The Authority Oversteps The Mark?

JennyMorgan

After getting the letter he said they had approached the BA to say they would apply for retrospective planning permission. “They told me straight out that it would be refused,” said Mr Ciappara. “They would also not meet with us to discuss a way forward.

and

The Broads Authority said its planning department offered free advice and worked with applicants to help them submit “informed applications”.

It seems to me that someone somewhere is being "economical with the truth" and I don't know who!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In another shock revelation in the ongoing saga regarding management of the Broads Authority, the Authority has announced yet another rebranding exercise. Following the abysmal flop of Marketing the Norfolk Broads as a National Park plans are underway for another reboot of the popular waterway. In an attempt to make the Broads Authority appear more in tune with public opinion and appeal to a younger demographic the Broads Authority is to be rebranded as Broady McAuthorityface.

“After lengthy discussions with, well no one really, I just do what I want when I want, oh your tolls will be going up again, oh shut up and pay up!” said an official.

The re-branding will run throughout Broady McAuthorityface operations including the 'down on it's luck' planning department, now rebranded as TentyMcEggonitsface. :default_norty:

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

Back to serious, whilst the Authority is content to masquerade as a national park authority it should also remember that it is a Harbour Authority and subject to the requirements of the Harbour's Act, one of which is that tolls should be reasonable and secondly that tolls are only spent on the navigation.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/parking-ticket-machine-on-broads-mooring-causes-stir-amongst-boaters-1-5211488

"The Broads Authority said it had not been aware of the ticket machine until pictures were posted on Facebook.

A spokesman said: “It is likely that an installation like this would require planning permission so planning officers will have to investigate to establish if a retrospective planning application needs to be made.”

It seems James may have run foul of the Broads Planning Department, I mean Tenty McEggonitsface, again!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Timbo said:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/parking-ticket-machine-on-broads-mooring-causes-stir-amongst-boaters-1-5211488

"The Broads Authority said it had not been aware of the ticket machine until pictures were posted on Facebook.

A spokesman said: “It is likely that an installation like this would require planning permission so planning officers will have to investigate to establish if a retrospective planning application needs to be made.”

It seems James may have run foul of the Broads Planning Department, I mean Tenty McEggonitsface, again!

He should be OK with retrospective planning after all BA did I think outline that they may need planning after all for their tent so that would be retrospective anyway , if its good enough for the authority then its good enough for all .

The thing that I find somewhat over the top is the time that charges are based especially the overnight mooring time.

The charges on the post are 8.00 am to 5 pm for £5 & 5.00 pm to 8.00 am for £10 this all sounds OK however everywhere else on the Broads charges a daytime or overnight charge.

The daytime charge is fair enough but not everyone wants to set off before 8.00 am. In my honest opinion if they have to use a standard parking meter then why not adopt an hourly rate so you can leave when it is convenient to you.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

The thing that I find somewhat over the top is the time that charges are based especially the overnight mooring time.

The charges on the post are 8.00 am to 5 pm for £5 & 5.00 pm to 8.00 am for £10 this all sounds OK however everywhere else on the Broads charges a daytime or overnight charge.

The daytime charge is fair enough but not everyone wants to set off before 8.00 am. In my honest opinion if they have to use a standard parking meter then why not adopt an hourly rate so you can leave when it is convenient to you.

Regards

Alan

Actually the night time charge is slightly cheaper per hr , but that aside whoever wrote the rules hrs wise was hardly thinking of the " requested " time of not running engines before 8 am , then again all those moored over night should be up anyway , personally I'll give it a miss if I ever venture " up north " again , not for the reason of refusing to pay for moorings but I don't want to be told especially if I was on holiday that my day starts prior to 8 am as to me holidays as chill out time where the clock of normal life has no place at all , ( except for tides of cause ) , try telling them what to do ! Oh someone did n that didn't go too well :default_biggrin:.  

Common sense from the BA's planning department, at last and for once! 

Mr Knight's own words:

YurtGate update! Following their second site visit when they saw exactly the same tents as they did the first time, planners have confirmed that our tents and their bases *do not* constitute operational development and *do not* require planning permission. This is obviously great news but what an appalling waste of public money and our time. Thanks everyone for all your supporting comments, which helped!

• Like 7

On 9/27/2017 at 14:49, Timbo said:

James is blaming his father-in-law, Len, for this one.

3 minutes ago, batrabill said:

What an appalling waste of public money and time. 

The ENTIRE BA planning team are a disgraceful waste of public money. There is no case that can reasonably be made for their existence,since the work could perfectly well be done by the District Councils covering the area - or does that smack a little too much of a democratic process for Yare House ?

• Like 7

I cant see the issue with the parking meter, the timings could be asjusted to better suit boaters but why on earth would it need planning permission,  Its a black box on a post! 

To circumnavigate the BA planning gestapo erm department they could just have erected a sign with a number to pay by text containing the boat reg number or devise an app or something like that.  Mind you phone signal would probably put a stop on that! 

This is indeed a silly situation which should have been sorted out in short order. Charles Collier would never have allowed this to get out of hand!

I am told that the law on houseboats has changed since I left the Broads but I grew up on one, and the old gunboat Morning Flight paid a reduced rate toll as a houseboat (see my avatar) as she was moored on the main river, but would not have needed one if moored in an off river basin. The criteria was that the boat had no means of propulsion.

Up until the end of the seventies, sailing boats moored and used on Wroxham Broad were not tolled, as it is private water. They only needed a toll if they left the Broad. That applied to motor boats as well but they were usually tolled, so that they could also use the river.

I agree with James that a boat floating on the waters, but declared as not using the navigation, should pay a reduced rate toll. This is how it always used to work, so why not now?

• Like 1