Speeding On The Broads

Snowy

I've not been on the Broads since May 2016

never really witnessed speeding in all the years I've been afloat

but since joining this forum, it appears to be common place now days

with today's technology an easy option is for the BA to insist all hire boats are fitted with GPS ( which is getting cheaper by the day) this could easily be checked upon the hirers return

hey presto your bang to rights

would stop the problem over night so to speak.

*hides behind a wall awaiting the replies*

1 hour ago, Snowy said:

with today's technology an easy option is for the BA to insist all hire boats are fitted with GPS ( which is getting cheaper by the day) this could easily be checked upon the hirers return

And what about all the private boats that seem to constantly pass us whilst we are traveling within the limits using our £200.0 plus Garmin gps unit.

• Like 5

I think Snowy meant a GPS device that can track the location and speed rather than a helm fitted gps speedometer. 

I think it is a good idea, I also dont think its a bad thing for the hire yards to have the ability to keep tabs on things if necessary either.

But the hire companies cannot prosecute - do we really want BA staff to spend all day in court over speeding tickets?

Historically fines amount to not a lot and awards for costs, if paid, do not meet the total costs involved. Any shortfall has to to met from somewhere and once again it will be you and me!

Do we really want that for every transgression??

Being moored at herringfleet last night it was like a motorway!! I would love to post the picture I got of a broom captain that went past us yesterday. Just one of many who need to fly past just 10ft away. 

Its just a case of the authorities not being in the right place at the right time. 

The first time I have ever seen a crew member properly sea sick on the Broads!!!! And it was not alcohol related as she is tea total!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dnks34 said:

I think Snowy meant a GPS device that can track the location and speed rather than a helm fitted gps speedometer. 

I think it is a good idea, I also dont think its a bad thing for the hire yards to have the ability to keep tabs on things if necessary either.

Sorry, yes that exactly what I ment 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marshman said:

But the hire companies cannot prosecute - do we really want BA staff to spend all day in court over speeding tickets?

Historically fines amount to not a lot and awards for costs, if paid, do not meet the total costs involved. Any shortfall has to to met from somewhere and once again it will be you and me!

Do we really want that for every transgression??

Just an idea, increase the hire deposit, and if found speeding you lose that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, deebee29 said:

And what about all the private boats that seem to constantly pass us whilst we are traveling within the limits using our £200.0 plus Garmin gps unit.

For private boats a three strikes and your out system ? Meaning you are banned till the next year to move your boat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just don't see the speeding issue ever being resolved unless some hard rules come in

it will just get worst.

for me and 95% of Broads users, it's all about life slowing down

and that's why I love the Norfolk Broads 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobdog said:

A lot of boats are now fitted with GPS, and the hirers just ignore it.  Actually it's even simpler than that, a mobile phone app will give a speed reading as (and we tested this a few weeks back to see) will an ordinary portable sat nav for the road such as a Tom Tom or Garmin.

I don't use my Tom Tom anymore, so will take it with me next time afloat 

This is what we have.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Handheld-Ireland-Barometric-Altimeter/dp/B00J6F3KZW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1503261226&sr=8-3&keywords=garmin+gpsmap+64

Not cheap but it's brilliant, logs journeys and exact speed at any particular time on the route so if proof was ever needed it's in the log 

I don't just use this when boating by the way, it's a bit pricey to just use two or three weeks a year. It's great to use it when walking.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

Being moored at herringfleet last night it was like a motorway!! I would love to post the picture I got of a broom captain that went past us yesterday. Just one of many who need to fly past just 10ft away. 

Its just a case of the authorities not being in the right place at the right time. 

The first time I have ever seen a crew member properly sea sick on the Broads!!!! And it was not alcohol related as she is tea total!!!

Marky it was your Driving what made sister in law sick he he he... and your cooking ha ha ha...l

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Snowy said:

never really witnessed speeding in all the years I've been afloat

Really? What waterway have you been on? It's always been a problem, at least for the years I've been visiting. Yes, GPS technology enables speed to be measured and recorded but it would take a big change in enforcement resources to make a difference.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Really? What waterway have you been on? It's always been a problem, at least for the years I've been visiting. Yes, GPS technology enables speed to be measured and recorded but it would take a big change in enforcement resources to make a difference.

With the exception of this and last year, we holiday on the Broads twice a year 

if your an owner, then yes I guess you would see a lot more than I would

Please don' just point your fingers at hirers, most of us abide by the rules and keep within the speed limits. I have seen some of the worst speeding on the Southern rivers by ruddy great boats that would be better off at sea and the attitude of the helms better off at sea too

Grace

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Well said Grace. 

One of the worst things that people can do is to make sweeping generalisations. Given the end line of Snowy's original post I think that he or she knew exactly what they were doing!

And actually ... before you point the finger at hirers you would need to talk to all the boatyards and ask them to fit something other than a rev counter in their boats. And to ensure that everything works properly. The boat we had in May had a fish nav thing with a speedo but it didn't work. And the rev counter stayed on 1000 even when the engine was off and then moved up from there when you were going along. Impossible to have any kind of accurate idea of what speed you were doing other than by guesswork and intuition from experience.

Yes we did report this to the yard when we took the boat back. But I've no idea what the chances were of them fixing it on a busy Friday turnaround schedule.

Given that Snowy has made 8 posts on this topic I can only wonder whether you are trying to rack up posts towards the 50 for full membership.

Right, rant over, I'm off to work! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This topic always pops up.. Speeding happens everywhere, we all do it despite what anyone says.. although we do it when we think it's safe to do.. we shouldn't but it's easy to do.. so we do it.

We all know the broads are best enjoyed at slow speeds.. there is a mooring problemwhich probably doesn't help but the best nights afloat are moored in the middle of the broads where no one is about so better planning in terms of supplies onboard can go along way. 

GPS's are good but depending on the tide they can make it permissible to cause too much wash depending on the tide and still be legal, so it's not the solution.. it's really "check your wash" ...

Please no them and us.. it's really not pleasant to see.. I can't justify speeding boats but a large boat doing 6mph with a 4mph current will be displacing a lot of water. I meet a lot of boaters and we are all the same really.  Truth too it's along way down from the flybridge to see smaller boats :default_2gunsfiring_v1::default_gbxhmm:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I agree totally with every thing you've said Jaws, I hate the 'them and us' attitude and I am the last person on the planet to start a battle but I have to ask why it's always hirers that come under fire for speeding and bad behaviour etc, there's good and bad in both camps. I have seen exceptional boat handing skills from seasoned hirers and boat owners alike but also witnessed appalling behaviour in both camps, it's just the way it is

And yes, I got caught speeding once, not intentional just got carried away and didn't realise,  it was worth every second just to have the very handsome ranger pull alongside to remind me of the speed limits :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gracie said:

I agree totally with every thing you've said Jaws, I hate the 'them and us' attitude and I am the last person on the planet to start a battle but I have to ask why it's always hirers that come under fire for speeding and bad behaviour etc, there's good and bad in both camps. I have seen exceptional boat handing skills from seasoned hirers and boat owners alike but also witnessed appalling behaviour in both camps, it's just the way it is

And yes, I got caught speeding once, not intentional just got carried away and didn't realise, although it was worth every second to have the very handsome ranger pull alongside to remind me of the speed limits :default_norty:

Grace

Tan was also caught speeding up river from Acle, it was in the early days and Tan was doing under 6 mph according to instruments, but as the B.A. pointed out there was a 1.5 mph running tide. We all make mistakes at times, we are all human, well some of us are:1_grinning:

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Gracie said:

but I have to ask why it's always hirers that come under fire for speeding and bad behaviour etc, there's good and bad in both camps.

Hirers tend to "come under fire" because more often than not the ones who get it wrong are novices. Most novices on the water are on hire craft. Unfair, but that's why it happens.

Personally I see a distinct "North South" divide on this one. Most speeding craft on northern waters are hire craft, where on the southern waters most are the private jobbies, especially those big sea goers.

• Like 3