Epoxy paint

Have just found out that I am supposed to paint my Aluminium props with epoxy paint. About half the paint has come off them and I was going to leave them but apparently that is asking for trouble. Had stainless on my old boat and these props were new when I put the boat in 15 months ago so have not done anything with them before.

Unfortunately I do not have time to get any off the interwebnet before the weekend so is there anywhere around Great Yarmouth (Goodchilds) that stocks international marine paints where a friend could pick some up for me? Unfortunately they are not big on marine paints in Birmingham, well unless you want black tar for a steel canal barge.

Ian

Hi Ian...

just got in and read this...two possible suggestions...Northgate Marine Volvo or what about Jeckles the Chandlers in oulton Broad...I know they stock some "international" stuff.

I am not going to be up that early tomorrow (working late), but if johnathan has no luck at GMS if you can find out if either of these two have it (whilst I am in slumberland), I can go pick it up for you tomorrow afternoon.

b rgds

LB aka adam... :pirate :pirate :pirate

Ian

I may be missing the point here, but reading through Steel Developments repair service, it says that the Aluminium repairs include a coating of synthetic paint. Do you still need to paint over this then? The only reason I ask is that following our lift today, I have had to take off the props as all 4 need repairing :( .

Hi Mark,

I only had to send one of my props back so I have to paint the other 3.

Have your props been damaged by impact damage? Steel developments can work wonders on props as long as there is 10% of the blade left but if it is electrolysis they cant do anything with them, even if it looks like minor damage.

I have found that the props are electrically isolated from the rest of the drive so the anodes don't protect them, they rely purely on the paint.

Blimy easter,s looming are u going to be ready??

I hope so Trev :( . I've paid for the repair of all four with Steel developments online, and I'll post them Monday. I hope they would be back within a week and we can get her back in the water fairly sharpish.

Unfortunatley the lift was only arranged to hold in the slings over the weekend and drop back in on Monday. It was only to change the depth transducer and the outdrive oil, but it seems a bit of work on the props is needed too.

It is impact damage, and all fairly recent by the looks of it. I don't recall feeling any clunks, so whether they were already damaged when we bought her I have no idea. Nearly all the tips have chunks missing, and one is bent rather noticeably.

Here's a pic of the typical damage (note the larger bit missing from the blade behind).

post-264-136713666563_thumb.jpg

At least the trim tabs look okay and now seem to be functioning fine (I think water in the head unit was to blame for dodgy LED readings), and all the bellows have been replaced as I was told,

The anodes are all zinc and covered in a hard scale. I have ordered aluminium anodes for the outdrives, but what should I do about the ones on the trim tabs? They are about 15% gone, but again are zinc and covered in scale. Should I change these for aluminium too?

From the look of it you will have no problem getting them repaired, It took 6 working days from sending mine to getting them back so I would be surprised if you dont send them till Monday if you have them back for the weekend.

Have you ordered the performance metal anodes? they seem to work brilliantly. my tab anodes are zinc and I had the same thought, I didn't change mine so I will see but I didn't change them last time and there is no sign of any corrosion on the tabs in the last 18 months.

I took Kingfisher's and Kiki's and picked them up.

I was not trusting that value of scrap metal to any courier :o

Had the opportunity to have a good natter and a coffee with them although you would never know a business ran from the premises.

I am sure they will weld that Mark and machine down.

If I am short of a razor at the weekend I will just use our prop, goodness the leading edges are sharp :shocked

Yes they do look like they have been eating Brundell bay batteries ,and shopping trolleyies ,(they chuck everything in there, lol),mine are a bit blunt on the leading edges ,and have no paint left there eiether ,but shine after a run,will have to see how they go now we are now in fresher water,those due o props seem to suscepatable to damage ,it could even be a tangled rope which has bent the blades. I literaly prop walked the boat half way up rockland straith last year ,but didn,t damage the blades like that(bravo 1 legs) with single props,hope your whoes get better soon :wave

I think it's probably down to the fact they are pretty thin aluminium, which is easily damaged. When I get a working depth sounder, at least it'll be easier to see when I should lift the legs to avoid the bottom, but won't help with trollies or batteries! I suppose even stones sucked of the bottom during maneuvering could cause it too.

Well in a rush to get Clanny back in the water the props are to be painted with aluminium special primer and Hammerite smooth black, seems to be varying views as to how effective it will be but I guess I will just have to watch them through the year. The fact that the factory finish from Powertech was over half off in 12 months doesnt fill me with a great amount of confidence so it may be a mid season lift will be on the cards.