Brilliant

Polly

I was reviewing our tool train for the work done, and on the whole it was pretty effective. 

Heat guns were fine; we used a variety of scrapers. Poppy’s suggested Harris Tungsten Carbide were a late entry in that we bought them mid-week, but were excellent and will do well next session from the outset. Thanks Poppy!

Makita random orbital sanders were next with 80 then 120 grit and lots of disc changes. We will do 220 just ahead of varnishing next year. 

Palm sanders were the weakest link, we have two, one Parkside which is not random orbital and one Tacklife, which is.

They both take a lot of controlling, and that is tiring, gor me more than Phill; also  the sanding pads were easy to dislodge on the Tacklife.

In deference to hoping not to suffocate(!) we supplemented breathing masks with a Henry Hoover. This was a major outlay but he did really well in keeping the air breathe-able and the workspace clean.

Ah, I should not forget the essential kettle and coffee.

So, I guess I need to give the mouse/palm sander a bit more consideration for next time; also the cabinet scrapers for tricky areas.

21 minutes ago, Polly said:

I was reviewing our tool train for the work done, and on the whole it was pretty effective. 

Heat guns were fine; we used a variety of scrapers. Poppy’s suggested Harris Tungsten Carbide were a late entry in that we bought them mid-week, but were excellent and will do well next session from the outset. Thanks Poppy!

Makita random orbital sanders were next with 80 then 120 grit and lots of disc changes. We will do 220 just ahead of varnishing next year. 

Palm sanders were the weakest link, we have two, one Parkside which is not random orbital and one Tacklife, which is.

They both take a lot of controlling, and that is tiring, gor me more than Phill; also  the sanding pads were easy to dislodge on the Tacklife.

In deference to hoping not to suffocate(!) we supplemented breathing masks with a Henry Hoover. This was a major outlay but he did really well in keeping the air breathe-able and the workspace clean.

Ah, I should not forget the essential kettle and coffee.

So, I guess I need to give the mouse/palm sander a bit more consideration for next time; also the cabinet scrapers for tricky areas.

I take the dust collection bag off my Makita and attach Henry straight to the outlet using a piece of pipe and jubilee clip. That sends 99.9% of all the dust into the hoover as it happens meaning a much cleaner work space.

for tight corners i find a sanding attachment on a multitool is effective.i have a nice parkside cordless one that works very well, plus it can saw in tight corners too, not orbital.

at home i have a dry vax large collection large  filter jobbie i got for a few quid at the boot fair, it connects to most of my tools (i made a reducer to fit the bandsaw, and it sucks most of the dust away.

my dad has just had to replace his james hoover, he got a henry to replace it as it had decided to smoke heavily (as in thick electrical magic smoke*). when he checked back in his records to when he bought it, it was 31 years ago, and cost £129, the replacement henry was only £99

* all electrical items contain magic smoke to make them work, if you release the magic smoke they stop working.

Dave, Ali is allowed to hug me if she wants to. i dont bite.

• Haha 3

We purchased a new wet / dry vac from Wickes to aid in picking up the dog hairs at home as the two Dyson pet vacuums we have last for about a minute before being clogged (we have welsh border collies) , in essence it is the same as a Henry but more powerful , the surprising thing is the cost !!! 

We are getting another for the boat 

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Wet+Dry-Vacuum-with-Blower-20L---1250W/p/215735

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

I take the dust collection bag off my Makita and attach Henry straight to the outlet using a piece of pipe and jubilee clip. That sends 99.9% of all the dust into the hoover as it happens meaning a much cleaner work space.

It's a vacuum cleaner, NOT a "Hoover", "Hoover" is a "brand name". :default_gbxhmm: I'm off now.......... 

On 31/08/2019 at 20:16, JanetAnne said:

And it`s a sander, NOT a Makita, Makita is another Brand name :default_gbxhmm: :default_gbxhmm: .  Right, i`m definitely off now ............... and fast :default_laugh:

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

By the way, is it an audible sander? The more noise, the more effect, I find!

Ah! That explains why Doug burbles his lips with his finger when he's sanding. I just knew there had to be a reason other than lack of cake! :default_norty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...