Spring Gathering May 2018 - Names here, please

Polly

Having been to several of these events this has to be the best. Not only was it actually hot and sunny but we had a really good turnout and it was nice to see how other members here, who may only know each other over the year as' usernames'  got the chance to meet in person and have a good time. We had cakes and a quizz, an R.N.L.I talk on safety and throw lines, a new Forum Idiot, 'Crew Indy' got their amazing plate hand crafted by our own Stuart. With music (some of it live later) through the sunlight and BBQ smoke sat on the grass it was just perfect.

It made me see what a great team the NBN has to help organise things, to muck in and help out both with putting up things like the Tent, to helping clear it all away the following morning and not leaving any rubbish. As a real community we should be proud of what loving the Broads and boating can bring together.

The Cruise in Company came together perfectly too, and these are great times where people on the shore or passing boats tooting their horns and waving can enjoy the spectacle of dressed boats cruising in a neat line down the river. 

Thanks for all who came and made it such a good event to be part of :14_relaxed:

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

I would like to get a few 'Thank You's in whilst still fresh in ones grey matter.

Thanks to Polly - main event organiser for a multitude of ideas that came to fruition.  Thanks to Mike for the quiz.  Team 'B.A' - we didn't come last and I actually answered two questions - Result.  I did chuckle as did a few others when Mike asked at the end of the quiz if anyone has scored 40 - Really?  Thanks to those that helped to erect the tents and gear - I missed out on helping as it was all in place by the time the C-in-C arrived. The RNLI information talk was good and easy to follow.  The cake donation worked very well, we even did drink tea / coffee with that one. The live music, the lights / sound provided by Robin.  The bottle auction - worked a treat and raised way more than a raffle, I think it was about £240 for the RNLI - Great result by all those that purchased way over the top prices for a good cause, some apprentice idiot paid £50 for a 75cl bottle of Captain Morgans rum - that'll go nicely with the coffee onboard.  That Plate from our very own Wildfuzz - Huge thankyou it is most impressive with craftsman workmanship employed  - Wow, have you seen the size of the thing?  Even onboard Indy, it'll take some where large to display it but we think we already have the answer on that one.  Most humbling Robins plate acceptance speech with the offer for Myself and Howard to take Indy out as and when she is free - that was some generous offer and neither of us saw that one coming, quite left us somewhat gobsmacked but very grateful all the same.  We will need to give Robin plenty of notice when/if we do take her out so we can save up for the fuel needed to top her up!  Might make Surlingham Ferry pub and back though.  Thanks to Grendel for his display of model #1 on Sunday morning, the adjustments / tweaks worked very well with a huge improvement easily apparent since Beccles back in August.  Big thanks to all those that helped in any way small or large but the biggest thanks from me is to the members of the forum in general that turned up, made the effort, and generally just kinda got on so well, lots of smiling faces.  Personally great to catch up with a few old faces I have not seen for a while now and have a chat face to face again.  The C-in-C went without a hitch, the wx played ball too.  I think we ended up with about 11 craft rafted up on Malthouse Broad before the flotilla sailed, it was in impressive sight.

So thanks one and all for a great weekend afloat, this time the highlight was not the boats, not the rivers, not the wx, nope the highlight for me was the NBN Forumites coming together and having a great time.

BZ one and all

Griff

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Sadly had to cancel coming by boat ,but went over by car .Meets get better as time goes by ,chatting to Colin and Lou having a good catch up and recalling being at the first NBN Meet at Salhouse ,about a dozen people and pie and mash cooked on a camp stove under a gazebo on misty wet night ,but a good time was had as is usual at these get togethers .This one featured Sally and Bob playing and singing under cover with sound system and even lighting and all the organised events on the day.Amazing how a patch of grass is transformed and is home to all of this and is cleared and returned the following day.Well done to Polly and all helpers much appreciated by all.

• Like 4

This team effort was just that, a team. I’d thank every person who contributed to it without exception; in sort of chronological order...Dave, Paul, Brett, ‘Spike’,John, Phill, Charlie, Inge, Mike, Pat, Martin, Robin, Richard, Sally, Charlie, Howard, Simon, Jill, Simon ...all who made and donated cakes....bought bottles in the . Auction....... were. Excellent company .......apologies for omissions , you get the point about ‘team effort’? Well done NBN!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hello All

Bucket was counted this morning £81, so total raised was £341 plus £40 spent on shop merchendise. A big thanks to everyone that contributed as this was not about raising funds but helping you keep safe so to raise this amount as well is fantastic.

Thanks Again

Bob

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

We really enjoyed the meet. It was good to catch up with old friends and make a few new ones. Thanks to Polly and all who helped with organizing the event, to Mike for the quiz and Robin for sparing me the task of lugging my large, heavy and very noisy generator up from Kent. The music was a treat and the weather behaved itself too. We had intended to stay the night, but by 8.45pm I was chilled to the bone and needed to get the heating on. I didn't think that those moored next to us would have appreciated this, so we decided to make a run for our "home" mooring, which we reached at around 9.15pm. Thanks again to all concerned!

• Like 4

I'm all for the idea of the Island kind of pre-party get together followed by a ginormous CinC, those with doggies will love the idea. The poop is bad but not insurmountable especially if the weather has been kind and its solidified a bit. The presence of woofters will also inhibit some of the the more outrageous Goose and Duck behavior too. Nice common barbeque area again would be good too. Sounds like a plan to me Polly. The sun sets beautifully on the island so if its sunny it will be super. We could also do silly games (ala Primary school sports day) in the evening rather than a quiz which we can keep for Saturday, I would just supervise not participate as Fiona would kill me if I broke anything else. Or we could just play cricket (not footy its too violent to play whilst tipsy)

White Rose Vs the rest ....LOL

Oh and NULL POINTS for hitting it into the water.

This has been my third spring meet in the short time since I joined the forum.

This year was excellent, it gave the chance to catch up with existing friends and meet new ones. The C in C was an added interest and looked great as all the boats arrived and moored up.

I feel we should bear in mind however, that there are many hundreds of members of this forum who do not own boats, let alone classic ones, but who contrive to attend the meets in whatever way they can - in hired boats, borrowed boats, by car and on one notable occasion, in a tent! The main thing is to meet other forum members and enjoy each other's company.

There is already a classic wooden boat show in Beccles every year but I just wonder whether accentuating the "classic" aspect might deter the "rank and file" forum member from feeling welcome at our meets in future?

Chastise me for this opinion if you wish!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We came by car to the first one at Salhouse, then back to a holiday cottage in Suffolk. Before that we went to a Beccles meet by car, and was kindly hosted by John on Friday girl. We drove up from Dorset each time.

I do understand your concern Vaughn, but it would`nt put me off, but i can only speek for us, though i do think people should definitely NOT be put off because a lot of classic boats attend. We`re all boating enthusiasts, so should turn up in whatever boat we have or hired, or even by car.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

We`re all boating enthusiasts, so should turn up in whatever boat we have or hired, or even by car.

And that is the very part of us.

And I hope that this forum will always be recognised as such.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Debs and I really enjoyed the meet albeit our neighbours were a bad influence :default_hiding:

We loved seeing all the woodies knowing we wouldn't have either the money or the skills needed to keep one in good condition but we also felt that we would be welcome however we arrived. Indeed we were considering hiring something for the summer meet and I said to Debs it needn't be anything flash, just somewhere to sleep for three or four nights.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteveDuk said:

Debs and I really enjoyed the meet albeit our neighbours were a bad influence :default_hiding:

You were more of an influence than you know, Steve! I had found a good TV picture to watch the wedding, but when you drew away at 1230 you took the picture with you. We must have been using Ranworth Breeze as an auxiliary aerial!

Luckily the day was saved by a very technical gentlemen who was a guest on board at the time and we watched the rest of it on his i phone!

• Like 2

I watched it on iPhone too. 

Re. Vaughan's concern, the reason for keeping the meet at Salhouse is that it's accessible for members not afloat to walk in. As for boats, well we were 'in hire' this year, and indeed last. I don't think it makes any difference to the event, it's all about the people.

Next year is May 17,18,19 BTW more info later! 

• Thanks 2

Yep, Salhouse it has to be. When you rule out 24hr moorings as we would have to overstay, and Ranworth Island as inaccessible by anything other than boat, there are only a few options available, of which Salhouse is by far the best.

The next problem to be addressed is that the meets are growing, and as a meet, we want to turn nobody away is what to do when demand exceeds moorings. I can only think of two options.

1. Encourage mid water rafting and tenders, or

2. Moor some craft nose to nose with some stern on moorers.

Any other suggestions ?

• Thanks 1