The Ingham Swan

ChrisB

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

A very sad sight indeed. Have eaten there a few times and always a very good experience.

It's not just the pub that's been damaged, but the cottage and gallery next to it as well. Fortunately the couple who own the cottage next door were away visiting family so are safe and well, if understandably upset.

From media reports it would appear that every one was woken in time and out of the building. Property can be rebuilt unlike people.

Hopefully everyone is fully insured and able to rebuild the premises and their businesses. Lets hope so.

I drove up to that on Monday morning with the firemen still in action, as I pass it every day on the way to work. Sad to see the place go, I think the house nearest the corner was up for sale.  The yellow blob to the left of the left most fireman is the for sale sign.. So that will give them even more grief.                Very sad for those directly involved.

For those less directly involved this is causing a major headache getting round it, this is the only two way road from Sea Palling if you wish to go directly to the A149. You can go south towards Somerton then to Martham or North through Happisburgh and back to Stalham or on to North Walsham. The local road alternatives are all tight single track and a nightmare to drive along with a lot of traffic going both ways..

It will be interesting to see what happens to the site(s) if the walls are still OK then they will be no doubt  be rebuilt. If not then planning could be difficult on such a restricted site.  I could see road restrictions going one for a couple of years or more...

• Thanks 1

I believe  the sister restaurant to The Swan at Ingham is The Wildebeest at Stoke Holy Cross which is our favourite venue for a special occasion when on the boat, I think the menus were pretty similar, with the chef at the Swan competing in Masterchef The Professionals last year if I remember ccrrectly. He didn't win.

Carole

• 2 months later...

There have been traffic lights around the cremated Swan since 2nd of October and will remain till the work is completed. (long wait!!!)

The swan end wall is supported by scaffolding,

The house end wall has be removed down to eves level

It apppears the inside of the Swan has now been cleared out and there is now a holding  timber some of the old girders in place.

• 4 weeks later...

The cremated Swan now has a roof on it,  well about 10 foot above Chiminey height, the Cremated Swan is now enveloped by scaffolding, and that has a roof, I suspect that plastic will shortly cover the sides of the scaffolding As well.

Strangely still no work starting on the adjoining properties, onw owuld have thought it all needs doing together.

The Cremated Swan has even more plastic wrapping now.

More importantly they've removed the traffic lights as of yesterday afternoon. My worry would be some Womble will clip the scaffolding, I know in the last ten years at least two have attempted to drive through the swan but been stopped by the BIG wooden fence posts..

• 4 weeks later...

From what TheQ says above about the adjoining property not receiving a temporary roof yet, makes you wonder it they were insured? or under insured? The strange thing is that I thought the fire started in The Swan kitchen? If so then surely their insurance would cover the rebuild cost of the neighbouring property or does it not work that way with fire claims?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I wonder if that means the insurance company will just pay them out rather than rebuild it?

Be sad not to see all the properties re-instated.

Does anyone know if the buildings were listed? If they were I understand there to be a statutory requirement to repair/rebuild to the original condition.

Well I now know why the new traffic lights were installed,  on the way home from work, I saw they had started putting up scaffolding around the adjoining properties. This scaffolding is wider and blocking more of the roads. so I don't see the lights being removed until the work is completed.

Yes the Swan and adjoining buildings are grade 2 listed, here's the listing text...

Later C18 range comprising house and former shop and public house. Utilises
fragments of former Trinitarian Priory which was situated immediately east.
Flint with brick dressings and thatched roof. 2 storeys. Swan rendered to
facade. Swan with 2 C20 ground floor casements flanked by a door each side,
that to right with a timber case. One C19 and 2 C20 casements to first floor.
Town house to north. C19 shop front (rebuilt C20) of glazed panels right
and left of doorway. Domestic door to left flanked by one late C19 horned
sash left and right. 3 C19 casements to first floor. Gabled roof with 3
ridge stacks.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...