• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Polly

Brilliant

Put away those naughty chemicals and heat guns Pauline!
Random Orbital Sander
Mouse detail sander
Selection of sanding discs and pads
A sharp card scraper

for really tight areas consider using a stanley knife blade as a scraper, the trouble is you would really want a square end not a point, maybe a broken blade?

1 hour ago, grendel said:

for really tight areas consider using a stanley knife blade as a scraper, the trouble is you would really want a square end not a point, maybe a broken blade?

An old single sided razor blade? They had a nice stiff back. Can you still get them? I have a beard so do not do a lot of shaving!

I have a razor scraper as well as an ordinary one. Yes Timbo,  I have both random orbital and mouse sanders ready to use next, but I LIKE my heat gun, it is very satisfying peeling off melted varnish, and it smells nice! 

I really do not like Nitromorse.

• Like 1

Sanding the first layers now. I will have done all the interior doors by this evening. My idea is to do everything I have here  once then go back over it all with the next grades and the next.

I like the Makita Random Orbital a lot; it is much better  than our other sanders. Its less of a shake-up for a start, that means longer to work before you need to break off.

I maybe need a better mouse sander; any suggestions?

Use a ferret, bigger surface area, then apply varnish with a good sable brush, nothing easier than the rivulet finish, lovely!

Do hammerite do varnish? save a lot of hard work.

• Haha 1

Sadly Lynsey no longer has ferretsv, and they do bite.....

Must admit...I’ve got to the point where I’ve completely lost it on this thread. Must be fun if you know about woodies though!

Sorry Helen! I think the ferrets didn’t help! :default_biggrin:

Brilliant has been at a standstill awhile. I am just picking up the thread myself with sorting all the locker tops and doors I brought back here to do.

• Like 3

Nope I am doing it best because the champion of varnish will see it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/08/2019 at 09:15, MauriceMynah said:

Paint the new varnish straight over the old stuff and call it "part of her character" 

Surely you must mean that new trendy word "patina"?. :default_icon_e_biggrin:

10 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Surely you must mean that new trendy word "patina"?. :default_icon_e_biggrin:

With some of these wrecks that we find on the broads, I'm surprised the owners haven't used that same word as an excuse as to why they haven't done any repairs!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

With some of these wrecks that we find on the broads, I'm surprised the owners haven't used that same word as an excuse as to why they haven't done any repairs!

In view of the gentle nature of this thread and its subject, I think you either need to explain that remark in greater detail, or withdraw it.

17 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

In view of the gentle nature of this thread and its subject, I think you either need to explain that remark in greater detail, or withdraw it.

I'm talking about some of the sunken wrecks or eyesores that you see on the broads.

Also can you fill me in about the gentle nature and it's subject you're talking about?

I thought Vaughan ‘s comment was spot on. The remark seemed a tad out though of place on this particular thread, though would have been fine on a thread about abandoned boats.

Oh come on peeps, thread drift does that. I thought Cpt.Kevs post was a bloody good idea. I shall, in future refer to "Nyx and her wonderful green patina".

• Haha 2

On 09/08/2019 at 21:43, Polly said:

Cabin doors before and after first sanding.

34A0D69F-BA26-439D-BE17-512C8A8DED91.jpeg

Surely you'll be taking that escutcheon plate off first ? :default_shocked1animated:

One of the most useful tools in these situations seems to have fallen out of fashion nowadays but for me you cannot beat a decent cabinet scraper. They can be awkward to sharpen until you get the hang of it but nothing gives such a good finish or prepares wood for refinishing more quickly. 

• Like 1

Paul, a piece of glass is good and easily replaced when it becomes blunt! 

• Like 1

On 04/08/2019 at 18:14, ranworthbreeze said:

One part meths, one part white vinegar, one part white spirit, half part linseed oil, shaken in a bottle .

Regards

Alan 

Ice and a slice with that?:default_biggrin::default_coat:

• Haha 2

On 04/08/2019 at 18:14, ranworthbreeze said:

One part meths, one part white vinegar, one part white spirit, half part linseed oil, shaken in a bottle .

Are you sure it’s shaken, not stirred? :default_coat:

• Haha 3