltishall admiring the wildlife along one of my favourite parts of the northern broads.

Once all moored up at the Rising Sun and a quick sandwich, we headed out through Coltishall to the fields beside the coffee shop 'A piece of cake' and through the woodland walk to Coltishall loch where a guy moored up shouted about our Border Terrier. We stopped for a chat to later find out it was the guys on Malanka.

We then continued our walk along Mill Road to the Recruiting Sergeant for a little refreshment In the garden enjoying the sunshine.

On our way back through Coltishall we called into the Kings Head Hotel and the Rising Sun (the red lion had live music on and so was full) in order to help contribute to the local economy :default_blush: before heading back to the boat for tea and a relaxing evening watching the world go by.

Sounds perfect.

I think it's great that you're supporting the local economy so well :default_drinks:

hope you leave the fine weather there for us in a couple of weeks time (come Saturday)

Great photos..... just come through after I first posted this

Edited by deebee29
Comment on photos
  • Like 1

I used to take Evening Shadow through the bridge if there was 7 foot showing. In reality that meant there was 3 or inches to spare. I never saw the point of trying to squeeze through at 6 foot 10 inches as there is always next time with a syndicate boat :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, TheQ said:

There is one of the few photographs in existence of me, and it's on Clifton bridge. I was about 3 months old... In 1958.

That would be the real Clifton suspension bridge near Bristol.

Wow there is someone older than me on NBN :default_eusa_naughty: 

• Haha 3

Monday 14th August

A leisurely morning walking and enjoying the sunshine over breakfast before heading back down to Wroxham bridge at super slow pace. We saw a beautiful kingfisher on a branch overhanging the river but unfortunately it flew away before we could get the camera ready.

After passing through the Bridge we decided to fill with water in Faircraft Loynes but due to where we dropped the pilot off we had to go past Barnes yard before we could turn around. Just as I started to turn into Faircraft Loynes after heading back up the river the ferry on its way out of the boatyard heading towards the river decided to sound it's horn, perfect bloody timing.

I headed past the entrance to allow it to exit the boatyard before turning the boat around again avoiding all the boats that decided now was the time to pass behind me.

Oh well.

Filled with water we headed to St Bennets moorings. We had a look around the ruins and a walk up to the cross before heading along the track behind the ruins to the Dog Inn at Ludham Bridge. It's a lovely peaceful walk if you've never done it and took us about 35 minutes steady walk I think. A quick refreshment in the beer garden before heading back to the boat for a pasta tea and some board games which our youngest insisted we play.

The youngest and I teamed up for the Logo game and finished triumphant winners :default_biggrin: before heading off to bed.

Picture mad:

20170812141553_IMG_0251.JPG

20170812162530_IMG_0264.JPG

20170812162755_IMG_0269.JPG

20170814111718_IMG_0396.JPG

20170814152835_IMG_0447.JPG

20170814153831_IMG_0481.JPG

20170814155949_IMG_0522.JPG

20170814174113_IMG_0533.JPG

20170814174314_IMG_0536.JPG

20170814175122_IMG_0541.JPG

20170814175328_IMG_0545.JPG

20170814191804_IMG_0559.JPG

Tuesday 15th August

An early start from St Bennets after showering heading back to Potter Heigham, more specifically Herbert Woods In order to fill with water and look around the village.

Breakfast and latte's on the go we head a slow pootle (top word) on the Bure and the Thurne, Thurne Dyke was quiet this early in the morning and it was tempting to stop off and wait for dinnertime for a Pint in the Lion but I remained strong and carried on.

Arriving at Herby Woods we found the guys extremely busy, but one of them asked how long we were stopping and showed us where they wanted us to moor.

We headed out to Lathams and whilst everyone else went shopping I managed to escape and walk the dogs up past the Falgate Inn and back. Much more pleasant than the shopping experience.

Upon returning to Lathams the OH had raided the bakery and come out with boxes of Belgian Buns with cream for everyone. If you never have done, is recommend trying them. They are delicious (and I'm not really into pastry or sweet stuff) and massive.

We headed back to the boat and whilst a brew was made I filled the water and gave the outside of the boat a mop round.

Cup of tea and bun finished we headed off again destination anywhere. Back down the Thurne and along the Bure I turned onto the River Ant.

I have to confess in the back of my mind I really wanted a pub for the evening which would be showing the football as my team were playing and I knew my lad would want to see it too. The back up was somewhere with 4G signal so I could get it on the tablet :default_blush:

We passed through Ludham Bridge which was absolutely rammed as you would expect as was How Hill and Irstead although the river itself was fairly quiet. Out onto Barton Broad we headed initially to Paddy's Lane for my back up check of mooring availability and internet signal :default_biggrin:

From there it was off to Sutton Staithe (too full for our 42 foot boat) and so after turning around it was off to Richardson's at Stalham.

Moored up it was time for a dog walk and stroll through the town conveniently checking if the The Grebe was showing the football, a quick nip into Tescos for supplies and back to the boatyard.

It was decided we would watch the football on the boat so we settled down for an enjoyable evening on the boat all doing our own thing :default_biggrin:

20170815122451_IMG_0567.JPG

20170815123108_IMG_0573.JPG

20170815143138_IMG_0574.JPG

20170815143711_IMG_0577.JPG

20170815143832_IMG_0579.JPG

20170816101118_IMG_0585.JPG

20170816101124_IMG_0587.JPG

20170816101611_IMG_0591.JPG

20170816102429_IMG_0597.JPG

13 hours ago, SwanR said:

Very cute dog. We really like that stretch up the Thurne, especially early morning when there's not many other boats about. 

She is. Mental but lovely. 

I've had a re-read of this tale and unlike the holiday it does come off a bit dull, but I've got to Wednesday now so I may as well finish it for a sense of completion :default_biggrin:

Wednesday 16th August

After making use of the facilities at Richardson's we headed back out to Barton Broad via a float by of Paddy's Lane and then went to have a nosey at Gays Staithe. Whilst there were moorings available having only just set off we carried on back down the Ant, resisting the trip down to Neatishead.

Again the river was beautifully quiet and we slowly meandered admiring our scenic surroundings with only the sound of the engine on little more than a tickover disturbing the peace and serenity.

Upon  reaching a mainly deserted How Hill we stopped off for coffee and biscuits before setting off again with no destination in mind.

Ludham Bridge was rammed full once again and as we reached the Bure we took a left and headed for Womack Staithe.

Finding the staithe full too we turned around and managed to get on the island just in time as as soon as we moored up along came 2 other boats filling the moorings.

After a quiet break we planned on heading to the Stracey Arms for the night and have a look in the shop. Upon reaching the Bure however I took it upon myself to turn right and head off towards Wroxham again.

Through Horning (full) we carried on before turning into Salhouse where there was 1 spot left available. Well there was until another boat turned in and in a desperate bid to ensure they got moored up for the night headed directly infront of our boat at speed to reach the mooring first. 

Backing off the throttle we left them to moor up and instead left Salhouse, whilst there were plenty of moorings available on the island moorings by this time we fancied an evening off the boat so headed towards Wroxham.

Aware that with the time getting towards 5pm moorings in Wroxham would be filling up I thought I would nip down to summercraft and see if they had any spots available. Now I say that but seeing as I wasn't really paying attention to which turning I took it wasn't long befote i found myself looking at the Richardson Fineway day boat yard.

So with the locals all watching on and understandably keeping an eye on there private boats I had the job of 'reversing' my 42 foot boat back out of the narrow channel avoiding the mentioned private boats right at the time all the day boats decided they were heading back into the yard. They also seemed to have the impression that manoevering a 42 foot boat around them was much easier than the day boats moving around me. 

Nevertheless it wasn't long before we were back on the main river and found after all that there were plenty of moorings in Faircraft Loynes.

Having earned a Pint we headed out with the dogs and enjoyed a few beverages in the Kings Head and The Hotel before a chippy tea and bed. :default_winko:

Definitely not dull at all, I'm thoroughly enjoying your write up. And your pictures are great.

I always feel the same when I write anything and think this is so boring, why would anyone be interested in this ?

but we are interested so please keep them coming 

:default_beerchug:

• Like 4

Thursday 17th August

Leaving Wroxham behind we headed to the Stracey Arms via a look in at Ranworth (full). A look in the shop and the mill before a short walk down the riverside with the dogs.

We had a spot of dinner and then headed off slowly for Potter Heigham. I'm not sure where all the day went today but by the time we arrived at Potter Heigham it was full on the riverside and with a lot of Herbert Woods boats having returned we managed to get one of the few spots left, even receiving applause from 4 people watching who had come to look around the boatyard and were interested in taking a boating holiday but didn't feel they were able to manage a boat.

After a brief conversation they left feeling more optimistic about a holiday and we returned to Lathams and then up to the Falgate (Broads haven was shut) before yet another chippie tea :default_biggrin: 

Friday 18th August

Our last day started with an early morning visit to Lathams for more bakery supplies to save for later in the day before heading off back to St Bennets. Mooring up and assisting another couple struggling to get there boat under control we headed off once again down the footpath but this time to Ludham.

Once again if you haven't done it it is a lovely walk with impressive houses, slightly longer than to the Dog Inn at Ludham Bridge.

We had a look at St Catherine's church which is undergoing some building work before heading to the Kings Head for a dinnertime drink.

Refreshed we walked down to the staithe for a look in the shop before returning to the boat approx 50 minutes from the staithe to St Bennets at a leisurely pace.

All that was left was to have dinner whilst underway slowly looking in at Ranworth once again before heading back towards the boatyard at Acle.

Just as we were nearing the yard the storm that had been promised all day finally hit. Rain hammered down and an extremely strong wind came from absolutely nowhere, which along with the ebbing tide made stern mooring into the only available space at the yard extremely difficult. I'm not afraid to say I made a complete mess of it. Twice. Having to go back downriver and turn around for a third attempt we finally got in there just about although if mooring alongside private boats I'm not sure the owners would have been too happy with the manoeuvre.

Dented pride meant a visit to the Bridge Inn was required after packing up as much as we could.

Another fantastic week on the broads drew to an end and we have to wait until October before our next visit :default_crying1animated:

I'd highly recommend Clifton Bridge to people. A very nice boat which gave us many happy memories and the Bridgecraft team are as good as ever.

Jay

Your write-up certainly didn't sound boring Jay. I'm sure that we all end up going up and down the same stretches of river several times in a week but we never tire of it. And I often find a little nugget of information, somewhere I haven't been or as in this case, I would never have thought of walking to The Dog or to Ludham from St Benet's. But when you really think about it, it makes sense geographically that you can do this.

Also always good to hear recommendations of boatyards and boats.

• Like 4