Portable stoves and heaters

My son bought me a portable stove and heater for Christmas,the stove to make a cuppa and the heater to keep the cabin warm when fishing,the only problem is ,the gas keeps freezing up and the heater switches itself off,bring it home and it will work in the conservitory for hours no problems,take it back on the boat in the cold it stops again,it sound daft but I have got a heater that will not work in the cold,I just wondered as I have searched high and low,do anyone know where I can get some propane refills,as they do not freeze like the butane ones supplied with the heater and stove.

Thanks

Portable gas stove on a boat? Yikes! :?

I'd have thought it's not as simple as just changing the bottle either. Propane burns hotter and is delivered at a different pressure than butane so at the very least I would have thought you'd need a different regulator.

Its then type that takes cannister refils,its not connected to a bottle,when you say "Yikes",i have only got a Norman 18 with 2 forward berths in cabin,thats where I make my tea,I never use the boat to sleep on,only for fishing and joyrides,as I am only 3 miles from the broads my bed at home is more appealing than sleeping afloat,however I have hired in the past from Richardsons,Aston Boats (now gone) and Swancraft,I would love to have a bigger and better boat with all the mod cons etc,but I am more than happy with what Ive got,only moan is its cold in the winter,hence the portable prezzie.

A Heater that don't work when its cold,chocolate teapot comes to mind

Hi Steve

When we had our last boat and was in the middle of refitting it, the only cooking/heating facility we had was one of those portable stoves. When it snowed at Easter a couple of years ago, we had exactly the same problem, and the only way to sort it was to take the gas canister out and hold it in you hands for a few minutes. As you say, it's not ideal for a heater to need to be in the warm, but I would think the problem will only ocurr when the temperature is below about 5 degrees.

I think I am right in saying though, that the gas is only available in one form in the aerosols, so I'm afraid you are stuck with it. You could try dunking the aerosol in luke warm water for a little while before you use it maybe?

Mark,you are spot on with your comments,only problem is where to get the warm water from,can't boil the kettle because gas frozen,i guess the best way forward is to buy a heater that runs off a propane gas bottle,I have a stove in the garage from my camping days,perhaps I could run them both of the same bottle,did not intend to fit boat out with gas,more to worry about when the safety certificate is next due,

PS anyone want to buy a portable stove and heater,(for summer use only),you can make tea with cold water and wear a coat to keep warm,how that for a bargain,pity those who sell these heaters dont mention the words "Not to be used in cold weather" why else would you want a heater.

Hi Kingo. I am not very familiar with the little gas canisters but I am assuming they are the same as the ones you buy for the little blow torches.

http://www.rekri8.co.uk/Go%20System%20DIY/spares.html

These are available with a butane/propane 70/30 mix,might just be enough butane to overcome the cold it probably burn a bit hotter too.

A trick I have used on the boat when its cold and I know the butane will be too cold for the morning cuppa is to fill a thermos with boiling water before going to bed and chucking that over the butane cylindar before lighting the cooker in the morn gives it just enough start to get the morning brew and a bit left over to kick start it again once the kettle is hot

I did look at some of the refills on E Bay,that said screw thread,back to the drawing board,iI've just had a brain wave,how about piping hot tea in the Summer and Iced tea in the winter.

Another idea would it be ok to use a travel kettle 12 volt via the battery ,I have a cigar lighter fitted for my GPS or would it drain it too quick.