Scrumpys Back..... Again...

Here we are again.... It's been a long year and it's great to be back on the broads... yet again we are down on the Southern broads again.

We came up from Somerset yesterday and stayed at Norwich..  Woke up again Buzzing like a big kid waiting to get on the boat and get away.. Done the the shopping in Sainsbury's for the fresh food and on are jolly way to Brundall to pick up the boat... Me and her in doors off loaded met a friendly staff at Brooms who are fantastic... spent about an hour unpacking and getting  the boat how you want it... then off we went only a short stop and over night stop at the ferry inn at surlingham... We phoned up 2 weeks ago to reserved a table and 2 moorings for us and are friends... sorted..

Great moorings and food.... just a shame about are table next to us... Don't want to go into details but made us feel unwanted so put a downer on the evening...

Well looking forward to the morning and get on our  travels and enjoying our holiday.....  

• Like 7

Shame about the table next door most that frequent the pub are very nice folks but it can happen anywhere I guess , no worry's on wards and upwards as they say and  most of all enjoy your holiday :default_beerchug:

So sorry to hear about your obnoxious table peeps at Sonia's, Mike.    :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

We've visited there frequently and never had such an experience, as Richard says above. In fact we've always had the most pleasant dining experiences there.   :default_biggrin:   :default_biggrin:   :default_biggrin:

Looking forward to hear about all the rest of your hols while we're here in wet and windy Devon!    :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

Day 2... 

We left the  ferry and headed down past  Bramerton and down to Postwick and turned around and came back up to brooms to fill up with fresh water and some black out Blinds.... All sorted by lunch time so we popped over To Coldham hall for Sunday lunch.... 10 out 10 couldn't fault it... I always like to give a 2nd chance after last years...Anyway we had lunch and pudding.... Gin and Tonic cheese cake it was lush.... At this point we thought we better get on are merry old way...

Now here's one for you anti Broomers out there who complain about these boats speeding and causing wash... well they have been restricted now and smaller engines in the new ones... your be lucky to get 6mph flat out at 2200 rpm... So no Breydon this year... Oh we have Broom Captain 6 it's just  over a year old.. and if you seen it from the out side it looks 10 years old.. it's looking tired and beaten what's a shame as some hirers have no respect at at all for these boats...

Any how on with the journey so we plodding on at a steady 4mph... passed the speed camera at you know where ha ha ha.... The river seemed quite busy a few boats moored up at cantley in the Reedcutter and the sugar beat factory looking quiet... saying that it was Sunday... one good thing we was using outward tide so less fuel to burn and noise... As we waved to our friends who turned off to Loddon we carried on to Reedham.... Do we stop or carry on loads of moorings outside the Lord Nelson... Still bloated by our Sunday lunch we carried on.... wow I couldn't get over how low tide was.... 12ft 6 clearance as we went through Reedham bridge what was open.... Onwards to Hadiscoe new cut... As we turned into the cut we hit the tide... Bang like hit hitting a brick wall up with the revs and on we went... now on these brooms you have a depth gauge very handy as at one point down 3ft 6 flashed up as we near the bank as another on coming  boat came towards... once cleared the new cut it was time to find a mooring... so passing Herringfleet what was full... we carried onto somerleyton staith for the night.... I think everyone else had the same idea.. we managed to moor on the end... love quiet mooring.... well that is until the train rattles over the bridge ha ha... it gave me something to look at as I had no phone signal or internet so that's why I'm running a day late on the blog... It was an early night 8.30 tucked up in bed... we did have a hard day ha ha ha...

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

Good to see you're enjoying your time out on the Broads!

Interesting point about the Boats - I noticed one of the newer ones seemed to have a 50hp Nanni fitted, which surprised me a bit.. Do you know what they fitted before? I'm guessing it'd be getting on for double that?

130 or 150s not to sure Jonzo il ask them on Saturday.... yep it's going good.. I've done a few videos on NBN Facebook... few more tomorrow... On route to Beecles at the mo....

Just now, ScrumpyCheddar said:

130 or 150s not to sure Jonzo il ask them on Saturday.... yep it's going good.. I've done a few videos on NBN Facebook... few more tomorrow... On route to Beecles at the mo....

Can you bring some sunshine with you,  it is a right gloomy one today.

Day 3...

Woke up to a dismal wet drizzle morning.... But I didn't care I'm on the broads... The tide was coming in a some speed and loads of reeds and seaweed floating by... I could here a donkey engine so I popped my head out to investigate... it was a funny looking contraption it's was the BA floating weed collector... and they was doing a mighty fine job... I went back down to get my camera time I got it they had gone... So as the other boats around us had gone I fired up the mighty broom to warm the water up for the shower...... we had are showers so it was time to go... but first I phoned somerleyton swingbridge to ask the height and what time will the bridge swing... A friendly chap on the other end replied "it's 8ft clearance but if you want I have a train due any minute then I can swing it open for 15mins" bargin I could see the train coming so we cast off slowly...  and time we got there the bridge was fully open... onwards and upwards I gave a toot on my horn and wave as we went through.... Beecles bound... at this point I could smell bacon cooking in the galley and her in doors steaming the windows up... can't beat it.. bacon rolls and bottle of Heineken for breakfast... it was 10.30 ha ha ha... so.it's a slow trip down 4mph and that's with tide pushing us.... what I did notice a few boats passing by and that they seem not to wave or smile... perhaps it was the weather.... so we got to the split... and turned up the Waveney and headed up passing the WRC...  looked very quiet in there we didn't pass many boats coming down from Beecles.... I did notice something that a BA mooring at Alderby hall is now a private mooring and there charging £5 for 24 hour mooring... cheek of it.... well we arrived at Beecles yacht station... nice and quiet here... a few boats turned up here later... so it be Chinese take away being delivered to the boat very shortly....  yes I know I've been abit slack on the pictures this year... I will be doing some...

• Like 7

A very interesting read. I had thought that Alderby Hall used to be a BA mooring but noticed it was private when we had a day boat out down there in July.

We've looked at the Captains a number of times when considering whether we can find something we would like to hire on the south. But I'm not quite sure about the bed. Is it one that you can walk around under the bow?

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

A very interesting read. I had thought that Alderby Hall used to be a BA mooring but noticed it was private when we had a day boat out down there in July.

We've looked at the Captains a number of times when considering whether we can find something we would like to hire on the south. But I'm not quite sure about the bed. Is it one that you can walk around under the bow?

The bed it self is extremely comfy... you can only walk at the tail end of the bed but saying that there is a built in side step each side... then you shuffle up in to the bed... Not easy if you had knee or hip problems as it is high up... hope this helps Jean...  I will get the wife to take some pictures....

• Like 1

Glad to hear your not speeding mike:default_eusa_dance:

sounds like your just going steady and enjoying the slower pace of life though. 

I wonder if the smaller engine was to save on cost and slow the boats down? Interesting to know.

Your boat has the bow and stern thrusters doesn't it? They any good?

enjoy your week and hope the weather behaves for you:default_beerchug: 

8 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

Glad to hear your not speeding mike:default_eusa_dance:

sounds like your just going steady and enjoying the slower pace of life though. 

I wonder if the smaller engine was to save on cost and slow the boats down? Interesting to know.

Your boat has the bow and stern thrusters doesn't it? They any good?

enjoy your week and hope the weather behaves for you:default_beerchug: 

Thank you Mark.... yep theses thrusters are pants... Well it's my opinion.. the stern ones are a waste of time and the bow one is not very strong.... that's why they only fitted them on the on only 2 captains...  I like just like the normal bow thrusters on them... these ones have a mind of there own ha ha ha...

IMG_2926.JPG

• Like 1

We were on Captain 7 this time last year for a few days - actually got on quite well with the bow & stern thrusters - entertained a few others when we were able to leave Bramerton sideways - then turn within its own length before heading off (had one private owner jokingly considering having them fitted to his when he saw this).

We are out on Captain 4 from Friday for a few days again - Captain 4 this time (i believe) - will quite miss the stern thruster.... but more than capable of handling a boat without... :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Markw said:

We were on Captain 7 this time last year for a few days - actually got on quite well with the bow & stern thrusters - entertained a few others when we were able to leave Bramerton sideways - then turn within its own length before heading off (had one private owner jokingly considering having them fitted to his when he saw this).

We are out on Captain 4 from Friday for a few days again - Captain 4 this time (i believe) - will quite miss the stern thruster.... but more than capable of handling a boat without... :default_biggrin:

Mine must be a lemon then lol....or the Gin in tonic in the way ha ha...

• Haha 1

Day 4  Beecles to Oulton Broad....

It was an early rise this morning half 6 and wide a wake... Kettle on and watching the mist fade out... Sat having a cuppa... Well after the morning showers it was top up water time again... before leaving Beecles it was a quick popping over to Hippersons for a pump out....  Its a tight yard yard to manoeuvre about but we managed.... Always greeted to a fab friendly welcome there..so it was a quick chat while we was pumped and flushed out then it was time to say are good byes for another... as we was about to leave 2 more turned up for pump outs so glad to see people using them... well it was back down the Waveney... it's lovely river and Oulton Broad bound with the bacon cooking couldn't beat it.... passed loads of hire boats waving what was good to see... the weather was cloudy but dry and very warm with nice warm breeze.... just needs the sun.... Well as we came in to Oulton the big open space of water opens up you seem to forget how big it is after a year away from it... I have to say me and her in doors love it here... well as we moored waiting for our mooring I booked 2 weeks ago the boat was departing so we just moored straight on with a friendly welcome from the yacht station crew.....  that's it 2 days here now... so just chilling with a very large Gin and Tonic... Not sure where we our eating tonight...I will leave that to the wife...

IMG_2931.JPG

IMG_2929.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

IMG_2928.JPG

• Like 6

Day 5  Oulton Broad to Lowerstoft...

woke up from a choppy night on Oulton Broad...  cant complain the sun is shinning... So we decided to stay here fo another day and go and explore... 

We decide to catch the Lowerstoft ferry £6.00 each return and I say it's worth every penny.... friendly crew and lovely 1953 12 seater ferry... the trip it self is worth doing going through the harbour looking at the big ships old and new... what was great was seeing MTB 102 moored at her mooring she look the business in the flesh.... we got to Lowerstoft at about 11.45am and went on are way... walking along the sea front with the waves crashing in....lovely guest houses along the front a proper old fashion British seaside town... love it... must be my old age kicking in.... so we decided to have bite to eat then walk back to the ferry for 2pm.... Well went into the south pier for a walk around and grab an ice cream then came outside to music playing to the dancing water fountains what shoot out the ground... little children trying to dodge them but not successful.... so we carried on walking back and decided to visit the last Lowerstoft fishing trawler Mincarlo it's now a museum.... very interesting and worth a visit and it's free entry onboard... very enjoyable and fair play to the volunteers who run it... spent a good half an hour look around and if the ferry wasn't due I would of spent longer... So we boarded the ferry to come back Oulton... another enjoyable trip back through the harbour passing all the wind turbine boats and there's few of them in there... I truly recommend doing the ferry trip... I would phone him first to make sure he has room to avoid disappointment..... I give it 10 out 10...

well the sea air has got to me it's time for afternoon snooze...... a Gin and Tonic first he he....

Took some pics but not in order.....

IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2964.JPG

IMG_2967.JPG

IMG_2947.JPG

IMG_2945.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2946.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_2953.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG