Workshop Projects

grendel

recycling time this evening, having just had a shift around in the office at work, it was a case of short drawers in long slots, leaving a gap between the desks about 400mm square, now what to do here, its a dead paper trap, difficult to get anything out if it drops in. unfortunately the desks either side are different heights, about 6mm difference.

so some cover plates have been made, to fill the holes, an old ply wardrobe back has been recycled, and strips glued to it (to stop the wood sliding into the hole) by tomorrow the glue should be dry and I will give it a quick coat of wax polish, then it will be ready for the office.

on a side note the pillar drill stand is complete, just need to bolt the drill to it now.

IMG_7750.JPG

IMG_7749.JPG

• Like 2

This mornings boot fair found a whole lot of accessories for the workshop, from large drill bits for the pillar drill, to a second table vice similar to one I already have, and on one stall what must have been a machinists tool box, all sorts of small metal marking out tools and what appear to be small profile shaping tools- maybe for shaping brass in a lathe. £20 total spend, a tool expert who I know and met as I was buying them told me the eclipse hacksaw blades I got were worth £2 each, and I got those and all the marking tools for just £3

IMG_7754.JPG

IMG_7755.JPG

IMG_7753.JPG

IMG_7752.JPG

IMG_7751.JPG

• Like 4

rust cleaned off and all items protected with some car wax polish. I have cut down my old galvanised steel bench top, and fitted it to part of my work bench, I now have a decent top to do  really messy jobs on. next I really have to crack on with model #2.

IMG_7756.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grendel said:

rust cleaned off and all items protected with some car wax polish. I have cut down my old galvanised steel bench top, and fitted it to part of my work bench, I now have a decent top to do  really messy jobs on. next I really have to crack on with model #2.

IMG_7756.JPG

I really do like your drill holsters.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

another workshop project, convert my lathe to 24V, the current 90W motor is intermittent rated - that means 20 minutes cooling for every 10 minutes use. a while back I found the remains of an electric scooter with a 200w motor.

the big problem, its a 24v motor, now I could run it off 2 car batteries, or I could buy a 24v power supply - this was purchased, a 15A (360W) power supply for just £18.

Add the three parts together, and my lathe is now powered by a 200W continuous rated motor at 24v

IMG_7868.JPG

IMG_7869.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

on my lathe pulley belting has been obtained, still awaiting a 15A speed controller, so motor has been removed.

meanwhile prompted by the chairman of my astronomy club, who announced that I would undoubtedly be bringing along a wacky entry for our club christmas buffet and competition, I have been preparing my entry for next month.

Yes its a 3d printed set of planets, set on stalks, painted and mounted on a board,  the spacing is on a logarithmic scale for the distance from the sun, where the spacing works out quite well.

IMG_7914.JPG

IMG_7915.JPG

IMG_7916.JPG

IMG_7917.JPG

IMG_7918.JPG

IMG_7919.JPG

IMG_7920.JPG

IMG_7921.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

day off work today, so workshop time, after a trip to the local tool shop to get some welding wire, some new nozzles and some air compressor oil, it was time to do some work, maintenance was done on the mig welder, it now feeds properly. then it was on to making a tool rest for the wood turning lathe I picked up at the boot fair at the weekend. after that it was an oil change for the compressor, I took the drain plug out and for some reason it wasnt draining well, so a quick blast of compressed air cleared the crud blockage and allowed it to drain properly, topped up again with new oil, and it was ready to go.

another project completed today was a cover to put over the air con controls at work, everyone tweaks it as they walk past, so it goes from cold to hot, to cold, all day, so I have made a barred cover to hide the controls, with a false lock and hinges, more as a bit of a joke really, today it was painted white to make it less obvious.

IMG_7922.JPG

IMG_7923.JPG

IMG_7924.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Grendel you wll need to grind off the thread on the bottom where the clamp goes, as it will deform the thread and make it impossible to remove

its quite a loose fit, and I might want to angle it, so I will see how it goes, thanks for the warning though, I will keep my eyes on it.

well the speed controllers for my lathe arrived, tested, then a 3d box was designed and printed, the speed controller and on off switch added. this was fixed to the lathe baseboard (then moved after I figured the handle for manual threading would not clear it).

IMG_7933.JPG

IMG_7934.JPG

IMG_7935.JPG

• Like 1