20 players No 6  1/10d

pint of bitter 1/9d (usually rubbish Whitbread Trophy) Horrible stuff

loaf   1/9d

petrol  5/7d

First class stamp 5d

Average House £3620

average car  £950

Top league footballers Salary  £ 5200 (£100 a week) Oh how things change

Incredible. For the late sixties early seventies I reckon you can multiply by 20 at least for todays prices. That would still make beer 2 quid a pint though. perhaps beer has fared worst than most.

I stated work in 1971 in a fairly junior role, I seem to think I started on about 12 quid a week. It was just around decimalisation and I seem to recall beer being about 12p. Certainly (as FTM commented)I remember drinking under age in 1970 :default_norty: in the local Tetley pub and mild was 1 shilling and 8 pence and Bitter was 2 shillings. Spirits, I think, were more expensive about 2/6

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Incredible. For the late sixties early seventies I reckon you can multiply by 20 at least for todays prices. That would still make beer 2 quid a pint though. perhaps beer has fared worst than most.

I stated work in 1971 in a fairly junior role, I seem to think I started on about 12 quid a week. It was just around decimalisation and I seem to recall beer being about 12p. Certainly (as FTM commented)I remember drinking under age in 1970 :default_norty: in the local Tetley pub and mild was 1 shilling and 8 pence and Bitter was 2 shillings. Spirits, I think, were more expensive about 2/6

I started work as a apprentice electrician in 1968 the hourly rate was one shilling and three halfpence an hour, my first weeks wages for a full week (5 days) plus an hours overtime one night and a Saturday morning was a little over £5 with the stoppages.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1

In my first job, after tech college, I was clearing £12 a week, and I paid my mother £1. 10s for my upkeep. I have never had so much spending money ever again in my life! In those days you could go and see your friends in the Trowel and Hammer on a Friday night, buy a round of drinks and a packet of 10 Players for less than 10 bob.

When I started driving, a quid's worth of 4 star, for the weekend, was nearly three and a half gallons. That's about 15 litres!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

In my first job, after tech college, I was clearing £12 a week, and I paid my mother £1. 10s for my upkeep. I have never had so much spending money ever again in my life! In those days you could go and see your friends in the Trowel and Hammer on a Friday night, buy a round of drinks and a packet of 10 Players for less than 10 bob.

When I started driving, a quid's worth of 4 star, for the weekend, was nearly three and a half gallons. That's about 15 litres!

It is strange how often as we try to further ourselves we end up with less.  At 19yrs old having been at Landamores just six months I got my first Mortgage and bought a house, I rented my 2 spare rooms as well as worked full time, life was simple and I had few worries.  Now I have so much more in some ways but with it no money and little social life.  We people need to reassess our priorities i think.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MBA Marine said:

It is strange how often as we try to further ourselves we end up with less.  At 19yrs old having been at Landamores just six months I got my first Mortgage and bought a house, I rented my 2 spare rooms as well as worked full time, life was simple and I had few worries.  Now I have so much more in some ways but with it no money and little social life.  We people need to reassess our priorities i think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-41639836/buying-a-house-made-impossible-by-rental-costs

It depends on the location of course, but a cursory look online tells me £50k gives you 3k a month take home, average apartment to rent in cambridge around £1200, take off as much again for bills (household, car etc) and that leaves you with around £6 -800 a month which is being eroded by zero interest rate policy and property inflation.

Then another look online tells us at a privately owned 2 bed apartment in the same area to buy is between £250 - 300k so your savings of £8 - 10k a year wont even scratch the surface for a good few years and thats assuming property prices stop going up, so , its not much of a stretch to see why most feel more than a little pissed off seeing as no matter how hard we work and save it'll never be enough

• Like 4

After 18 years in HMFC I had only lived in married quarters. Even back in the 70's I just couldn't afford a mortgage deposit and then furnish a 4-bedroom house (with a wife and 3 children).

I had no option but to retire and commute half my pension in order to buy the house and completely furnish it (where I then lived  until 3 years ago).

Many others decided to buy when they were first married and then leave their wives and children there. While they were  shunted around the Empire at 3-yearly intervals.

• Like 2

We are lucky we have owned houses for nearly four years.Some years back thanks to a well known  bank that I used to work for who mucked up my pension,then gave me a large pay off.I paid off the mortgage,which was a large chunk of our money. Are we rich no but certainly better off now.When we were younger money was at 

Back to the menu.Nostalgia is not what it used to be.:default_winko:

Ian 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...