Potter Heigham Bridge

Snowy

Eek! Definitely mind blowingly scarey!  Very wierd knitware (please Timbo tell me you haven't harboured anything of the sort!) and what's with the dead chicken?

I tell you youngsters, the seventies were definitely wierd.

Timbo...whatever archive did you drag this one up from?

Helen

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Double knit fancies...whatever next. I think I need to stop reminding people that I grew up in the 70s. :default_coat:

:default_biggrin:

Lucky you Wish I could get away with saying I grew up in the 70s I feel as if the wheel was invented only slightly before I was born!

Carole

• Haha 2

On 11/10/2017 at 14:44, charlesa said:

Hopefully this works, a video of taking Juliette 2 (not 8 as it says) through at 5ft 10" clearance. We did "touch" on the way through but only just !!

More evidence (if it were needed) that there's nothing wrong with the bridge - modern design is what's stopping 'em getting through :default_tongue:

On 11/10/2017 at 14:44, charlesa said:

Hopefully this works, a video of taking Juliette 2 (not 8 as it says) through at 5ft 10" clearance. We did "touch" on the way through but only just !!

More evidence (if it were needed) that there's nothing wrong with the bridge - modern design is what's stopping 'em getting through :default_tongue:

• Like 3

Hello Jeff,

the windscreen  dismantles into 3 pieces and was stored in one of the aft cabins.

The sides fold outwards and down so are well out of the way.

The canopy was folded right down into the cockpit.

The hand rails were at greatest risk but Geoffrey the pilot knows precisely what he is doing ( he's from the boatyard) !

Best wishes

Charles

• Like 3

Re dredging, probably a silly question, but wouldn't dredging only affect the depth of water and not the bridge clearance?  I understand that the rate of flow might be quicker after dredging (in both tidal directions) but the max and min heights would still be the same.  If boats were grounding on their way through, then I see how dredging would help.

I don't know about the effect of dredging on the clearance at PH bridge but what it would do is aid passage for some of the deeper keel yachts. I remember taking the 3 biggies America, Palace and Lapwing ( now owned by Martham Dev. as well) through Heigham Sound a few years ago and we only just made it with a full sail and engine to help as we were scraping along the bottom.

Best wishes

Charles

It's a shame you can't retro fit like they've just done on the River Aire in Leeds for flooding, Been down to walk the route now work barriers have gone. The 2 weirs have each been split into adjustable weirs. So if there's a flood due they just lower the weir and empty the river ready? Can't wait to see flooding lower down. Note - It was flowing well over the top of weir today (works well)

PH bridge - Slice the arch section, lift off & install it back on rams so it lifts a foot as required to let passage. Tech available these days it would still look the same lowered.

Oh, alright, I admit it! I've been experimenting in the backyard with a model river, bridge and a hosepipe. I hadn't started out to create a dredging experiment. I've been helping a neighbour correct the flow of his water feature from pond to pond. So armed with bags of clay, sand and gravel I got some very interesting results.

First let me say from the practical experience of running a fishery I can tell you that, contrary to guff published by the RSPB, dredging improves water quality and therefore the quality of fish stocks, vegetation and birdlife. Dredge your lake/broad and you don't get prymnesium blooms.

Now then, water flows. I've discovered that removing sediment on my test model improved water flow. Where I had a channel entering or leaving a pond, by digging a deeper channel or hole just before the exit I could slow water flow and reduce erosion of banks. If I backed the water up to simulate a flood tide, the hole once again slowed my water flow and I got nothing breaking over the bank. On my makeshift bridge, if I let silt build up by adding sand, the bridge clearance reduced. If I took sediment away before the bridge, no effect. Remove sediment after the bridge, no effect. Before and after the bridge, no effect. Remove sediment along the length of the channel between ponds...the clearance increased.

So based on my highly scientiffick experiment...they need to dredge from Hickling to Yarmouth. Mind that's what Gordon at Martham said too. :default_norty:

• Like 7