Yachting Pics – 1949 - 1950

NorfolkNog

After invading Neil’s thread a while ago to post a couple of yacht photos (Mayfly we think – thanks Ian) I had a word with my Dad to see if he had any more. He has very kindly dug out some more and my sister has very kindly been scanning them for me.

Thought they might be of interest – this was definitely pre Webastos, calorifiers and inverters! The first few are a holiday aboard Golden Emblem (Ernest Collins perhaps judging by the Emblem tag?) These were taken in 1949 and according to my sister it was the holiday when my Dad proposed to my mother – apparently he went into the Maltsters for a drop of Dutch courage before he proposed! My Mum of course said yes and the rest, as they say, is history.

:Sailing

post-131-136713670404_thumb.jpg

post-131-13671367042_thumb.jpg

post-131-136713670438_thumb.jpg

Looks a bit like the Herbert Woods logo on the sail but this is Summer Breeze

Summer Breeze was hired by the Southgates yard at Horning ... which happened to be owned by Herbert Woods at this time - hence the Woods star on the sail! He had also bought Applegates yard at Potter Heigham but ran both yards under their original names .... with Applegates it was said that he did so because he knew that some people preferred to hire from "smaller" yards!

What fabulous photos Howard ... many thanks to you and your family for sharing them with us cheersbar

Any more??? :grin:

Carol

Hi,

Looking at the pictures you can see how things have changed with just a few powered cruisers in the pictures and there looks like very few trees near the banks.

Some of the sailing shots could be taken today, and I suspect some of the yachts are still about on the rivers. I have looked up Golden Emblem in the 1950 brochure and she was for hire at £16 to £19 10s a week, today that could be a round of drinks in a pub.

Later I will try to copy some of the brochure pages and post them on here.

Thanks again for the pictures

Ian :Sailing

Thanks Perry, almost got me reaching for the NBYC brochure ;)

I think hiring from Colin Buttifant (Swallowtail Boatyard) is a better, no brochure just word of mouth. When you take the yacht out you will realise why.

can't waste valuable drinking time ;

That is what the engine of outboard is for :naughty:

Ian :Sailing (with outboard)

• 3 weeks later...