Brilliant

Polly

1 hour ago, grendel said:

for really tight areas consider using a stanley knife blade as a scraper, the trouble is you would really want a square end not a point, maybe a broken blade?

An old single sided razor blade? They had a nice stiff back. Can you still get them? I have a beard so do not do a lot of shaving!

I have a razor scraper as well as an ordinary one. Yes Timbo,  I have both random orbital and mouse sanders ready to use next, but I LIKE my heat gun, it is very satisfying peeling off melted varnish, and it smells nice! 

I really do not like Nitromorse.

• Like 1

Sanding the first layers now. I will have done all the interior doors by this evening. My idea is to do everything I have here  once then go back over it all with the next grades and the next.

I like the Makita Random Orbital a lot; it is much better  than our other sanders. Its less of a shake-up for a start, that means longer to work before you need to break off.

I maybe need a better mouse sander; any suggestions?

10 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Surely you must mean that new trendy word "patina"?. :default_icon_e_biggrin:

With some of these wrecks that we find on the broads, I'm surprised the owners haven't used that same word as an excuse as to why they haven't done any repairs!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

With some of these wrecks that we find on the broads, I'm surprised the owners haven't used that same word as an excuse as to why they haven't done any repairs!

In view of the gentle nature of this thread and its subject, I think you either need to explain that remark in greater detail, or withdraw it.

17 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

In view of the gentle nature of this thread and its subject, I think you either need to explain that remark in greater detail, or withdraw it.

I'm talking about some of the sunken wrecks or eyesores that you see on the broads.

Also can you fill me in about the gentle nature and it's subject you're talking about?

One of the most useful tools in these situations seems to have fallen out of fashion nowadays but for me you cannot beat a decent cabinet scraper. They can be awkward to sharpen until you get the hang of it but nothing gives such a good finish or prepares wood for refinishing more quickly. 

• Like 1