• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• calender payment

Calendar Paymene

Delivery Options
    Your NBN Forum Username:

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Polly

Mtb 102

Talking to a lady from 102,at Yarmouth Maritime festival last week she said insurance restrictions during windy weather had meant they had not been out so much this year .

It's a proper bit of kit isn't it! Would've loved to have heard it on the original engines though!

• Like 1

RTTL2757 at RAF Hendon has always interested me, a 'crash' boat powered by two 1700hp RR Sea Griffons (a kind of marinised Merlin) built by Vospers, which would have been an amazing bit of kit... fuel bills must have been apocalyptic  though

having been out to sea on the old girl, when filming Broad Ambition, an in company with two of HM finest, even with the engines she has - she has got a fair turn of speed, and if you ever get the opportunity to go to sea on her you should, its a magical experience.

14 minutes ago, grendel said:

having been out to sea on the old girl, when filming Broad Ambition, an in company with two of HM finest, even with the engines she has - she has got a fair turn of speed, and if you ever get the opportunity to go to sea on her you should, its a magical experience.

Oh trust me, I'd absolutely love to go out on her. She's amazing even with the current Cummins(?) motors, I was just reminiscing how awesome she would have sounded at full chat (wasn't that about 40 knots?) with the original petrol/avgas motors!

I had the pleasure of helming her up to Beccles, which was unforgettable.

There used to be a liveaboard MTB at Woodbridge, the owner sold the original engines to finance the conversion and put a pair of (I think) big Cats in. He had permission to open her up between Waldringfield and Bawdsey  on a few winter days when most of the trot  moorings were empty. I did have a 35mm slide of her at full chat taken from the Waldingfield Maybush garden! 

• Like 1

The bit of film re.MTB102 that scared me was them cracking on at sea and Griff out on deck doing 'summat wi' ensign'. Those decks are sloping  down to the edges and no toerails or whatever. I got vertigo going through the Mutford Lock!

By coincidence we've just got back from a week in Portmouth.  Down ther they've got HSL 102 a 64ft RAF high speed launch of 1936 vintage.   In her RAF colours, we saw her tootling about the harbour a couple of times.

3 napier Sealion engines - 500 miles range at 35 knots.  That will give you back-ache!

Don't know if anyone watches Antiques Road Trip but, this week, Trevanion was out on MTB102 and they had her going at full chat of 35 knots allegedly! Certainly looked very impressive.

20 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Don't know if anyone watches Antiques Road Trip but, this week, Trevanion was out on MTB102 and they had her going at full chat of 35 knots allegedly! Certainly looked very impressive.

Trevanion at full chat, or MTB102?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MTB102 will no way do 35kts today. In her current configuration she will manage 25kts tops

Griff

but she is still faster than Explorer and Trumpeter (just)

• Like 1