Solo Hiring Possible Issues

Broads01

Then simply tie the stern rope first as you should be coming. In against the tide.  The tide itself should be enough to stop the bow drifting out but even so you will still have both ropes at hand.  Once the stern is tied off simply tie off the bow.

Hmmmm, I solo helm 'B.A' often.  I'd be wary of using the method you describe above and would always tie the bow off first, reason being as you correctly stated berthing into tide - BUT - there is a chance the tide will get between the bow and the bank and start pushing the bow off / away from the bank whilst one is busy tying off the stern.  Then you would be in the situation of playing tug of war against the tide and boat being swung out and if it got far enough out you would beyond the point of no return unless of course you have the strength of Garth / Popey or the Hulk!  Bow first for me every time berthing solo into tide

I have a boat booked this May and due to a relationship break down I’ll be asking the boat yard if they will honour the booking for one instead of two.  Your opinion on this would be very welcome ?

That's awful for you, you have my condolences and I do hope you get permission to solo helm, if not surely you have mates that would jump at the chance of a week afloat or even a forumite in here to assist / enjoy?

Griff

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Then simply tie the stern rope first as you should be coming. In against the tide.  The tide itself should be enough to stop the bow drifting out but even so you will still have both ropes at hand.  Once the stern is tied off simply tie off the bow.

Hmmmm, I solo helm 'B.A' often.  I'd be wary of using the method you describe above and would always tie the bow off first, reason being as you correctly stated berthing into tide - BUT - there is a chance the tide will get between the bow and the bank and start pushing the bow off / away from the bank whilst one is busy tying off the stern.  Then you would be in the situation of playing tug of war against the tide and boat being swung out and if it got far enough out you would beyond the point of no return unless of course you have the strength of Garth / Popey or the Hulk!  Bow first for me every time berthing solo into tide

I have a boat booked this May and due to a relationship break down I’ll be asking the boat yard if they will honour the booking for one instead of two.  Your opinion on this would be very welcome ?

That's awful for you, you have my condolences and I do hope you get permission to solo helm, if not surely you have mates that would jump at the chance of a week afloat or even a forumite in here to assist / enjoy?

Griff

Must say that's the way I would advise as well. 

• Like 3

for me, with a centre cleat, i take the bow rope, round the centre cleat and tie off, then attend to the stern, then with all the time in the world retie the bow line (or a second bow line if available - in which case I will probably leave the centre cleat tied on too) casting off in reverse order, centre cleat last- for preference having taken it round a post ad back to the boat before casting the other lines off, so I can be aboard when the last rope is cast off..

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

in the situation of playing tug of war against the tide and boat being swung out and if it got far enough out you would beyond the point of no return unless of course you have the strength of Garth / Popey or the Hulk!

Yes indeed. I was caught out like this at Reedham three years ago. Not desirable.

• Like 1

I got caught on the waiting pontoon at breydon bridge once when I stopped to check a tacho issue before heading out to sea, only took a slight mishap on timing to have the bow move out and the stern line jam to a point I had to cut the rope (the brand new sodding rope at that) to avoid taking hull damage, luckily only lost a metre off the end of the rope as cut the main bight first then the short section holding us in.

Lesson learned.... :default_blush:

• Like 1