A Little Addition Behind!

Timbo

Hi Timmsy Whimmsy, Malanka was officially 64 in May this year. There are things on her (I won't say in public forum) that are from the 1920's though as well. Still going strong.

With reference to your lovely lecture on form and function (look see how I summarised that for you).

I personally would only shoot rapids in a jet boat made of metal.

The 40kts power boats you see criss crossing the sea in Thailand are metal too

The little water taxis tend to be wooden.

The really huge big, massive V8 powered boats are wooden also.

All perfect in form and function.

Thinking of form over function the Mary Rose is a good case in point.  

Form and function coming together in harmony is the designers dream. The Spitfire comes to mind, the eliptical wing designed to accomodate the machine guns actually embued the fighter with remarkable characteristics, both physically and in the aesthetic realm too.  

You about in October for that wine tasting ? Nobody called Timmy drinks beer. Nothing wrong with a good old stereotype or two...

M

It's interesting that a woodie may be seen as classic / vintage when they are similar date to a glassfibre boat.

The First glassfibre boat (using polyester resin) was a dinghy in 1942(in the USA) thats 75 years ago.

One of the most common Keelboats on the Broads is the Yeoman and the oldest is now about 45 years old.

The Elysian 27 is a 55 year old design in glassfibre,

It would be interesting to know when the first glassfibre Hire boat was built,

• Like 1

If anyone is interested it was in fact my Maternal Grandfather (H.V Andrew) with the then Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI Billingham) who pioneered the development and use of polymer based products way before a certain US based company managed without the fundamental research done by ICI, to miraculously engineer similar materials...All a matter of public record.

My mum had plastic building bricks made by him at ICI in 1936. They were stolen in a house break in before the war ..  

This remains my only claim to vicarious fame ..lol If you don't count two episodes of "We Are The Champions" in  the summer of 1974 with the Lovely Ron Pickering. We won (Beat Joseph Rowntree School) then lost in the final...

Ahhh memories.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/09/2017 at 01:17, Timbo said:

Can you guess what it is yet?
DSC_0215.JPG

Yes, with Doug's help I've bought another boat...definately a project boat...
DSC_0214.JPG

An 8' Barrow Boat, full kit and caboodle. A flappy thing! Currently named Moonlight, she will become the 'Gracie Tatie' named for my Granddaughter Grace. A GT to Royal Tudor's RT. Grace is excited even though the Gracie Tatie will not be staying that 'orrible pink colour! Quite a bit of work to do!

I would call it knackered :default_biggrin: