An Easy Where Is This

BrundallNavy

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
21 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Only 2 active as far as I'm aware but there's a former pub, Garden House?? 

Correct, closed in 1966. I didn't even know it existed, but went past it about 6 weeks ago and they are having some work done and it was obvious from the front that it used to be a pub, so I looked it up.

Hi Ray, indeed I believe our esteemed member Barry (Springsong) actually sold it too.

However that wasn't the original from The S and P Barrack Street brewery which I think closed in the late 60's early 70's. it was an imitation produced by Watneys in the King street brewery. They did Bullards Mild as well which was also an imitation of the old brewery. happy days! :default_beerchug:

(off topic as usual, sorry) :default_norty:

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

it was an imitation produced by Watneys in the King street brewery.

Quite right.

Norwich Bitter and Norwich Mild were concoctions by Watneys which were said to represent S&P bitter and Bullards mild.

My father and his friends, who knew most of the pubs in Norfolk in the 50s, reckoned that the best S&P Bitter was served in the White Horse at Crostwick, on the Coltishall Rd, and the best Bullards Mild was in the Buck in Thorpe.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Quite right.

Norwich Bitter and Norwich Mild were concoctions by Watneys which were said to represent S&P bitter and Bullards mild.

My father and his friends, who knew most of the pubs in Norfolk in the 50s, reckoned that the best S&P Bitter was served in the White Horse at Crostwick, on the Coltishall Rd, and the best Bullards Mild was in the Buck in Thorpe.

You could hev them both together in the same pot at the Red Lion just up the rud.

A pint of two's and a game of shuv haypenny. On a Sunday you had a great old plate of onions, crisps and cheese biscuits. All free. Well the beer won't, but the rest on it wus. 

That hev all gone wrong since them times.

• Like 2