Wot No Christmas ?

Snowy

This comes up every year. It's Christmas .Simple no one will stop us celebrating it.We can also celebrite other festivals .Christmas is Christmas simple.Not happy holidays or any other silly thing.I have worked with many faiths over the years and none have had a problem with Christmas. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Davydine said:

This really is silly. This is a predominantly christian country and as such we celebrate Christmas why on earth do they think "Christmas" would cause offence? 

I've really tried to respond to this question, and after many hours have given up as my response would have offended some as a best case scenario, worst case would have got me banned from the forum. 

35 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

I've really tried to respond to this question, and after many hours have given up as my response would have offended some as a best case scenario, worst case would have got me banned from the forum. 

Why?

This isn't a religious debate, it's a story about a Chocolate company that, with a little research is clearly not true.

i fell for it initially but having checked, I am convinced that there is no story here, just. Someone somewhere trying to stir up division

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Davydine said:

Why?

This isn't a religious debate, it's a story about a Chocolate company that, with a little research is clearly not true.

i fell for it initially but having checked, I am convinced that there is no story here, just. Someone somewhere trying to stir up division

Must be just the "export wrapper" for non english speaking territories then.

11 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

When did it cease being named "Cadbury's Dairy Milk" ?

Image result for stop being cadbury's dairy milk

Here is a link to the current Cadbury Dairy Milk products.

I can take or leave chocolate but to me this is the best! Creme Eggs is another story altogether.

https://www.cadburygiftsdirect.co.uk/our-product-range/shop-by-brands/dairy-milk.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyP-m5o-i1wIVCuMbCh3okQ8tEAAYASAAEgKSbvD_BwE

Regards

Alan

6 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

Must be just the "export wrapper" for non english speaking territories then.

Nope, the current UK range and to be honest, apart from the word "Christmas" the packaging looks pretty Festive to me. I am not really sure the point you are trying to make.

As an aside, christmas packaging is a nightmare for companies like Cadburys. On the 26th December no one wants to buy it and it has to be sold off cheap even though there is plenty of shelf life.

Just now, smellyloo said:

Call me an old cynic (you're an old b******d cynic) but wasn't Christmas hijacked by the "worship of consumerism" many years ago?

Modern kids just wouldn't get the same buzz from finding monkey nuts stuffed in their yuletide stocking.

That is the sad reality.

Exactly how Father Christmas put all the presents under the tree did a become a little harder to explain when they started to build houses without open fires and chimneys though.

Just now, Davydine said:

Nope, the current UK range and to be honest, apart from the word "Christmas" the packaging looks pretty Festive to me. I am not really sure the point you are trying to make.

As an aside, christmas packaging is a nightmare for companies like Cadburys. On the 26th December no one wants to buy it and it has to be sold off cheap even though there is plenty of shelf life.

My point is that in days gone by we could all use the word "Christmas" and celebrate "Christmas" freely without any fear of causing offence to anyone.  The subject would not even merit a discussion.

I'm not sure how a wrapper showing Father Christmas, a sleigh and christmas trees  is any less seasonal after Dec 26 without the word "Christmas".  

17 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

Call me an old cynic (you're an old b******d cynic) but wasn't Christmas hijacked by the "worship of consumerism" many years ago?

Modern kids just wouldn't get the same buzz from finding monkey nuts stuffed in their yuletide stocking.

Sod the kids, I know what I want in yuletide stockings and it aint monkey nuts

:default_xmas2:

8 minutes ago, Davydine said:

My point is that in days gone by we could all use the word "Christmas" and celebrate "Christmas" freely without any fear of causing offence to anyone.  The subject would not even merit a discussion.

I'm not sure how a wrapper showing Father Christmas, a sleigh and christmas trees  is any less seasonal after Dec 26 without the word "Christmas".  

Just now, Jayfire said:

Sod the kids, I know what I want in yuletide stockings and it aint monkey nuts

:default_xmas2:

Never got a Spice Girl in any of my stockings Christmas morning..

When “we” invaded England from Northern Europe a while ago I’m not sure the local residents would have agreed as we displaced them into Wales and Cornwall
Joke very much intended. Offence causing definitely not intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

I agree, but in truth, I think we still can use "Christmas " and celebrate "Christmas" I know lots of people who are not Christian but happily celebrate Christmas. I honestly believe that there are some people who would like us to believe that we are causing offense in order to create divisions. I have never met anyone of any religion who is offended by us celebrating Christmas.

to answer the second part, it doesn't make it less seasonal, I was just trying to point out that any seasonal packaging can be a minefield

• Like 3

Just now, Davydine said:

I agree, but in truth, I think we still can use "Christmas " and celebrate "Christmas" I know lots of people who are not Christian but happily celebrate Christmas. I honestly believe that there are some people who would like us to believe that we are causing offense in order to create divisions. I have never met anyone of any religion who is offended by us celebrating Christmas.

to answer the second part, it doesn't make it less seasonal, I was just trying to point out that any seasonal packaging can be a minefield

Just a quick thanks to you and the other guys that replied to my postings on this subject this morning, It has been a couple of hours of enjoyable banter. Sadly I have other more mundane activities that require my attention now, so signing out.

Phil 

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
14 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

My wife and I went to Norwich the other day, every car park was full and the roads stuffed so we turned round, headed to Sonia's at Surlingham for lunch and the an hour or so at Highway Nurseries (Roys) on the way home. We'll go by train next time!

Train! Train! What's wrong with the boat? Nice empty moorings, you can still stop at Sonia's, but for longer as you don't have to drive, and you can turn it into a long weekend event. :default_beerchug: