Gays Staithe -the White Horse

Wonderwall

Tick tock I count the days down until spend a week aboard at the end of Sept. 

Had the map out and trying to loosely plan some stop overs. Don't think I have ever spent overnight at Gays Staithe , so was wondering how long a walk, and what the terrain is like from the moorings to The White Horse. 

The plan , you see would be to do a spot of fishing until it gets dark ( around 7pm), head out for some grub and a few beers, then return for some fishing in the dark( cause all the monsters come out after dark!!!) , accompanied by a couple of small golden malts.

My sis and bro in law are also getting a boat, I have never spent the night on Womack Island because EVERYTIME I cruise past it is occupied , usually by a privateer, I think it's like hot beds!!!  Can't blame them , I'd do the same , looks a fantastic place for two boats to spend the night.

Sound bliss dosent it!!, I'm like a wee boy waiting for Christmas!!!!

Thanks in advance for any info folks

cheers

neil

• Like 3

Agree with Ron. From memory the track from the Staithe to the road is a bit rough and the road into Neatishead is a minor unlit country road. A good torch is an absolute must after dark. You would be ready for a pint though! Superb pub, well worth the visit. As Ron says Neatishead Staithe is nearer. Enjoy!

Sorry just seen your other post - yes, Gays Staithe is easier (more room) so if you don't mind the walk it should be good. Bit quieter end of Sept too I imagine.

• Like 2

I reckon it's 20 mins easy  stroll along a country lane, not a problem but a good torch essential. The bit from the staithe to the road, if it's wet some muddy puddles can form so beware.

Both Gays and Neatishead are lovely, but for fishing I've always found Neatishead better if you can get on the end. I understand your cramped comment but it's not so bad on the ends. If you're early enough pop down there and have look. 

Enjoy your time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Me too. Having stopped off at both, and at a very off-season March quiet Neatishead Staithe compared to a July Gay's Staithe, I preferred the latter, even though it was a longer walk to the pub (not that long though).  You can always drop your rubbish off at the Neatished Staithe on our way to the White Horse.

• Like 1

Gayes is one of my favourite over night moorings , yes is 20mins walk to White Horse , and there are WC's 5 to 10 mins from the moorings too , if you do walk to the White Horse make sure you have some change with you as a Cottage on the way sells homemade fudge which is delicious and there is an honesty box for payment 

I agree with Wyndham, if you can get an end mooring at Neatishead that crammed in feeling doesn't feel so bad, had some monster perch there (ok about 1 to 2 pounds lol) all you need is some fresh juicy worms, a bottle of wine and a fishing rod, sorted and before any bright spark comes along and says something along the lines of the worms taste much better with a red, the worms are for the fish :facepalm:Seriously though, had some nice ones in the margins

Grace

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Gayes is one of my favourite over night moorings , yes is 20mins walk to White Horse , and there are WC's 5 to 10 mins from the moorings too , if you do walk to the White Horse make sure you have some change with you as a Cottage on the way sells homemade fudge which is delicious and there is an honesty box for payment 

I was at Neatishead last week,  I didn't know about this fudge, where exactly is it ?

so to get my bearings for next time, moor at Neatishead walk to the road and turn left or right towards the shop and pub ?

"Up early Grace?" Ahh, Howard my lovely, not for the reasons you might think :default_norty: Kids are back to school and after a glorious six weeks it's with heavy heart I prepare breakfast, pack lunches and leave them at the school gate :default_crying1animated:

I wanna know where this fudge is too

Grace

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Snowy said:

I was at Neatishead last week,  I didn't know about this fudge, where exactly is it ?

so to get my bearings for next time, moor at Neatishead walk to the road and turn left or right towards the shop and pub ?

If moored at Gayes then is 10 ish mins walk on the way to Neatishead , if moored at Neatishead you turn left when you leave the basin and is about ten mins walk