Menu From Early 1970’s

Snowy

The Rising Sun was a favourite for pub food in the late 1970's & early 80's. My dad could pay for a meal for four of us and drinks with a £10 note. The food was "...in a basket" but most of it was back then, and we were very grateful to be eating out. Highlight of the week was a "proper" dinner at the Waveney House Hotel, Beccles, where a silver service restaurant offered delights such as Duck a l'orange and Steak Diane, my dad didn't get away with £10 then...

• Like 2

From a professional perspective, food in the seventies was,often the beginning  of fast food McDonald's the first of which in Woolwich  London,pub food,yes scampi in the basket, steaks and so on or high end.I worked at the Savoy and the Berkeley hotel. Now there  is a far better choice from.Fast food ,food from all over the world .There is a far greater  range of food,much of which is affordable. Personally even though  I have cooked and eaten  the best of the best tasted the best wines in the world.I'm not that fussed I just want well cooked tasty food.

• Like 3

When we still  lived in  north London, one of our favorite  things  to do at the weekend if we weren't boating was to get up earlier than usual on a Sunday and drive  to the west end for breakfast at the Savoy. Superb, a long leisurely meal  beautifully cooked and presented eaten while overlooking the Thames followed by a stroll round Covent Garden. Perfect.

Csrole

• Love 1

Wow what a trip down memory lane. I started work in 64 as a trainee electronics engineer on 3 pounds 15 shillings (£3.75) week. When I started driving I remember a public outcry because petrol had just gone up to half a  crown a gallon (4 gallons for £1). I went to college with people doing an apprenticeship with a well known company and their rate was 2 pounds 10shillings (£2.50) per week. 

I just still love some 60s and 70s food that was served in the good restaurants.

My favourite is Tournedos Rossini with proper foie gras and black truffle and to start either a prawn cocktail or avocado and prawns using real North Atlantic Prawns hand peeled not some frozen things that have had their shells removed with high pressure hoses along with their flavour.

My father had an account in the name of his company at The Bell at Aston Clinton. A right dump now but back then one of the finest eating places in the UK. Judith and I had everything on the menu at so time or other but I always came back to the Tornedos.

This is a review of The Bell from the early 60's:-

Worth reading if you know the area now! 

Happy, Happy days.

20200611_130214.thumb.png.9f66d02fc54ca315f9a32eb23a319977.png

It was later on in the 60s that we would go there about the end of 65 onwards. I know because I took a young lady there about a week before I met Judith.

1 hour ago, chrisdobson45 said:

The Rising Sun was a favourite for pub food in the late 1970's & early 80's. My dad could pay for a meal for four of us and drinks with a £10 note. The food was "...in a basket" but most of it was back then, and we were very grateful to be eating out. Highlight of the week was a "proper" dinner at the Waveney House Hotel, Beccles, where a silver service restaurant offered delights such as Duck a l'orange and Steak Diane, my dad didn't get away with £10 then...

Oh, memories! There must be a landfill site somewhere just full of decomposed baskets  :5_smiley:

The start of our Broads holiday nearly always began with a stop off at The Plover in Thetford where my brother always had half a chicken in a basket.  Think the rest of had scampi in baskets. Happy days :)

• Like 2

I remember going to The Bell for Sunday lunch back in the 80's and on one occasion at the next table was a family, mum Dad and two children  a little girl of about 10 and a boy of about 12.they used to serve coffee and bring the bill to a little room away from the  dining room. The dad was duly brought his bill and the little boy looked over his shoulder to read  it and having done so and to the acute embarrassment of his father he gasped very loudly and  said "Crikey Dad can we afford to pay that?" What a shame it is no longer  there it was quite unique.

Carole

• Like 1

I have just spoken to my son who informs me that recently The Bell has been improved so I take back my comment regarding it's present status. And it is once again The Bell. The last time I was in there they called it The Duck and it was not to my liking.

1 hour ago, StillCruising said:

Wow what a trip down memory lane. I started work in 64 as a trainee electronics engineer on 3 pounds 15 shillings (£3.75) week. When I started driving I remember a public outcry because petrol had just gone up to half a  crown a gallon (4 gallons for £1). I went to college with people doing an apprenticeship with a well known company and their rate was 2 pounds 10shillings (£2.50) per week. 

? ....You was done..

1 gallon, 2 shillings and six pence,

2 gallons, 5 shillings

3 gallons, 7 and 6,

4 gallons, ten shillings

20 shillings, £1  is 8 gallons..

• Like 1

Over the years Katie and I have had many marvellous meals at various Broadland hostelries, and admittedly a few awful one too .

The good that come to mind are :-

The Barton Angler , their lamb shanks were to die for , fresh fish and chips where the fish was bigger than the plate .

The Salhouse Bell , used to serve food of a constant high quality and my idea of heaven smoked sprats and samphire .

sadly these are now no more (Bell is still trading , haven’t been there so cannot comment on present offerings)

The White Horse Upton , during Winkles time the ambience was unbeatable and the food good but nothing exceptional , last year Katie and I agreed that we had the best Sunday roast we have had out for years , we also ate there for an evening meal again very good quality and value .

The Maltsters Ranworth , very sociable and busy (pre-covid) not had a bad meal here and have had hundreds , often opt for their cheese board and selection of cold meats both of which are exceptional value and very good .

Surlingham Ferry , exceptional every time we have visited 

there are many others the above are just our favourites , and I’m a fussy bu***r who doesn’t like or eat chips so cannot comment on those venues that just serve chips with everything .

the nicest food however is when we pop into Ludham butchers and enjoy a hearty barbecue sitting by the river 

• Like 1

I can remember it less than 5 shillings 4 & eight springs to mind at the local garage (one of those old ones with parking in an underground basement, engineers shop at the back and a front apron with with concrete front canopy with old regent pumps and the Castrol oil cans on stands) it was attended service. 1971 when decimalisation came in One garage in Sheffield sold fuel at 29 pence per gallon.

My first memory of "posh nosh"  on the Broads goes back to 1974 when, before picking up the boat, my Mum treated myself and mate at that posh place in Brundall. Was it Lavendar House or something?? But my mate indulged in pidgeon breasts and a starter of muscles! I can't recall what I had.

45 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

My first memory of "posh nosh"  on the Broads goes back to 1974 when, before picking up the boat, my Mum treated myself and mate at that posh place in Brundall. Was it Lavendar House or something?? But my mate indulged in pidgeon breasts and a starter of muscles! I can't recall what I had.

It was Lavendar  House, recently turned into a Italian which due to lockdown hasn`t been able to fully open however it is doing what sounds like "Posh" homemade takeaway piza`s @ £10-15 each. Certainly some of the locals like it from what I`ve read.

It was only in recent years that it was called the Lavender House. It used to be called The Old timbers and back in the  day  I'm told it used to be popular with the various show business personalities  appearing for the Summer season in Gt. Yarmouth. In recent years The Lavender House closed and a somewhat indifferent Indian Restaurant opened. Which has now become an Italian it seems.

Carole

The person who advised me that it was called the Old barns has sent me a  pm saying they were mistaken and that it was called the old Beams after all. I don't suppose it matters really  after all  " a rose by any other name" etc.

Carole

1 hour ago, addicted said:

The person who advised me that it was called the Old barns has sent me a  pm saying they were mistaken and that it was called the old Beams after all. I don't suppose it matters really  after all  " a rose by any other name" etc.

No problem!

It's just that it was known, in its day, as one of the best small restaurants in the county, outside Norwich. A lovely little place for romantic, candle-lit assignations.

That's why I remember it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

It is called Old Beams in the local Archive, if this is the place?

20200612_144949.thumb.jpg.7949987952c42cf129db669d326a3c19.jpg

Bit confused by this . . . which admittedly doesn't take much, but I seem to remember the pub opposite the end of station road as the White Horse.

• Like 2