Anglers At Potter.

macroft1

We noticed at the start of this season that the No Fishing signs on the quay heading between the two bridges had been removed. We have managed to moor there throughout the summer but the number of anglers has been steadily increasing. The BA signage for the 24hr free mooring does not state that anglers must make way for boats wishing to moor so I can see this causing problems. 

Just yesterday we heard from some friends of ours that they struggled to get on the moorings because they were lined with anglers. The angler that took their ropes pulled them in so hard that they hit the quay heading and damaged their paintwork. They were miffed with a boat trying to moor up and were concerned for the welfare of their fishing rods. 

We came home yesterday afternoon and going over Potter road bridge it was clear to see that there wasn't a single boat there and no space either as it was lined with many anglers. 

This is just a "heads up" to anyone wishing to moor there in future as the situation is not clear at all and I can see a potential for confrontation between boaters and anglers. 

Let's be careful out there. 

Regards. 
Mark.

• Like 1

I telephoned the Broads Authority regarding the anglers and the disappearance of the "No Fishing" signs towards the end of August. After much confusion and information found at their end, the gentleman knew nothing about these signs, and simply read from some form of document stating that fishing wasn't allowed within so many yards of the bridge, in order not to hinder boats travelling through. I cannot remember the exact length, but it wasn't the length of the mooring. When I tried to insist that there had been notices there earlier, and I had seen them enforced by BA, he just read the usual blurb on BA moorings regarding anglers giving way to boats. I explained that this wasn't the notice there originally, and there was no notice at all there now regarding angling, he clearly thought I was mad  and I came away thinking perhaps he was right and I had imagined the whole thing. I will try to find the email later.

Just now, johnb said:

I telephoned the Broads Authority regarding the anglers and the disappearance of the "No Fishing" signs towards the end of August. After much confusion and information found at their end, the gentleman knew nothing about these signs, and simply read from some form of document stating that fishing wasn't allowed within so many yards of the bridge, in order not to hinder boats travelling through. I cannot remember the exact length, but it wasn't the length of the mooring. When I tried to insist that there had been notices there earlier, and I had seen them enforced by BA, he just read the usual blurb on BA moorings regarding anglers giving way to boats. I explained that this wasn't the notice there originally, and there was no notice at all there now regarding angling, he clearly thought I was mad  and I came away thinking perhaps he was right and I had imagined the whole thing. I will try to find the email later.

My point entirely - there is no info regarding angling and who takes priorty. I like it there but will now avoid due to my short temper and not wanting confrontation whilst on holiday!

reply from BA in August:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your telephone call of today regarding fishing at The Green, Potter Heigham. 

As discussed, there is a restriction on fishing at the bridge to ensure there is full access to the bridge hole by boaters.  However, this only extends about 1/3 of the length of the mooring.  Also as every site is designated individually (and some sites may have older signs erected) the fishing restriction notice you mentioned might not always be present. 

Please respond to me if you feel you want us to investigate this further. 

40 minutes ago, johnb said:

full access to the bridge hole by boaters.

I do wish they could speak English. I have no idea what a bridge hole is and boaters come from Florida, not Norfolk.

As to priority, on a river navigation such as at Potter, a fisherman's lines are obstructing the navigation and must be pulled in to allow vessels to navigate.

It is also a rather silly place for anyone to want to have some peaceful fishing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnb said:

reply from BA in August:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your telephone call of today regarding fishing at The Green, Potter Heigham. 

As discussed, there is a restriction on fishing at the bridge to ensure there is full access to the bridge hole by boaters.  However, this only extends about 1/3 of the length of the mooring.  Also as every site is designated individually (and some sites may have older signs erected) the fishing restriction notice you mentioned might not always be present. 

Please respond to me if you feel you want us to investigate this further. 

That is an awful reply from what is supposed to be a professional body! They're basically dodging the issue, or maybe they really do not have a clue as to what the restrictions ect are at the Potter Bridge moorings. Interestingly, if you look at the BA moorings list, there are 2 sets of moorings listed, one on the Repps side and the other on the Martham side. It is a bit confusing, can anybody clarify?

A certain amount of misinformation in the original and some subsequent posts.  Firstly there is not a free 24 hour mooring 'between the bridges' at Potter Heigham (beside the old Broadshaven Tavern).  These are short stay (i.e two hour) moorings during the daytime.  The 'no fishing' signs that had been on that bank were downriver (i.e closer to the old bridge) than the first of the mooring posts and were removed after fishermen queried the signs, because actually there are no byelaws preventing fishing at that location, which is not part of the mooring (hence the absence of mooring posts).  Fishermen are obliged not to obstruct the navigation, and would be so doing if their rods and lines extended across the river in front of the old bridge so as to interfere with boats passing through, and I have seen that point made to them by the Rangers.  I thought there was wording on the free moorings sign to the effect that fishermen must give way where the posts are, but am prepared to be proved wrong on that, but in any event, since it is an offence to prevent the lawful mooring of a boat, and mooring posts are provided for the express purpose of mooring boats, it should be pretty obvious that they should give way.  There never were 'no fishing' signs where the mooring posts are, only in the vicinity of the bridge.  It would be rather pointless having a demasting mooring at this location, between the bridges, since the mast would need to be down through both bridges!  There are demasting moorings upriver of the new bridge, on both banks.  As to the previous post, there are 24 hour moorings on the Martham bank, i.e. upriver of both bridges on the Martham side of the river, and the Repps bank, i.e. downriver of both bridges on the Repps side of the river.

• Like 2

I am pretty sure the no fishing sign was attached to the instructions regarding mooring times. This is more or less, I would say, equidistant between  the bridges although perhaps a little towards the new bridge  ( I didn't think to measure. When I rang they  too had trouble finding the information as it apparently isn't included  under potter heigham but seperately as "the green" or similar .

but in any event, since it is an offence to prevent the lawful mooring of a boat, and mooring posts are provided for the express purpose of mooring boats, it should be pretty obvious that they should give way.  

Good point that one, must try to remember it if I'm ever unfortunate enough to need to

Griff

• Like 1