Dockless Bikes In Norwich!

I know Joe the UK boss and as this is a disruptive technology i think they are quite nervous about early government intervention as there is little legislation for these types of schemes at the moment. There will be no outer limit on where the bikes can be taken. However app users are disincentivised by a points system. The green boundary (attached) is the outer limit for the points system. 

Screenshot_20171101-074643.png

• 2 weeks later...

Amsterdam's hire bikes are relatively unsuccessful due to high private bike ownership. They have many hire shops that hire bikes for tourists. I think it's great that you get piles of un locked private bikes at station during the day and come evening they they are all gone and the systems mostly just works. It's similar in Copenhagen.

• 7 months later...

To revive an old thread.......That didn't last long.... what with the Withdrawal of Urbo from London and the notable absence of MoBikes at Manchester's cycle city conference a couple of weeks ago I wonder if the UK is not ready dockless bikes?! 

Bike sharing firm ofo quits Norwich - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-44780649

It's funny how ideas like the "white bikes" (or 'free bikes') which work well in Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Vienna and other European cities. When imported into the U.K. always seem to fail and are quickly abandoned, I guess it's the British psyche of 'I want one of my own, not one I have to share'... :35_thinking:

15 minutes ago, Simondo said:

I agree the UK seems to have a more hostile booze culture that likes these mindless acts of vandalism or violance!

As I look from my office window I can see two of these yellow bikes, both vandalised, one hung in a tree and the other strewn across the footpath. It seems Sheffield is not ready for this type of scheme.

A much better scheme is used in Lincoln where the bikes have to be returned to a docking station or the user continues to be charged for the hire. Much more sensible.

Probably out on a limb here but bicycles and cities are a nightmare to me. They ignore every rule of the road, including pedestrian lights and plague pedestrianised areas  and don't start me with those on a  Deliveroo mission! :default_icon_redface:

Fred

48 minutes ago, trambo said:

Probably out on a limb here but bicycles and cities are a nightmare to me. They ignore every rule of the road, including pedestrian lights and plague pedestrianised areas  and don't start me with those on a  Deliveroo mission! :default_icon_redface:

Fred

Yes it's the self driving bicycles that are the real menace though! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Londonlad1985 said:

Yes it's the self driving bicycles that are the real menace though! 

An absolutely brilliant idea, even a complete fool could ride one.