Breydon Water Closed To Hire Boats

Assumption... Private boaters have more knowledge/experience than skippers on hire craft.

Wrong. That is not a safe assumption. There are novices who have recently purchased their boats and there are hirers who have been hiring for years.

Objective.. The BA want to ensure the safest practices on boats.   ...No argument from me there.

Probability... the first statement is PROBABLY true in the majority of cases.

Yes, That's about right. The vast majority of hirers are relative novices, where the majority of private boat owners have significant levels of experience.

Weather poor on Breydon Water. Best reaction? Close water to hirers but let private boats continue through.

Yep, I cant argue with that. 

Logic and common sense wins the day!   ...Well done BA

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Assumption... Private boaters have more knowledge/experience than skippers on hire craft.

Wrong. That is not a safe assumption. There are novices who have recently purchased their boats and there are hirers who have been hiring for years.

Objective.. The BA want to ensure the safest practices on boats.   ...No argument from me there.

Yes, That's about right. The vast majority of hirers are relative novices, where the majority of private boat owners have significant levels of experience.

Weather poor on Breydon Water. Best reaction? Close water to hirers but let private boats continue through.

Well it would be well done BA if there's a fool proof way of way of letting hire boats know the situation without having to use the internet , its worth remembering that inclement weather also happens in the summer months and at times when when its still daylight and the tides are right , do BA patrol at that time of day ? Its not just hire craft you see on the mud iv seen plenty of private boats too in fact I'm not too proud to admit iv even been there myself when I ran out of talent and I certainly wouldn't class myself as a novice , assumption is not a good way of dealing with things as far as BA is concerned because like you rightly said we all know hire crews who can wipe the floor with a lot of private owners simply via experience .

Now stop laughing you lot to that fact iv been on the putty :default_beerchug: 

50 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Also consider that the 45 foot private boat could want to pass through Breydon in order to go to the sea.in a boat designed and certified to category B which is for winds up to force 8 and seas up to 4m, with a RYA qualified skipper.

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

I asked the question directly of the BA some time back about who makes the decision to close Breydon Water and got a response from Lucy Burchnall. They only close Breydon to all boats if there is an immediate hazard to vessels or persons, or an obstruction, other than that they may close it to hire boats if there is an adverse swell, poor visibility or strong wind. If they close it to hire boats then they also advise private boats to exercise extra caution.

The decision to close Breydon is made by the local rangers on the spot at the time, which would therefore imply that even if the Spirit of Breydon was in Thorpe, there were rangers on Breydon, There is normally two BA craft stationed at Goodchild. One of the old style lunches and S.O.B. I did ask what qualifications were held by anyone making the decision to close Breydon, but that part of the question wasn't answered. It does however mean that depending upon who is on patrol at the time, the decision to close Breydon may not be consistent as it is purely a judgement made by the team on the day.

When Breydon is closed there is normally a launch patrolling the top end of Breydon or moored on the NRA jetty and the staff at the yacht station look out for boats coming down the Bure.

It is worth pointing out that generally speaking the wind across Breydon tends to blow along the length of Breydon making for some interesting waves at times, but nothing too challenging for the average Broads boat. However I have been on Breydon at mid tide when it was quite full of water and there was a very strong cross wind directly onto the Portside of the boat. When full of water Breydon is also quite wide in places and the wind was picking up some decent waves that meant the swell was hitting the beam of the boat causing it to roll quite severely. Despite having a 12ft beam, it was still very uncomfortable and we countered it by effectively tacking across Breydon to ensure the swell was either hitting the bow, or the stern. (See mobo's can tack when needed) :default_icon_e_surprised: On that occasion we were just out for a play on Breydon and were not actually planning on crossing South to North, but was planning to head under the bridge do a turn and come back again. As we didn't need to be there and it was uncomfortable we turned back after about a third of the way across. The one and only time that I have been on Breydon and felt it wasn't worth continuing.

I have crossed Breydon many times,but always treat it with respect. Marina is very good at timing our crossing   working out tides etc.I do think it would help if there was better,easy to see information. Giving up to date advice. By all means carry on giving updates on the internet. After all many people  don't have access to the web.I think anything that is done to make crossing easier is a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Howard,

Needless to say we have not had a notification and there is nothing on the Broads Authority website but again it is the weekend  so other than the front line troops there is nobody working at the B.A. It might be an idea to contact the Broads Authority river control :-

If you want to contact the Broads rangers, you can phone Broads Control on 01603 756056 or VHF channel 12 or email Broads.control@broads-authority.gov.uk 

Regards

Alan

• Like 1