If It Aint Brooke Then Don't Try To Fix It..

C.Ricko

there has been a few bits done on this but as usual I commit to other peoples boats and mine take a back seat, 

the bearers are all in and most of the bilges painted out, I have removed 2 bulkheads/seat backs and stripped back and varnished them, just one more to do, there is an engine in and the whole thing has been looked at a lot. 

this is the rear seat back, the four boards on the port side are badly rotted at the base but I decided to cut them short, harden the hell out of them and put them back as I think the 90 year old wood looks better than with a few new bits or a whole new back but thats my personal taste, besides, there is a seat base going on and cushions so you won't see any of it either, in the same way I have polished and reused the original screws where possible as I think they look better, i only had enough to do the hatch in the middle but you won't see the new screws in the other bits.. 

IMG_0808 (1).jpg

IMG_0880 (2).jpg

IMG_0894 (1).jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

the photos are not great but hey ho...

this is the seat back from the cockpit, I don't think I have a 'before ' picture but the hatch in the pic is from the aft bulkhead of the engine bay, it was the same bubbly gluey varnish which clogged untold amounts of sanding discs...

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

couple more pictures, engine on new bearer and  connected to the shaft, I made some beds to raise the engine a bit but not a difficult thing, 

the transom was removed and we found a bit of rot in the oak corners so one was replaced and the whole lot tightened up.. I did have a piece  of wood for the transom but am just trying to find a better bit before I get it fitted.. 

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hi John, 

not that stupid, its because the shaft line on the new engine is lower because the engine feet, luckily the standard engine feet are the same width. 

there is some up and down adjustment  on the isolators but not enough and I don't like to have them fully adjusted, I just put a strip of wood on top, i made it look a bit fancy and it also covered a few holes from previous installations

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

she looked better before we started! 

Strangely the areas around the screws look darker in the pictures than in reality.. you can lift these dark areas out with acid but i didn't think we needed to,

Hi John, 
not that stupid, its because the shaft line on the new engine is lower because the engine feet, luckily the standard engine feet are the same width. 
there is some up and down adjustment  on the isolators but not enough and I don't like to have them fully adjusted, I just put a strip of wood on top, i made it look a bit fancy and it also covered a few holes from previous installations

Ah, that makes perfect sense thank you.
I was thinking centre of gravity higher, bigger angle on prop etc etc. Over thinking it as usual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, springsong said:

We used quite a bit of Oxalic acid on SP with amazing results.

yes, it is good stuff, i finished a coat rack the other week made from a vintage water ski, it took most of the black out.. 

the pegs are off a telegraph pole. 

IMG_0806.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1