Slapping Noise On The Bow

Moosey

Fender bumping is often more of a problem. so we often lift all fenders that aren't required, and change the rope length to suit on the others.

Doing this at 2:00  am in your pyjamas and life jacket is not recommended lol.. especially in a force 6.

Best advice... listen to the weather forecast, and use a flag like the NBN one to indicate the current wind direction.

Richard

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Viking23 said:

Fender bumping is often more of a problem. so we often lift all fenders that aren't required, and change the rope length to suit on the others.

Doing this at 2:00  am in your pyjamas and life jacket is not recommended lol.. especially in a force 6.

Best advice... listen to the weather forecast, and use a flag like the NBN one to indicate the current wind direction.

Richard

Hi Richard,

It not so much the fenders bumping that made us fit fender socks many years ago, it was the squeaking of the fenders in heavy wind.

OK we do not get the fenders squeaking now but we still get it from the ropes, on the Tuesday night of the storm a few weeks ago now of our crew had any sleep that night.

Our NBN burgee flies proud, we also have a wind indicator.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:20, Moosey said:

Thanks everyone for your replies!  I think we must have been lucky before and never had a week with high winds before.  We have tucked ourselves into a corner and will see how we go.  It was bad last night at north walsam broad too so I think it must be the design of this boat combined with the wind.  Never mind I'll soon be so tired I'll eventually sleep :default_biggrin:

Hi, I can tell you the new design of low wash hulls are great, super efficient and much better for the environment, with lower wash. HOWEVER... We have been going to the broads, on and off for the last 30 years or so and had many different boats from many different boat yards and we have covered the entire area of the broads, both north and south, mooring overnight in all different locations... We ALWAYS, ALWAYS  tried to moor in a broad at night as it was ALWAYS the most peaceful nights sleep, no matter what the weather, never and annoying water slap noise at all.. until two years ago when we returned for the first time in quite a few years and we hired a bang up to date cruiser with all the latest mod cons, including a bath... and a low wash hull..... every aspect of this boat was an improvement on the older boats we had sailed over the years.... apart from the noise from the water slap every single night, at one point we almost took the boat back a couple days early after a really bad night. The weather was in no way bad either it seems the slightest amount of movement on the water is a problem... we had a bed in the bow and when we looked under the mattress void in the bow, apart from a few sand bags, presumably for ballast, the bow was empty , and as you know empty vessels make the most noise...especially in a boat with a bow that is designed to break up the waves as they pass through the hull and the hollow space was amplifying the sound so badly it is a real problem and these new boats should have some sort of soundproofing.... we have just been back to same boat yard this may and made a point of getting an old style bow and we got the old style peaceful nights sleep again..... no question this issue needs to be resolved, as pretty soon all the boats will have this eco hull design....still love boating on broads but I will NEVER take out these low wash hull boats and I would advise anyone to ask the boat yard about this before hiring a boat or it could seriously spoil your time there, the boat yards need to be aware of this issue and made to do something about it.

• Like 2

Mention has been made of fender socks, arghh! Grit and sand can and does lodge in the weave of the cloth. I've seen boats with well abraded hulls where socked fenders have been hanging. In my opinion best avoided. As for lubricants, washing up liquid has long been used, both on fenders and on warps where they pass through fairleads. Well placed and adjusted springs and breast ropes can hold a boat away from the shore thus reducing fender squeak. 

• Like 3