The Ingham Swan

ChrisB

Well the Cremated Swan rebuild  has been going on apace, there are people wandering around the second floor, they've been fitting new oak lintels and window frames, I can see they've been replastering in some places inside.

The two next door houses have now got planning notices on them, http://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news/plans-lodged-to-bring-family-home-destroyed-with-pub-in-blaze-back-to-life-1-5531012

Whilst the pub may still be re-opened by the end of the year, I doubt the houses will be. The head line from the NNN mentioned innovative plans for the houses, although that's not mentioned in the above text. I'm guessing those innovations were the cause of the delay, to applying for planning permission.

The signs on the road still say the traffic lights will be there till early 2019

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Further developements, electrcity installation vans at the cremated Swan,  security and FIRE alarm instalation vans there as well.

As an aside to this I see the Stalham Tescos has it's staff car park up for sale now...

21 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Further developements, electrcity installation vans at the cremated Swan,  security and FIRE alarm instalation vans there as well.

As an aside to this I see the Stalham Tescos has it's staff car park up for sale now...

At one time there was a plan to make the store much bigger with reduced car park but additional parking on the other side of the road connected by an underpass or bridge. To cope with the additional traffic a rounderbout was to be built on the A149.

I think the financial meltdown and Tesco's woes of a few years ago put paid to such ideas.

I was the maintenance man at Tesco at the time, the plans which I saw at the store. It Took the current road through the staff car park across Upper staithe road then parallel to upper staithe road. With a round about there on the main road. The petrol station, was moved across to much of the site of the abbatoir, and the current road to the main road + the petrol station site became the extended car park. 

Sadly without expansion, the store is too small to shop for everything, and is overloaded. The Stores loading bay and warehouse are woefully small already.

The Expansion plans included a .com, home delivery service, this at the moment comes from Blue Boar or Great Yarmouth. Stalham is expanding, in this case I think the management, have been short sighted with stopping their expansion in Stalham.

Yes is was the former management that were found to be fraudlently reporting the performance of Tesco. that lead to Tesco cutting back on expansion plans..

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see that work on 'The Swan' is progressing well. We often used to nip in there when passing, for a drink or two, before returning to the tent, when camping at Waxham. I hope the adjoining cottages homes too, are also being restored back to how they were, before the unfortunate fire.

Ingham, The Swan Inn.JPG

Good to see that work on 'The Swan' is progressing well. We often used to nip in there when passing, for a drink or two, before returning to the tent, when camping at Waxham. I hope the adjoining cottages homes too, are also being restored back to how they were, before the unfortunate fire.
243239201_InghamTheSwanInn.thumb.JPG.6cbd6406e7e261ae4b2128daa4af0e81.JPG
I love the sign saying "Smoke Free Pub"....

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Good idea to have a fire alarm system in place during the build phase these days, not just as an output requirement. There’s been a few timber frame developments go up in smoke in recent years part way through construction. Look forward to the Swan reopening, always been a brilliant pub and eatery in my 30 years as a punter.

Another step forward, the plasterers are in, their van has been there a few days and I've now seen them carting in Plasterboard... Hmm Plasterboard not very original to a 14th century building..

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Another step forward, the plasterers are in, their van has been there a few days and I've now seen them carting in Plasterboard... Hmm Plasterboard not very original to a 14th century building..

Can't see the insurance company paying for wattle and daub.:default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not surprisingly they've pinned back some of the plastic protecting the buildings to let some cooling air in for the workers. This has allowed me to see that the cremated Swan, has it's under roof on, so effectively it is now water proof. No doubt thatch will be put on to of that once the plastic comes off.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The temporary scaffolding roof has now been removed from the cremated Swan, and she looks resplendant in her new thatch. She is still surounded by scaffolding though, and the outside needs painting.

The properties next door still have their scaffolding roof, and I can now see their roof is being boarded out..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Reopening the cremated Swan comes closer,  as the swinging swan sign has been restored and put in place.  A man has been restoring the plasterwork on the front. 

Meanwhile  next door the battens are being put in place for the thatching. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 5 weeks later...

The Cremated Swan, doesn't look so cremated now, the outside has been painted, lighting installed on the front of the pub and the fencing along the front has been replaced.

There is now an out of working hours security man  staying in a motorcaravan guarding the place, I saw him wandering around with torch while I was waiting at the lights. So I guess the expensive stuff is now being installed inside..

The house next door has had it's roof battoned out ready for thatching..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the slightly cremated (the roof and upstairs) houses next door are being thatched, it doesn't look like it will take long to finish.

They have however dug up the road outside the Swan and Houses but inside the barriers.

I reckon there is a good chance all the barriers will be down before C********s.

• Thanks 4