Out And About In October

21st October

An unusually late start for our standards, setting off from Derbyshire at around 0715 on a fine october morning. Within an hour i was regretting the late start as we hit traffic normally avoided when we set off at 6, nevertheless my mood wouldn't be broken, as we were on our way to Brundall once again.

As the first parts of the cars auxiliary drive belt were (unknown to me at the time) tearing apart we were pulling into Tesco, 10 minutes from the boatyard in order to aquire enough food and drink to ensure we would be well stocked up not only for the week on the boat, but by the look of the overloaded trolley struggling to contain its burden, for when we returned home too.

Heading to the boatyard it was approaching dinnertime so leaving the car in the yard we headed for The Yare for a bite to eat and the obligatory holiday beverage.

Kids being kids opted for pizzas and burgers whilst those of a more refined taste ate chips in a basket. :default_biggrin:

Tummies filled we unloaded the car onto the boat, set up home, and headed off (I know, I know I finally got to the boating bit).

As always we had no particular plan other than this week we was staying on the south so headed in the Yarmouth direction of the Yare. I do actually lie, as we had pre-booked a mooring at the Waveney River Centre for the Saturday  night, but with the river so quiet (my theory is the strong wind and tides from the storms was keeping many moored in their boatyards for the weekend) we enjoyed cruising steadily down the Yare and coupled with our later than normal start finding Reedham almost empty was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Passing through Reedham swing bridge in order to turn around and return back to the moorings we tied up and spoke with the ranger who filled us in with the local topography incase we weren't aware of the area.

Heading into The Lord Nelson we found it to be filled up so walked to The Ship which was almost empty, until a wedding (?) party turned up later in the evening. After drinks we headed off for a quick walk back to the boat before eating tea, chilling and bed.

Apologies for doing these in desperate posts but I witter on and end up needing a rest :default_blush:

22nd October

After a good night's sleep I showered, shaved and took the dog for her morning exercise around Reedham, stopping off at the little shop to gather a couple of forgotten items.

Over a light breakfast and the obligatory morning coffee, our friendly ranger came knocking asking for our plans for the day. We informed him we never really have any plans but was probably heading along towards the Waveney or Beccles. He informed us due to the weather Breydon was shut to hire craft for the foreseeable time, we informed him we had no intention of crossing this week either and he left us to meander our merry way through Reedham bearing left towards the Berney Arms, at the junction of Breydon Water BA were patrolling but gave us a wave before we turned right heading back towards St Olaves. 

The river was quiet, the wind was blowing and the water was choppy, I seem to remember seeing one boat between The Berney Arms and St Olaves and that was safely moored up.

Approaching St Olaves bridge I was aware the water level was high and thought we had best lower the roof down. It wasn't predicted high water level at the time but I thought it may be a little close for comfort for an 8 foot boat, my decision was justified when approaching the height board it showed 7'2, that took me by surprise. The 4 inch clearance lowering the roof had given me was a blessed relief despite the fine rain shower deciding now was a great time to start. Better than a wedged and damaged boat and bridge though by a long way.

As we passed Somerlayton we noticed only one other boat moored up and the temptation of one of my favourite moorings and the addition of electric hook up was too good an opportunity to pass up. And when there is still credit on the post, well what can you do.

We headed off for the circular walk up past the school before returning via slugs lane (?) to The Dukes Head where we unexpectedly stayed until early evening. Returning to the boat for an evening of games.

23rd October

A fine morning greeted us on Monday, with our only neighbour appearing and then heading off we was left all alone on the moorings.

Dog walked we had breakfast sandwiches with the roof down enjoying the lovely October day.

There was already much more 'traffic' as boats passed us in both directions many giving a cheerful wave  as they made their way along the river.

After I had showered I have the boat a clean whilst everyone else got themselves ready and then we headed off towards the Waveney River Centre.

We arrived around 1130, moored up at one of the moorings with electric incase we decided we wanted to stay and headed off to walk around the grounds.

As those who have read my tales will expect, yes we headed into the inn and I enjoyed a ghost ship whilst everyone had a diet coke. We had a peek in to see how busy the pool was but decided to head off again instead.

We had a light dinner before we set off during which the Waveney Stardust appeared and moored up. 

Over dinner we had made the decision to go to Oulton Broad for the night and head into Lowestoft for the afternoon.

The yacht station was busy on the electric moorings but we squeezed into the last one. Once paid we checked the online timetables and found the bus outside Oulton Broad North train station was due so off we went. As we approached the bus stop we were greeted with the delightful back end of the bus as it distanced itself from us on its way down the road. Bugger.

Another quick check of the transport options told us we had 40 minutes to walk to the South train station and sit and wait. So we did. We also sat waiting for the extra 10 minutes it was delayed. 

Nevertheless the 30 second (so it seemed) journey was pleasant and when we exited the train we walked down to the South pier and watched people having fun on the beach.

After our walk around we bought the kids some doughnuts (my god they were lovely) and headed back to the train station. We sat waiting for our train (yes it was delayed again) and when it arrived we boarded heading this time to the North station.

A few drinks in the Lady Of The Lake and we headed back to the boat for chilli and rice and games of uno and labyrinth (try it it's pretty good).

A final dog walk and then off to bed.

24th October

The rest of the family were off for breakfast in the Wherry Hotel so still being full from the previous evenings mammoth meal I busied myself filling with water, sorting the dog and tidying the boat.

When everyone returned we set off for a slow cruise to Beccles. The waterways were quiet and the sun was out with a slight breeze.

Right, at the yacht station, I admit indecision completely got the better of me. There were plenty of moorings left but the bow of a lot of the boats were drifting to close up with the boat to the side, we went to the far end of the moorings near the harbourmasters office where it looked like there was an empty spot. 

Unfortunately there was a small boat there hidden by a larger craft. I went astern to return back to the mooring spots nearer the entrance but with the drifting bows opted to return to the main rivers side on mooring I had spotted.

Reserved. Bugger.

Turn the boat around to head back into the marina and moor up stern on in the spot I originally passed in favour of the far spot.

I must have looked a right idiot, but honestly, I did have a plan, there really was method to my madness :default_biggrin:

Loads and loads of traipsing round shops followed :facepalm:before I finally got a beer on the boat and more games for the kiďs.

We spotted Ranworth Breeze (not Alan I believe), Thunder and Lightning but didnt see the owners to say hi.

I am sure that I have been equally indecisive as to which mooring spot to go for. Given that I'm always at the helm while hubby takes the ropes then ultimately it is my decision ... but I have been known to change my mind ... or let the wind blow me round to face the other direction thereby coming in with the opposite side against the bank than originally intended. :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Sadly we were not aboard, one of our lucky owners has been on Ranworth Breeze for two weeks.

Most of the owners are a friendly bunch and not many bite:default_norty:

Regards

Alan

I'm interested to hear which owners you don't feel are friendly Alan :default_biggrin:

25th October

Another beautiful October morning which once the dog was walked, we were all fed and water refilled began with a steady cruise back up the Waveney.

Whilst still quiet it was much busier than earlier in the week and an increasing number of northern boats having crossed Breydon.

The Waveney Centre was almost empty but we pushed on heading for a dinnertime stop back at Somerlayton. A pit stop back in the Dukes Head after walking the dog and then off we set again.

Through the New Cut and Reedham (full) although the Reedham Ferry was deserted before turning left down the Chet.

On our way down we passed Silver Cloud and exchanged greetings as well as a couple of hirers, and reaching the staithe found it to be full, so after turning around moored at Pyes Mill.

We had a walk down into Loddon for the evening having a great night finished with a Chinese takeaway :default_smile:

26th October

With the OH having to catch a train home for work that afternoon we made a slow return back to Brundall, the lovely weather again dampening the sadness of another week drawing to an end.

We headed back into the Yare pub for dinner before waving her off. The rest of the day was spent cleaning up the boat and packing ready for returning home the next morning.

20171025_111553.jpg