Workshop Projects

grendel

22 minutes ago, grendel said:

a few more hours work brings me to here - 

the  holes still need enlarging slightly, so the pegs fit a bit deeper, then its sanding, cleaning up and finishing required. then one hand made Christmas present ready for my parents.

IMG_7937.JPG

What a lovely gift: something that has been made, not bought.

Hmmm do the ladies have similar workshops? 

This is mine, it doubles as a spare room, and those are two of Brilliant's mattresses standing up against the wall. There is an overlocking machine under the checked cover. It's  sitting on my grandma's treadle machine. I have two other sewing machines on the shelves and the banker boxes are full of sewing items; threads, interfacing, stabilisers, fastenings etc. 

There is a three drawer chest and a tray unit under the shelves with fabrics, and that is it.

All I need is in that space.

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

• Like 3

The sheet of marine ply is an extra large surface that goes on top of the treadle machine so that I can use two sewing machines at the same time, say overlocker and embroidery.

Although not strictly needed, I have asked Santa for a dress form which will have to stand in the corner. 

• Like 1

The last couple of weeks' projects included a shepherd costume with secret car pockets and a Paddington hat with fabric marmalade sandwich for number 1 grandson, (pictured); and the evening dress I went out in last night, (not pictured).:55c8f94983015_default_happyparty:

Next week it's curtains for daughter's house and some Christmas presents.

IMG_0861.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

• Like 4

It seems my living room has become another kind of workshop of late. A partition made from a 2x4, the table and stool that I made, a couple of white sheets and a few clamps, microphone, two softboxes, two diffuse lights, ring light, no autocue (That's on the other set. Ellie & scripts are a bit like a 30-year-old malt and cocacola...you just don't) camera, 50mm prime lens, 18-55mm lens, one loudly snoring beagle and another deciding it's bath night...beagle style, means I've got a lot of editing to do this week!
DSC_0017.JPG

• Like 4

I do also have a shed, strictly writing and office work, so I don't think that counts as hobby space; though if I did what I keep intending to do, it would be the self-funding writing shed as originally intended, when I named it the Roald Dahl Memorial Shed? 

• Like 1

Oh Polly I wish I was that clever, all those sewing machines.  I never could sew.  When it came to choose between cookery and sewing for 'O' Level, I chose cookery.  Just scraped a pass so not much of a chef either!

I can knit though and my knitting kit is spread around a few cabinets.  It's amazing how much space 100gm balls of wool take.

At the moment I am being gainfully employed knitting baby bobble hats for our local maternity unit. They let it be known they need 5,000 a year and asked all us knitters to help.  The one I'm doing at the moment is cable which does rather get the grey cells going.

aside from varnishing the stern of model #2, today I stripped down and rewired a magnifying lamp, this one is a flourescent tube one I got from the boot fair, it had been giving me a slight tingle when I touched it indicating a bad earth, anyway, rewired, earthed properly to the metal chassis, its now perfectly safe. so I set about mounting it in a base I had available, a 1/2" hole was drilled through a 2" dia block of brass, then this was turned down to 1" to fit the base, the base was then mounted on a plank of wood that can be clamped to the bench wherever I need it.

IMG_7947.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's an old one Grendel we had some of them in the Home Office workshop I worked in repairing radio's 25 years ago, I swapped mine to a new model with a flap on the lens, ok I used to sit my Casio tv on it to watch tv during the day. I had the other version of these which had 2 off 2 foot tubes in it, must have left in my old house when I moved.

• 3 months later...

well tonight aside from working on the model, I repaired the spare ABS module for the car.

as I was getting the ABS light up on the car almost daily now, I ordered a spare (maybe the only one in the country) my volvo has a particular one only used for the one year, when it arrived I was dissapointed to find that my £100 purchase was in worse condition than the one in the car. last night I cut into the case and accessed the circuit board - the common problem with these is dry solder joints on the two pins that supply the ABS pump. so last night I found the dry joint on this module and fitted it to the car today. this now worked.

So tonight it was the turn of the old unit from my car. the lid was cut at the point it has problem connections, the dry joint was found, and resoldered, just to be sure all the connections to the connectors were resoldered, and I am happy I now have a fully working spare for the car. the first couple of pictures are the problem joints, they work fine until the unit warms up, then the hole expands and breaks the circuit. once soldered the lid was sealed back in place with a hot glue gun.

IMG_9270.JPG

IMG_9271.JPG

IMG_9272.JPG

IMG_9273.JPG

IMG_9274.JPG

IMG_9275.JPG

IMG_9276.JPG

• Like 1