Boat In Or Out?

Being very new to boat ownership I am after people’s thoughts and recommendations as to whether to take the boat out the water for the winter or leave it in. The boat was out the water for several months prior to me buying her and was antifouled then.

She has only been in the water a couple of months, but if best practice dictates taking her out I will. None of the jobs I have planned for her over the winter require this though.

Recommendations please?

24 minutes ago, PastorsDayOff said:

Being very new to boat ownership I am after people’s thoughts and recommendations as to whether to take the boat out the water for the winter or leave it in. The boat was out the water for several months prior to me buying her and was antifouled then.

She has only been in the water a couple of months, but if best practice dictates taking her out I will. None of the jobs I have planned for her over the winter require this though.

Recommendations please?

Hi Cliff,

Most of us take our boats out over the winter period to repack the stern glandes and check the running gear, antifoul we have done every other year or at least by the third year. It is good for glass fiber boats to dry out, it also reduced the boat weight. Wooden boats do not want to be out of the water for long periods because the planks dry out and chalking can be an issue.

I suggest that you leave it alone until the end of next years season.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

We tend to go for every other year out on a GRP job but mine is staying in an extra year because I want to winter cruise this year. My folks used to leave the Concrete Wonder(a Wind Boat) in for many years at a time until it needed a freshen up cosmetically or specific jobs needed doing as the concrete was pretty impervious to most things.

However it can be reassuring to know that your pride and joy is safely out of harms way when any really nasty weather comes calling. Each to their own n all that.

• Like 1

We. for many years always had the boat lifted and stored on hard standing between  November and March.  these days recognising it is in  fact warmer in the water  than out of it during very cold spells.we leave a  tube heater on a thermostat in   the engine bay. also  an oil filled radiator in the both the saloon and aft cabin, We have her lifted during the Summer and antifouled this  usually takes a couple of days maximum. We much prefer this way of doing things.  It means if we decide to use her during clement weather we can do so.

Carole

• Like 4

If you have shore power go for an electric dehumidifier on a timer for 6 hours during the day,  drained into a sink.  Just make sure the dehumidifier can restart from a timer,  not all can.

Currys do one in the essentials range for about a hundred pounds but I don't know if it restarts on a timer,  best to check. 

I have run heaters on plug in thermostats and a dehumidifier on a timer for the last 8 years with no problems at a cost of 50 to 60 pounds for the winter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1