Brilliant

Polly

I thought it would be good to do an update on Brilliant

its great that Brilliant has completed her first stage of restoration, being now re ribbed, Doug will be able to address the next stages over the coming months.

This operation was never about rushing to get her back afloat, although she is really missed, it's about rightly stewarding our bit of Broads History.  Therefore, yes, Griff is right that she won't be at Salhouse in May, but that was never more than a 'warm weather this winter possibility', and it hasn't been! 

As I understand it, planking comes next, evening out a distribution of seams with lots of lovely larch :default_blink: then there is a repair at the stern end of the hog, on to caulking etc and then Whelptons take on the painting. 

I plan to strip and revarnish cockpit lockers and cabin sides. 

Doug will put me right I hope on the above.

• Like 2

• grendel changed the title to Brilliant
  • 3 weeks later...

Polly - Deja vu!

A really interesting thread. Given that Brilliant is Kenmure's closest living relative it is fascinating but probably not surprising that we are going through very similar restorations. I've just been preparing the text for the next couple of posts on the Kenmure restoration and I think you'll find a lot of it very familiar!

It would be great to get together once we're both back in the water - perhaps together with any other Press brothers yachts?

Briliant is tucked up in the dry and out of the wind. She has a nice new set of port side ribs in oak and next, Doug is going for the port side planking in larch, restoring much of her original oak and larch structure. Next will come the starboard side ribs and more planking. Once this is all settled there is a hole in the hog to repair, which will necessitate dropping the keel to access the planks. Next it's caulk and fill, then over to the boatyard for painting. 

As Doug said, we could have patched her up for several more seasons, but this way she will be right, and as a bit of Broads History, I think it's what ought to happen.

We spent this afternoon removing locker tops, bunk sides and doors to take home for stripping and varnishing so the car is pretty full. 

Sorry, I forgot to take pics but Doug has some I believe.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Stop messing about with Larch and Oak - it seems the thing now is to use plastic ribs.. :2_grimacing:

I recon there will be some split tea in Yorkshire when Griff see that , watch out for the Tupperware remarks :15_yum:

34 minutes ago, Polly said:

Wash your keyboard out with soap and water JM, it's not like you don't care for Press cruiser even older than Brilliant! 

:default_biggrin:

Due to a change in circumstances, e.g. another grandson, and promotion within the Disney empire for the son in law, means that she's regretfully for sale. The days of the three of us being able to spend excellent weekends scraping, sanding and wielding a maul and an adze are regretfully over. We've had an excellent twelve years with her. She's in far better condition than when we acquired her, we've had some wonderful times aboard her. She's 110 this year and needs someone to carry on the good work. For the sake of her annual, cosmetic repaint and a new bob stay eye she's ready to go back in and be enjoyed.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Due to a change in circumstances, e.g. another grandson, and promotion within the Disney empire for the son in law, means that she's regretfully for sale. The days of the three of us being able to spend excellent weekends scraping, sanding and wielding a maul and an adze are regretfully over. We've had an excellent twelve years with her. She's in far better condition than when we acquired her, we've had some wonderful times aboard her. She's 110 this year and needs someone to carry on the good work. For the sake of her annual, cosmetic repaint and a new bob stay eye she's ready to go back in and be enjoyed.

JM that's good and sad news all in one post.

To the increase in family. I raise a glass.

To the loss of your beloved boat, I shed a tear for you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Polly said:

Plastic indeed, next thing they will be moulding hulls in GRP! Er....hang on a minute.....?

I recall Del Boy selling jackets "These are not imitation leather, they are genuine vinyl"

7 hours ago, Philosophical said:

I recall Del Boy selling jackets "These are not imitation leather, they are genuine vinyl"

Another incident from the classic Only Fools and Horses comes to mind when working on wooden boats - "Trigger's broom" . Have a look at the clip and you will see exactly what I mean. Incidentally, it is taken from the so called Philosopher's Axe analogy which goes something like this:  If you have an axe and, over a period of time, replace the handle and the head, is it the same axe? This, how much of an old wooden boat do you replace before it becomes a different boat? 

Of course there is an answer to this which was provided by Aristotle, rather than Socrates. :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh dear - what have I said now :34_rolling_eyes:.

On reflection though, Socrates is probably referring  to the four causes from Aristotle's Physics Book 2 section 3 :

5ac494bf172b7_NBNAristotlesfourcauses.jpg.0876581055b68d87655d26488ef5a776.jpg

This suggests that if the design, methods and skills, and purpose remains the same, it is still the same object even if you change the wood - I'm going to say that I have complete belief in this :45_persevere::63_astonished: for the following reason: I have the utmost admiration for Polly and her tenacity in sourcing good quality larch for the work on Brilliant. I have to come clean that (mainly because of the difficulty in finding quality larch)  Kenmure's new planking is mahogany :51_scream:.

Oops - have I just made a confession to defend the real Aristotle when Socrates was actually referring to something that I said :42_confused:?

• Like 2