B.A. Policy on Residential Craft

jillR

You certainly paint an ideal picture Aquaholic - and it will work if those living on boats in locations where, currently, they shoud not are "up for it". It also places a certain amount of burden on the marina operator, who would probably prefer to rent to those selecting a lifestyle rather than a cheaper alternative to onshore housing.

it is not illegal to live on your boat on the broads, or at sea or on the rivers or canals, it never has been, Its not living on your boat that is the issue, the right to live on your boat has been established for centuries,

the issue is using a particular location as a residential moorings, a mooring that is a permanant base. if you can prove use continuously prior to 1949 I believe that you do not require planning consent, you are protected by the established use rules of the 1972 miscelaneous provisions act.

some liveaboards are left now with requiring planning consent where they had not previously, enforcement will mean forcing people to continually cruise when they may have jobs, children in school, local family and other factors that tie them to the area that they have been living in, that does not seem right to me.

The BA have come out and said we are using "National Park" policy guidlines which are extremely onerous to determine wether or not we will grant permission should anyone apply. (even though they are not a National Park)

In my veiw its only an established boatyard that would be able to meet the requirements as set out in the planning policy document, but it will take a lot to get the BA to support such an application. its up to the boatyard wether they feel such a development would benefit them, If the associations can get some interest from the boatyards in providing residential moorings that meet the criterea set down by the BA it can only help thier cause for more residential moorings even if they come from the private sector.

yes, there will always be the "free spirit" who wont conform but why should the rest suffer for the minority

hi soundings

i find that residential boaters who have chosen the life style for economic reasons alone, soon move back to the land.

the out come of evicting boats from a mooring such as thorpe is more boats clogging up 24hr moorings for the summer.

hi dave

your post sums it up for me, thanks. to me it just makes so much sense so why not ?

many have seen my restoration thread, how much of that could i have done as a continual cruiser ?

jill

The problems recited here are exactly those experienced by the canals except there are many residential moorings available on the canals and these are increasing, I believe. There is also a lot more room for such moorings as there seems to be a new marina cropping up every week! Also it is fair to say that the BWB navigable water extends to 1000s of miles rather than the 100s the Broads has.

In general terms I have no objection to residential craft but only if there is room for them. I am probably not so liberal as some and I take the view if there is no formal residential mooring available then that is the end of it. That is not to say I necessarily agree with the withdrawal of faciliities that have been in place for some years be they formal or informal. Just to balance the books, I feel much the same way about housing, people are free to live wherever they wish provided there is accomodation available; I do not believe houses should just be built to accomodate people wishing to move into a fashionable area.

i think its more simple that people look at it from...

if they pay there toll BSS insurance take care of there boat then there should be no problem there is plenty of river for every body..

if thats the way people want to play it them simplify the rules

coastal & sea going boat should keep the there area IE the sea

sailies to the lakes

canal boat to the canals

river cruisers to the rivers..

if we can mix and match today on the rivers why cant the liveaboard who play by the rules stay on the water..& the ones that dont must go..

Jonny ice sliceice slice

hi soundings

i do agree with your points.

there are a few differences on these water ways compared to the canal system that make a difference.

when i lived aboard in the midlands i noticed that the canals were much more popular than the rivers for livaboards as

there were very few on the main rivers such as the less hospitable trent.

if you sink your home on a canal then you may end up waist deep in water but on the trent or broads,

its an entirely different matter.

evicting residential boats from yards like thorpe will not stop residential boating it will just help clog the system for all of us.

i wont even start on the human rights issues side of the situation here.

jill

• 3 months later...
Broads Authority Notice.

A new officer to deal with unauthorised moorings.

Enforcement officer John Coles has been appointed to investigate

the increasing number of people living on boats on unauthorised moorings,

abandoned vessels and unauthorised riverside development on the Broads.

The role is funded for two years by

the Planning Delivery Grant and is currently focussing

on Thorpe Island and Haddiscoe Cut.

If a satisfactory resolution is not

achieved by negotiation then the use

of enforcement action will require

boats to move within a given time.

If the owner still does not comply John may then apply to the Planning Committee

to take direct action to remove the boat and recover costs.

john coles

A quick update....

the enforcement notice served on my neighbours has been withdrawn, as I predicted at the start. The Enforcement Notice on the bungalow on Thorpe Island has also been withdrawn.

Also, word on the street (as it were) is that the Enforcement Officer appointed specially to deal with the issue of liveaboards, John Coles, has resigned today.

This is from a very good source, although not officially confirmed. If anyone knows more....fill us in!

hi nick

the enforcement notice served on my neighbours has been withdrawn, as I predicted at the start. The Enforcement Notice on the bungalow on Thorpe Island has also been withdrawn.

im pleased to hear the folks can have a little peace again.

jill

• 1 year later...