Yorkshire Pudding

Andrewcook

Last October 2016 I was doing the Sunday Dinner for Griff and the Crew on One of the Jewel Boats. The Roast Beef and Roast Pork along with Roast Potatoes come out Perfect then disaster struck I did the proper Yorkshire pudding Mix put in the very Hot Oven but it did not rise as it come out off the oven flat as a Pancake. I was very disappointed  as theses Ovens are not like the Ones we have at Home The next time I will get Frozen Yorkshires.

Andrew Cook  

• Like 3

You are right, the LPG ovens are not up to the domestic type be they gas or leccy.

Talking of yorkshires with Yorkshiremen have you ever eaten the giant yorkshire filled with mash sausage ring and gravy at Tan Hill. A must if walking that part of the Pennine Way.

You can cook Yorkshire Puddings week on week, they are always perfect, but the first time you have guests they turn out like pancakes. its the law.:default_norty:

For a quick meal I used to buy those large Ant Bessie Yorkshires, I would cook off chopped bacon, add baked beans or plum tomatoes into the puddings and top off with grated cheese.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Yorkshire  puds.One cup of plain flour,one cup of eggs,one cup o milk.Mix together,set aside for at least half an hour.Lots of oil,about half way up a tin get hot then fill in tin almost to top.In the oven check after half an hour.

I wiil reduce the quantities pro rata and have a practice. I thought I might do a rib at Christmas.

• Like 1

I would like to remind you that this is a Norfolk forum. Nothing to do with Yorkshire. You are very welcome to visit us with your funny accents and soggy puddings. I really am not interested. If you are unable to rise to the occasion I would draw your attention to the magnificent Norfolk Dumpling. Never disappoints, that delightful floater in a good old fashion stew. Icky thump! Get a dumpling in your gravy!

Edited by Wussername
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

I know this might be a bit basic, but you did use plain flour didn't you. The one sure fire way to get pancake flat yorkies is self raising flour.

Hold the oil though, proper yorkies must be cooked in lard, or beef dripping if you're posh.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Wyndham said:

I do apologise and accept that my previous postings were a little childish, I will attempt to redeem myself by exposing the male form of pudding and dumpling. ( just for you ladies!!) 

two fat blokes.png

imagesFRFU97MY.jpg

They could easily have been Millionaires if they had not supped a years production of John Smiths.

• Haha 1

I did Yorkies on Fair Jubilee a few years back, came out fine, will be doing them on Omega in October too, fingers crossed for the same result, different recipe though.

75g flour

75ml milk

55ml cold water

1 egg

salt

leave in fridge for a while, screaming hot pan of dripping, kept hot on hob whilst filling with mixture, 30mins 225 degrees C job jobbed!

• Like 1

On 08/09/2017 at 21:50, Chelsea14Ian said:

Yorkshire  puds.One cup of plain flour,one cup of eggs,one cup o milk.Mix together,set aside for at least half an hour.Lots of oil,about half way up a tin get hot then fill in tin almost to top.In the oven check after half an hour.

That's the same as good old Yorkie Brian Turner uses, except he adds a tablespoon of malt vinegar  "Cos my Grannie did".

I've only ever used lard, Ian, and not as much as you mention of oil. But then, I'm not  a professional!   :default_beerchug:

Am I the odd one out that has to have yorkie puds with Cottage Pie? Cottage pie in our house was always different to most peoples, and I much prefer it. It was always done on a Monday as it used the remains of the Sunday roast, which was ground in the old cast iron mincer then seasoned with WHITE pepper and half a teaspoon of mustard powder. It was quite dry so a tablespoon of jellied beef stock was added but it was still quite solid, not sloppy like the modern trend. Press it into an enamel dish and cover with mashed (not creamed!) potato. Just white potatoes boiled until just soft with a little salt then mashed with a small knob of butter. No milk, cream (or even creme freche - sorry Delia). Into the oven for 50 minutes to an hour, it needs plenty of cooking to crisp up and let the beef stock start to soak into the mash. Gran would make plenty of batter on Sunday so there was leftovers for pancakes for Sunday tea and puddings again on Monday. 

Still do it exactly the same way, except now that cast iron mincer has been replaced by an attachment on the Kenwood Chef! The taste of minced roast beef is so much better than using regular minced beef, and it comes out reasonably solid, it should hold it shape on the plate, not "slop".

• Like 1

Ah dunno, al these weirdo suthern recipes f't Yarkshir pudd'n! Pin thee lugs back an larn t'propper job!

I mean...what's all this nonsense about making small pudd'n's and putting 'em on a plate wi' thee dinner? Pack it in see thee! T'Yarshir Pudd'n is a big thing made in't Fray Bentos pie dish tha saved from thi tea on't Frydi neet! T'oni thing that gus wi it is't onion gravy y'soft lads! Thy ate's it befo thi dinner to get thi in mood for thi dinner!

To mek it tha needs to add sum watter t' milk and a teaspoon o malt vinegar and sum salt. That's wot meks it crispy.

Now then....while we are on the subject of batter...to make a batter as a deep fried coating. Timbo's fail safe recipe. Separate three eggs. Whip the egg white to softish peaks. Add egg yolks to enough corn flour to make a thick ish paste. Add salt and pepper...I add chilli flakes too, now carefully fold in the whipped egg whites. Dip what ever you are frying...chicken, chilli's etc into the batter mix and it will puff up quite wonderfully, be crisp and tasty when fried in hot oil.

9 minutes ago, Timbo said:

To mek it tha needs to add sum watter t' milk and a teaspoon o malt vinegar and sum salt. That's wot meks it crispy.

Now then....while we are on the subject of batter...to make a batter as a deep fried coating. Timbo's fail safe recipe.

The wench's fool prof batter mix is scumpy cider ( filtered ) plain flour, seasoning  and eggs . that and the 12oz fresh off the boat, fish portion's brought the punters in far and wide .

• Like 3

• 5 months later...