24hr Moorings To Become 48hr?

JennyMorgan

http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/winter-s-a-magic-time-for-boating-on-the-broads-1-5234353

An initiative for the Southern Rivers. Personally not convinced its a good idea. Too many moorings already get hogged for the weekend as it without even more folk mooring their floating weekend cottages up the duration.

• Like 4

I don't see a problem with the proposal because lets face it plenty of people already stay more than 24hrs in winter so this would allow those of us who prefer to keep to the rules the choice of a longer stop in one place

58 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Could this have any bearing on the comments by continuous cruisers in the report on residential boats before the current committee meeting.

Fred

Actually your right in a way one of those continuous cruisers ie ME did get invited by BA to take part in this survey back in Jan/Feb this year and yes I did suggest that , as did others , bramerton for example is virtually boat free even at weekend's as are many other Mooring's .

However my biggest point I made was the lack of water points in winter and I believe that's far more important that 48hr moorings , this whole editorial peace is about keeping tourism going in the winter months and why not its good for the whole infrastructure of the broads , but that said the system needs to work and the lack of water point's needs addressing first , quite why that 2 paragraph's about Mooring's have been picked up on when in reality it would make no difference at all due to the lack of traffic , and even if the hiring of boats in winter took off there would still be more than enough room .

Ricardo, I picked up on the 24hr to 48hr mooring because I see it as being an all year round proposal. Fact of life that many South Rivers 24hr moorings are being hogged at weekends. These moorings were originally provided for boats that are cruising, e.g. moving from one place to another. The floating weekend cottage syndrome is here to stay and gives great pleasure to many folk but the harsh reality is that that was never the purpose of the 24hr moorings and can be very frustrating for those actually cruising.

• Like 3

Ricardo

That was purely an observation as I think it is another publicity stunt about nothing,  you might find there are already more people looking for a winter boat than the yards are prepared to make available,  Richardson`s have a problem with the upper Ant freezing up and I am sure Barnes experimented with a few boats awhile back and decided it wasn't worthwhile with the interruption to their maintenance programme and extra staffing costs, apart from the lack of facilities in the winter with shops and pubs limited opening times, the North is very quiet from the end of October to the beginning of March so there is little point trying to encourage more people to go South.

Fred

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Ricardo, I picked up on the 24hr to 48hr mooring because I see it as being an all year round proposal. Fact of life that many South Rivers 24hr moorings are being hogged at weekends. These moorings were originally provided for boats that are cruising, e.g. moving from one place to another. The floating weekend cottage syndrome is here to stay and gives great pleasure to many folk but the harsh reality is that that was never the purpose of the 24hr moorings and can be very frustrating for those actually cruising.

It was my understanding that it was winter months only and as we know all the so called brundall navy are on the hard at that time of yr , hence I can't see a problem with it within the winter months only , the fact its 48hrs doesn't mean you have to sit there for that long and I don't believe most will , it does however give you flexibility if anyone chooses to do so .

The only problem I can see if it is that , is that the signage would need changing or as common sense would do it adding to ie below the existing signs .

If it was proposed to be all yr round then I'd obviously withdraw my support as that's just ridiculous to do that but its my understanding and I stated it quite clearly that it should be for the winter only as I would never purpose a doubling of the time limit all yr round .

Just now, rightsaidfred said:

Ricardo

That was purely an observation as I think it is another publicity stunt about nothing,  you might find there are already more people looking for a winter boat than the yards are prepared to make available,  Richardson`s have a problem with the upper Ant freezing up and I am sure Barnes experimented with a few boats awhile back and decided it wasn't worthwhile with the interruption to their maintenance programme and extra staffing costs, apart from the lack of facilities in the winter with shops and pubs limited opening times, the North is very quiet from the end of October to the beginning of March so there is little point trying to encourage more people to go South.

Fred

I think I'm right on this but don't the majority of northern yards specifically ban any passage through Yarmouth in the winter months ? After all the YS is closed a d technically no mooring is permitted and if the northern rivers are basically free of traffic then why couldn't it happen up there too , as for pubs etc the south has pubs open 11-11 all yr around the ferry at surlingham being one example , lots go on to winter hrs but they are still there presumably because it cost way too much money to close out of season .

Like I said the water situation needs addressing before an increase of boating traffic does .

Earlier this year I hired a boat (with Happy, another forum member) from Ely on the great Ouse, everywhere we went had plenty of moorings, all were free, all were very well maintained, all were either 48 or 72 hrs, it was quite novel not having to look for somewhere early afternoon.

15 minutes ago, littlesprite said:

Earlier this year I hired a boat (with Happy, another forum member) from Ely on the great Ouse, everywhere we went had plenty of moorings, all were free, all were very well maintained, all were either 48 or 72 hrs, it was quite novel not having to look for somewhere early afternoon.

Its exactly the same on certain Mooring's on the canal network , it kinda depends on the popularity of a mooring as to the time limit , as I said yiu don't and  most won't use the extra time but it offer's flexibility if you so req me I do around 8-900 hrs a yr so I'm moving often with the exception of a head gasket replacement this yr , but after informing BA then they were OK with that as it didn't take that long to resolve + i kept them informed if progress too .

7 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Ricardo

Yes you are generally right that's why any change is pointless, nothing is likely to make any real difference to the number of pleasure craft private or hire in the winter months, the only benefit of change is to those who want to sit on electric and there are plenty who already do that, 

Fred

As I keep on saying I'd much prefer an increase in the availability of water , why for instance does the YS at Norwich get all the hose's taken away , OK it reverts back to council ownership over winter but if I'm not mistaken the very same council were involved in this survey so why take away a facility that's so important its utter madness , that needs sorting before anything else .

One question.......what is a chocolate box village when its at home?

is this just a term used by yuppys for the benefit of tourists.......to make it sound better than it actually is? 

and 48hr moorings on the southern broads, will they ever stop medling?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I would like to see more moorings available in the south.Winter or summer.

I agree with Ian. South River is short of moorings. We could do with a lot more moorings like Hadley Cross, in the middle of no where. Those who have not moored at Hadley Cross, a great quite location :default_smiley-angelic002:.

Regards

Marina :default_stinky:

• Like 4

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
3 hours ago, SweetKingfisher1 said:

I agree with Ian. South River is short of moorings. We could do with a lot more moorings like Hadley Cross, in the middle of no where. Those who have not moored at Hadley Cross, a great quite location :default_smiley-angelic002:.

Regards

Marina :default_stinky:

Aaarh the solitude, the peacefulness, the remoteness. I had another boating thirst this week! This year I have moored at North Cove and done the walk to The Swan at Barnby and also again North Cove and the walk to The Three Horseshoes North Cove, but this week just gone I have done The Dutch Tea Gardens to The Wherry Oulton Broad which is a good walk, but going back to the boat and finding you are still the only boat on the mooring is just magical. Moved on the next day to The Locks Geldeston to again be the only boat for the night. Mid October, Indian Summer and two nights a mooring to myself. Look what they missed.

IMG_1838.JPG

IMG_1836.JPG

20 hours ago, KingfishersTime said:

Aaarh the solitude, the peacefulness, the remoteness. I had another boating thirst this week! This year I have moored at North Cove and done the walk to The Swan at Barnby and also again North Cove and the walk to The Three Horseshoes North Cove, but this week just gone I have done The Dutch Tea Gardens to The Wherry Oulton Broad which is a good walk, but going back to the boat and finding you are still the only boat on the mooring is just magical. Moved on the next day to The Locks Geldeston to again be the only boat for the night. Mid October, Indian Summer and two nights a mooring to myself. Look what they missed.

IMG_1838.JPG

IMG_1836.JPG

With photos like this, it just shows what a wonderful place the Norfolk Broads are. Even in the night time the sounds of nature and the lapping of the water on the boat make this a great place to be 24/7. But for one week only as the longer you are away, the heart grows fonder.

• Like 1

A few points. 

A) if your moored up for 48hrs water is the least of your worries. Power is. You must have a great boat if you can go that long with no shore power or your going to cheese a few people of running your engines all the time.  

B) why no hoses? Well probably to prevent. Problems with pipes freezing (not the hose pipes) but also h&s as water will sit in said hoses for a long time festering before some punter fills their tank. There will be less usage  

C) can we stop whinging about the brundall navy who are not all on the hard. I know loads who will be out over winter. From that I've heard maybe it's the woosey hire fleet who arent out?

D) I am always winterised because my wife cannot stand the cold. Now I could go out alone or with friends, but love is such that we still like to do things together. Maybe when I hate her this will change! Either that or Grace we need to meet:default_icon_bowdown:( don't let your hubby though)

and E) Don't encourage people to just moor up and stay put. They will just get used to it. 

And I just thought of F) why don't the BA just use a bit of common. If it's that quiet in the winter, stay in the Boat yard and save fuel. 

Simples:default_beerchug:

• Like 3

Unless your boat has cellotex and double glazing like Alan Herd fitted out on his narrow boat Dover, boating in winter can't be very enjoyable. Like Robin said in one of his Christmas video's, "it's bloody cold". He didn't sound like he would want to repeat the experience.

2 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

Unless your boat has cellotex and double glazing like Alan Herd fitted out on his narrow boat Dover, boating in winter can't be very enjoyable. Like Robin said in one of his Christmas video's, "it's bloody cold". He didn't sound like he would want to repeat the experience.

At least the beer is the right temperature!:default_beerchug:

problem is a hot toddy is more appropriate!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baitrunner said:

A few points. 

A) if your moored up for 48hrs water is the least of your worries. Power is. You must have a great boat if you can go that long with no shore power or your going to cheese a few people of running your engines all the time.  

B) why no hoses? Well probably to prevent. Problems with pipes freezing (not the hose pipes) but also h&s as water will sit in said hoses for a long time festering before some punter fills their tank. There will be less usage  

C) can we stop whinging about the brundall navy who are not all on the hard. I know loads who will be out over winter. From that I've heard maybe it's the woosey hire fleet who arent out?

D) I am always winterised because my wife cannot stand the cold. Now I could go out alone or with friends, but love is such that we still like to do things together. Maybe when I hate her this will change! Either that or Grace we need to meet:default_icon_bowdown:( don't let your hubby though)

and E) Don't encourage people to just moor up and stay put. They will just get used to it. 

And I just thought of F) why don't the BA just use a bit of common. If it's that quiet in the winter, stay in the Boat yard and save fuel. 

Simples:default_beerchug:

Fabulous thanks I have a great boat ie 6x domestic battery's , large alternator ,and battery management system , on a boat that's set up for living afloat and more than capable of sustaining standing alone without shore power for basically a week not a few days , as for the water hoses you will are far more likely to get disease in summer when water is heated In the hose , does make me wonder however as to how on earth that other navigation authorities such as CRT and EA  manage to be capable of supplying water to those that are afloat in the winter months  especially since Norfolk is mostly warmer than alot of other areas of the country , incidentally if anyone puts water in their boat tank without running of some first they deserve all they get its rule no 1 for heavens sake .

As for not encouraging people to stay put for 2 days well some don't need encouragement if bramerton is anything to go by .