Slapping Noise On The Bow

Moosey

3 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Ive noticed it to some degree on almost every boat ive hired/owned.  

The weird thing about Norfolk/Suffolk is the wind often  calms down at night and the water goes flat calm so you get a decent nights kip. 

Don't think  that's gonna happen tonight ,  this is exactly why I never sleep In a forward cabin , most the time the wind dies off but tonight and tomorrow I very much doubt it will happen .

1 hour ago, Moosey said:

Never had a boat as noisy as this before!  Is it normal to have a slapping/banging noise on the bow in windy conditions?  Are we moored the wrong way maybe?  

Hello Moosey,

Some locations are worse than others, the green at Horning and the outer pontoons on Oulton Broad, we have only moored at the Bell Inn once and we were glad to moor up, it was very dark by the time we went under St Olaves Bridge. I would think because of this area having very fast tides you would get a lot of slap on the hull.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your replies!  I think we must have been lucky before and never had a week with high winds before.  We have tucked ourselves into a corner and will see how we go.  It was bad last night at north walsam broad too so I think it must be the design of this boat combined with the wind.  Never mind I'll soon be so tired I'll eventually sleep :default_biggrin:

The worst thing is that once heard it's hard to ignore especially in the otherwise very quiet early hours of the morning! It's only happened to us a couple of times. Doesn't matter which way you are facing at a side on mooring, if the tide turns in the middle of the night it will get you one way or the other!

• Like 2

The rain drumming on the roof, water slapping against the boat, a metronomic sound. That nudge against the bank, that reassuring nudge to tell that all is well in the storm, that the mooring lines are holding.

Quite comforting really when you are as snug as a bug in a rug, in your bunk for the night.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Wussername said:

The rain drumming on the roof, water slapping against the boat, a metronomic sound. That nudge against the bank, that reassuring nudge to tell that all is well in the storm, that the mooring lines are holding.

Quite comforting really when you are as snug as a bug in a rug, in your bunk for the night.

To that I'd add the patter of rat's feet as they scavenge around the decks of your boat!

• Like 2

Not had the slapping thing keeping me awake but one September night moored at Ranworth on the main front a storm blew up with the wind blowing onshore and the transom fender kept riding over the quay heading......thud......thud....thud.....all bloomin night

Now most of you will be thinking why didn't he get up and sort it out? It was Mum n Dads boat and the fender ropes were spliced on both ends......:1310_thumbsup_tone1:

The absolute worse are the Faircraft Loynes low wash hulls - with all their sharp chines and crevasses which while effective at low speeds for reducing wash, at higher speeds cause a horrendous stern wave and drag.

But, other 'planning' style boats like Brinks Belmore and Brinks Royale cause similar where the small wavelets hit, the only boats to be free from this are those with a rounded smooth bow - bathtubs for example. If you turn the boat around your be ok for a bit until the tide change direction - it is just one of those things to get used to and after a while, I at least did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

The absolute worse are the Faircraft Loynes low wash hulls - with all their sharp chines and crevasses which while effective at low speeds for reducing wash, at higher speeds cause a horrendous stern wave and drag.

But, other 'planning' style boats like Brinks Belmore and Brinks Royale cause similar where the small wavelets hit, the only boats to be free from this are those with a rounded smooth bow - bathtubs for example. If you turn the boat around your be ok for a bit until the tide change direction - it is just one of those things to get used to and after a while, I at least did.

We've always had bathtubs before, so that would explain it!  Wasn't so bad after we had turned her around, think it was mainly down to the wind.

I never mind hearing the slapping of the water against the hull and I can honestly say it's never kept me awake at night. The last few days have been so windy I would think most boats out would have experienced a fair amount of slapping at some point. Herringfleet was always one place where the water seemed to slap continuously but it used to make me smile when we hired as I was on the Broads again! We don't stop there now as there is nowhere to walk the dogs so I have to settle for the 'Somerleyton Slap'!